To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Manning Wardle Old Class I Locomotive

Timber

This thread will document the building of the above engine.   This is still work in progress but hopefully by starting this thread it will motivate me to finish the build.

I am trying to achieve a few things here:

Add to my collection of S Scale Brecon and Merthyr locomotives, the B&M had three of these locomotives

Make a locomotive that can be taken straight off the 3D printer and built in a few hours

Make a more sophisticated engine that has an integrated etched frame.

So this is where I am up to, I have a working prototype that has a few defects:

Cab dimensions are wrong so have now been corrected

The connecting rods are binding in forward, the engine runs nicely in reverse but binding (slightly) when going forward, 

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This is by far the most complex piece of Fusion 360 work I have attempted and I have learnt a massive amount in the process.  I have tried to keep the build structured into components, have constrained everything that I can constrain and added comments so that I can remember how the drawing is created.

That said I have still struggled with the stability of the design.   This is not a failing in Fusion 360, it is simply my design evolving, sometimes not in the most ellegate way.  Where possible I have gone back and simplified sections but at some point I will go through the whole design end to end and reorder some of the construction.

This is the latest design that I plan to print over the weekend,

Screenshot (143).png

Edited by Timber
  • Like 2

3D prints were an improvement.   I have located the binding problem to the connecting rods .....once i have a working model I will go back and try and improve the print quality.   But for now better to build something and find all the snags than keep messing around with the print.

unnamed (9).jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 7

Waiting on new etches for the connecting rods and to print some new wheel centres .   Originally I had a simple compensation system but took this feature out to help get to the bottom of what was causing the binding.   Once the new connecting rods are proven I will reintroduce the compensation.   That said the engine runs well on a fixed chassis, the EM profile Ultrascale wheels seem to work well.  

unnamed (20).jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first time that I have been able to get on RMWeb since you sent me some photos of the completed prototype and it is absolutely brilliant, a triumph of complex design. I certainly want one of these for Blakey, to become the Farndale Iron Company's shunter bringing in ironstone and potash wagons from the Farndale mines. I will probably also build one for the 5'3" as they did get over to Ireland as contractor's engines. Please keep us all posted about progress.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Rosedale.   

I now have the connecting rods sorted and have been advised by one of our more experienced 3D printing members to try the green water washable resin.

It is amazing.   Almost too good as it is highlighting some errors in my artwork.

On this model I have opened out the front and rear bearings so that there is a little bit of vertical play downwards.  A small spring wire above will offer some simple compensation.   The resin is really hard - I cannot imagine an axle wearing this out any time soon.

Tomorrow I will print the version for the metal chassis.  

unnamed (24).jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 4

Another member asked me about the chimney.   There appeared to be a number of differenty chimney types.   This is the one I am copying.   Maybe on my model the bottom collar is too high and the top too low.   I will adjust for the next print,

image_67177729.JPG

• Like 3

20220605_153616.thumb.jpg.05a2c6813f635c2cf8f6d337c862f376.jpgI am using the same resin in my Mars 2 Pro.

Print settings are the default settings as set by Chitubox (which match the Elegoo recommended settings on their website) with the exception of the exposure time for the bottom layers which I have reduced from 35 seconds to 15 seconds and 0.03mm layer size.

This morning's print of APL13's LNWR Dia 16 Brake Van.

The layer lines disappear under the first coat of paint, they are more visible because of the transclucent resin.

Rob

Timber, Are you putting the rivets on the tank top?

425265931_MalvernTank.thumb.jpg.720ef16ecfc42240346d6fe82a05d67f.jpg

Edited by Rob R
Question on MW tank rivets
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes rivets are on the tank.  Just noticed that I need two central columns of rivets rather than the one that I currently have.   This is easily changed.   My rivets may also be a little too big but I can easily make these smaller as I finish up

IMG_3263.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

High Level Gearbox and a High Level motor are used to power the locomotive.   I have used a few of these motors and they are exceptionally powerful for their size,

image_67156737.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, the main difference between “Old Class I”and “Class K” (some of which may have been new class I) was in length: boiler and wheelbase (middle to rear).

If that’s so, will you be producing a K class as well?

(Picture below from ColinBinnie.com, via http://britbahn.wikidot.com/manning-wardle-k-class)

91A28F48-5DE4-4E07-A52C-0DAD93B4309E.jpeg.763a097e268b3219d46d67deb13408c5.jpeg

• Agree 2