Oh dear that's going to take a bit of metal bashing

great central

• RMweb Gold

GWR stuff doesn't really "do it" for me but that's sad to see. At least they have an extremely good engineering department there so hopefully they can unbend it themselves before it goes back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

More common problem than you would think. That's why they have the stay rods.

The stay rods seem to have done their job - the buffer beam does not seem to have been deformed much. Other parts of the footplating … not so good.

Some classes seem to have been more susceptible to this problem than others - LMS Compounds and Caley 60 class, for example. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

More common problem than you would think. That's why they have the stay rods.

Happened a few time during the preservation era.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=165309&search=Nr.+Bodmin

not quite as bad but bending of this nature crops up quite a bit in BR use as well.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

On 05/05/2022 at 18:11, Bucoops said:

GWR stuff doesn't really "do it" for me but that's sad to see. At least they have an extremely good engineering department there so hopefully they can unbend it themselves before it goes back.

Nor me either, but I do hope there is no damage to the frames - only needs something to be a fraction off line.

• Agree 1

On 11/05/2022 at 17:14, Boris said:

Well, dang , I'm glad its not just the NYMR that plays dodgems with trains

Happen a lot with wagon shunts and if it's not in the public eye then it gets brushed under the carpet. Replacement buffers and all is quiet

6 hours ago, 25901 said:

Happen a lot with wagon shunts and if it's not in the public eye then it gets brushed under the carpet. Replacement buffers and all is quiet

Yeah, because brushing it under the carpet goes down so well with the ORR these days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Boris said:

Yeah, because brushing it under the carpet goes down so well with the ORR these days.

Interesting you say that. A few on here know I had a accident some years ago shunting that put me in hospital for six weeks, still not made a statement to this day

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Sad to see, but I'm sure it will get fixed. 

Anyway, enlighten me, What does the CHN just behind the buffer beam stand for ? 

Edited by Dave John

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave John said:

Sad to see, but I'm sure it will get fixed. 

Anyway, enlighten me, What does the CHN just behind the buffer beam stand for ? 

I'll make a guess at Churston, following the practice of showing an abbreviated form of the depot name in that place

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...