CAD for laser cut buildings, where to start?

• RMweb Gold

For a project I am working on I would like to have a go at laser cut ply buildings, but have no idea where to start. Is there a primer anywhere or can anyone recommend a good free software package for Mac so I can try to find my way around? 

Thanks in advance 

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Freecad is good but it's a very steep learning curve. Lots of tutorials on YouTube though. I know it is a 3d package but the Part Design workbench is really good for doing 2d design. Look out for MangoJelly solutions tutorials on YouTube.

• Thanks 1

I'd advise starting off using grey board/mount board rather than ply. Ply tends to have various voids and blobs of glue hiding inside which can result in uneven cutting.

I cut the parts for my Scalescenes signal box by laser using FreeCAD, which is my primary CAD/CAM software. It was definitely a lot easier than hacking away with a knife.

• Thanks 1

An important thing is to know about the laser that will be doing the cutting, it's well worth getting a few squares and circles cut (just a few cm in size is fine) this will show how accurate the cut is, a laser beam has a kerf (width of the cut) some systems automatically adjust for the cut width but many don't to get accurate fitting you need to know this.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had acrylic (perspex) laser cut using artwork produced in Inkscape.

Find yourself somewhere to do the laser cutting - they should be able to provide guidance on the format of the artwork - line colours for cut and "etch" as well as formats. They'll also be able to indicate how wide the laser cut it and recommended minimum spacing.

See 4D Model Shop for some examples

If you want to do the cutting yourself then find a local Hackspace.

Steven B.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look here;  

lasers are affordable, CO2 or Diode.  Or outsource it to an agency or a pro modeller.

But you need CAD skills:  there are lots of packages, I use TurboCAD.  Choose carefully, and learn it, because that’s where the rubber hits the road.  I got a lot of satisfaction from my loco shed build (see my Porth Dinllaen thread), it’s an amazing way of having the model you want, rather than what’s available in the shops.

Edited by Simond