Z21 reverse loop module choices

jaym481

I'm going to need two reverse loops on my layout. I have a Z21 (black), and i see Roco has a reverser module. Digikeijs also has one, and of course there's the PSX-AR which is common and favoured on my side of the pond. I think the AR only works through a short circuit, like a Frog Juicer, while the other two have that option, as well as being able to use block detection to achieve the aim.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with all or some of these, or any other module that might work, and could offer some advice. 

I think they all function by detecting a short circuit when a set of wheels bridges the rails which are of opposite polarity. 

I believe any of them ought in principle to work with any DCC system, but they need to act more quickly that the cut-out built into the command station/booster that feeds them or that would trip stopping the train.  So some combinations could prove incompatible.  Assuming they are compatible, some of the products claim more features than others, such as also combining additional overload cut-outs or automatically changing points to allow the train to come back out again.

People may have varying views on whether such features are worth the extra money.  If your reverse loop happens to be a hidden storage loop it may be useful to have an occupancy feedback detector built in, but otherwise I would just go for the cheapest.

I've not used any so far and I too would like to hear other views though.

Edited by Michael Hodgson

If you are wanting to use track detection for use with a program such as iTrain then you need to consider that most autoreverse modules when placed after a feedback unit will draw enough current to ‘trip’ the feedback - even when unoccupied, this showing permanent occupancy.

There are three ways to resolve this issue. 

a) use the auto reverse unit before the feedback unit, however this means that you use up to 16 feedbacks to be able to monitor just one bit of track

b) use a unit such as DR5013 that has a Loconet feedback built into it which means you must use Loconet

c) use an auto reverser like the LS Digital 5410 which can be placed after the feedback detection unit and will not show occupancy until a train enters the feedback.

I use both the DR5013 and the LS 5410, and I use them both in the short circuit modus operandi without any issues whatsoever.

Edited by WIMorrison
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

I have a Z21 and I used a Tam Valley Hex Juicer with two of its outputs connected to the two rails in the reversing loop. It worked without any issues.

My old layout didn't use any form of occupancy detection.

Regards,

John P

Thanks all. My local shop had two Digitrax AR1 units, which appear to be simple, and they were cheap. They should at least do the trick while I get things running. I can always change them out for something better in the future. 

Automation is a possibility, but some way in the future. Right now I'm just trying to get functioning track down so I can run a train.