Scale Model Trains and Model Trains International

Dzine

On 19/05/2022 at 08:56, Dzine said:

Hi Jordan, Have PM'd a message with his address.  It's a great idea and happy to do the same if anyone else wants to write (remember he's not into electronic devices) so it'll have to be long-hand.  Kind regards Paul

Hi Folks,  I'm just about to post off a few magazines to Chris, BRM and Hornby.  If anyone else has anything to pass on, especially Railway and Continental Modeller, I know he'd be pleased to receive them and help occupy the time.  Kind regards Paul and thanks if you can help.

Edited by Dzine
Forgot to sign off
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There is a short but very complimentary section on Chris in the current #300 Model Rail in an article on the best of layout planning by Paul Lunn..who concludes by saying "I learnt more from him than anyone in our hobby"

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just packed up my little Titfield book and a bumper bundle of nonsense - poor Chris!

Thank you very much Paul for facilitating all of this, I hope he feels appreciated by a lot of people, he certainly is.

Simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

HI Folks,  Keep having the odd chat with Chris and sending modelling magazines. Had a fab letter from him too discussing his layouts, I think he's keen to get on with some modelling.  His health, apart form his legs, seems to be doing well but he's still waiting to know what happens next, but suspects it'll be a nursing home (he's hoping big enough to have a layout or two).  Kind regards Paul 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

I have a box of Scale Trains/Scale Model Trains/Airfix  magazines etc that I am going to offer free to a good home. If anyone is interested then please PM me , it would be collection only and I live in the M21 postal area of Manchester about 2 miles from the M60 J7.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks, Just a quick catch up.  Had a lovely long chat with Chris last week.  He's still at the same care home and waiting potentially for his left knee replacing.  Either way there seems to be a possible move, at some time in the future, to sheltered housing.  Our conversation soon moved to railways, he's been eyeing up a bay window in the room he has now and is trying to get someone to authorise moving records and equipment out of the way.  In the course of our conversation we drifted on to his memories of World War 2 (having been born in 1937) and the early post war film industry.  A thought occurred to me that as it's getting near to Christmas perhaps some of you following these posts might want to send a card or perhaps phone him with a Christmas message.  PM me for details if you do.  Kind regards Paul    

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been doing some tidying up of my home library, in the course of which I've scanned into a searchable pdf all the Model Trains International indexes that Chris Ellis compiled for issues 1-118. 

In case this index might be useful to anyone else the file is attached.  MTI indexes issues 1-118.pdf

(Obviously, a searchable pdf of the full contents of all the magazines would be much more useful, but that would require a) permission from all the copyright holders to be able to distribute it and b) time that I don't have!  But the indexes are do-able under the private research and study exemption, and better than nothing.)

I find that I'm referring to my back issues of MTI for inspiration more than any others in my modelling magazine collection. Paul @Dzine, if you still see Chris could you pass on my appreciation for the lasting value of his work?

Richard

PS If anyone has copies of MTI issues 5, 6, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18 or 20 that they no longer want then I'd be very happy to buy them from you to complete my set!

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Spelling and formatting
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Hi Richard, Yes I'm still in contact with Chris and will pass your message on to him.  I'm sure he will be pleased with your index, I certainly will as there are many bits and pieces I want to refer to from time to time, and can't find what I'm looking for.  Kindest regards Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, RichardT said:

PS If anyone has copies of MTI issues 5, 6, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18 or 20 that they no longer want then I'd be very happy to buy them from you to complete my set!

I had success in tracking down a back copy of a MTI issue with the Rother Valley Railway who have a second hand magazine sales site  https://www.rvr.org.uk/shop.html

• 5 months later...

If any one is interested in modelling PLA railways, then in the last issue of Model Trains February/March 1982 edited by Chris before handing over to Fred Game, there is my article "The Millwall Circle".   I do have the article still and if of interest please let me know.   Colin..

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2023 at 09:11, coline33 said:

If any one is interested in modelling PLA railways, then in the last issue of Model Trains February/March 1982 edited by Chris before handing over to Fred Game, there is my article "The Millwall Circle".   I do have the article still and if of interest please let me know.   Colin..

Hi Colin.

Pleased to see that you are still keeping active.

I would be interested in that article to perhaps research a small PLA layout.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks, I've just been catching up with Chris.  He's seems to be staying at the existing nursing home indefinitely.  His legs are causing great problems and he needs a wheelchair to go anywhere, otherwise he's bed bound.  Though his home is still full of layouts, he's not been able to get one into the nursing home for multiple reasons, not least is being able to operate it.  In the meantime he's desperate for reading material and would welcome any recent railway modelling magazines, books etc., either posted or dropped in at reception.  As in previous years, it would be good if any RMweb members could send him a Christmas card, please PM me if you need his address.

Kind regards Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 1 month later...

So wonderful to hear that Chris is still with us!

I still have fond memories from reading his articles in Airfix magazine back in the mid 1960’s, especially the ones about kitbashing the Airfix 1/76 scale Bren carrier into various Marks of light tanks.

In more recent years, once I got into model railways, my favourite and most avidly awaited magazine was Model Trains International, which never failed to arrive at my home in Canada and which I still have every issue….except for the first 16 issues sadly.

Please give Chris my best regards next you speak to him.

Gene Kruger,

Montreal,Canada

• Like 3