Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Sci-Fi model railways - Two Sequels to Cato Pass

Hello,

Some of you may know me, Laurie Calvert, as the creator of a science-fiction model railway called Cato Pass. Built in Nov 2015 it has displayed at 61 shows, been in several magazines, been on TV, BBC news, and been lucky enough to pick up an award or two. It has been a wonderful ride culminating in me working with a team from Hornby to produce some of the sci-fi Steampunk designs in 2020. 

This year I have managed to make not one but two sequel layouts to complete the trilogy, for future exhibition display, using the same 6x2ft format of an underground cavern set on a moon of Saturn. These are imaginative designs, hopefully inspiring a different type of modeller into our wonderful hobby. These especially seem of interest to families, and there are even audience buttons for them to control certain things. So I hope some of you can appreciate the angle I am coming from. 

The first is Cato Cove, an underground dockyard set on Titan, where the Steampunk Junk Collection Ship is under dinosaur fish attack, whilst the Steampunk locos race around, and aliens attack on the surface. Search on YouTube 'Calvertfilm Cato Cove Pt17 Running Session of Sci-Fi Model Railway'

The Second is Cato Inferno, an underground ice cavern on Mimas, with a Dropship landing pad which is on fire after being attacked by Dragons. It also features a huge loco called Colossus which spans three adjacent tracks and shuttles back and forth trying to escape the Steampunk retaliation. 

I could only managed to attach one video/YouTube link to the finished models but on my 'Calvertfilm' channel you will find build videos if you wish to know how I achieved any of the effects, such as the large realistic fire effect, which wasn't cheap but the most realistic way I could achieve the effect I wanted. Still most hobbies aren't cheap are they? lol. I will also attach some images for your perusal. 

I make regular layouts too, and I know Sci-Fi and Steampunk are not everyone's cup of tea, but hopefully there is room in the hobby for these imaginative and detailed models, and that you can appreciate the modelling and the ideas. I hope to see some of you in the future as I display these at shows. Please enjoy. 

Regards, Laurie 

1CatoCoveHeader.jpg

15RevengeShip.jpg

20LeanderLoco&IllustriuosPullmanCoach.jpg

60KrootTauOnSurface.jpg

67DinoFishAttack.jpg

80SubmarineLuna.jpg

100KatoRocketLoco.jpg

110StingrayAirboat.jpg

350CraneFish.jpg

1CatoInfernoOverallShot.jpg

4LightstormMallardLREffects-.jpg

10FlamesLREffectsLREffects--7.jpg

20FlamesLREffects--14.jpg

29LightningLREffects--12.jpg

43ColossusLREffects--3.jpg

45OverallViewLREffects--15.jpg

90LeanderSciFiLocoLREffects--24.jpg

245TRexLREffects--2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Very clever stuff!

It’s not something I would do but I can certainly admire the imagination, craftsmanship and talent that has gone into this, it’s quite amazing actually. The dragon attack scenes are fantastic, literally!

Cheers,

John 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wonderfully imaginative - my grandson would love the dinosaur..(and the rest) ... the "triple track double loco" is great as is the steam punk A4.... seen your first layout at shows and you always had a large audience so popular subject - hope to see these one day.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2022 at 08:51, Phil Parker said:

If you work in N gauge, there are loco kits...

Space Train.jpg

Not exactly my "thing" - but clever and imaginative, nonetheless.

The box art is interesting - even if I can't help wondering exactly how long the train kit is when assembled (how many vehicles, that sort of thing).

OK - I wouldn't be surprised if the box were to have another picture on it (which we can't see from this angle) showing what's actually in the box.

My comments aren't a criticism - just an observation - and I suspect that similar comments could probably be levelled at some kits etc that were aimed at the UK market.

Anyway, I'm sure that the box art would fire up some people's imagination - and anyone being presented with one of these would be in for a treat.

Ultimately, isn't this what our hobby should really be about?