Victoria Wallsend wagons at Parkhill

sir douglas

hi all, im modifying an o gauge wagon into a Parkhill dumb buffer inspired some photos but they are a bit blurry, one of them can be read but not completely. does anybody have any better photo of one or even what colour they were

what i can make out from the best photo, 

"Victoria Coal & Coke Co"

"----?----- Wallsend Coal"

2076977862_wagonPOparkhilldumbbuffer(2).jpg.2e1b2d00c5100ed1cd767bdd9bc3b44a.jpg

1664151560_wagonPOparkhilldumbbuffer(3).jpg.3c625d699b55a05d723d8cadeb1e62fe.jpg

1976885967_wagonPOparkhilldumbbuffer(4).jpg.d0d64eb591a9b159bda2c7c39d43126c.jpg

The very useful index of PO wagons in print on the Lightmoor Press website shows entries for Victoria Coal Company in Wakefield as Volume 7 page 132 and Volume 9 page 6 within the Turton series. There is also a reference to Wallsend Colliery at Hepburn in Peter Matthew’s book on page 38.

• Like 1

Wallsend is interesting. Is this an original case of taking coal to Newcastle? If so, what was special about the coal? I know that the Haigh Moor seam was famed for it's housecoal but this must have been a special order.

Edited by doilum
Predictive text error

3 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

The very useful index of PO wagons in print on the Lightmoor Press website shows entries for Victoria Coal Company in Wakefield as Volume 7 page 132 and Volume 9 page 6 within the Turton series. There is also a reference to Wallsend Colliery at Hepburn in Peter Matthew’s book on page 38.

is that this one?

https://lightmoor.co.uk/books/private-owner-wagons-a-seventh-collection/L9358

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, sir douglas said:

hi all, im modifying an o gauge wagon into a Parkhill dumb buffer inspired some photos but they are a bit blurry, one of them can be read but not completely. does anybody have any better photo of one or even what colour they were

what i can make out from the best photo, 

"Victoria Coal & Coke Co"

"----?----- Wallsend Coal"

1976885967_wagonPOparkhilldumbbuffer(4).jpg.d0d64eb591a9b159bda2c7c39d43126c.jpg

The missing word looks like 'Park Hill' to me from the photo, I'll have a look through my wagon books later to see if I can confirm it or find any other photos.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doilum said:

Wallsend is interesting. Is this an original case of taking coal to Newcastle? If so, what was special about the coal? I know that the High Moor seam was famed for it's housecoal but this must have been a special order.

According to https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/wallsend/

"Wallsend coal was well-known and highly prized in the London market for its quality. In fact similar grades of coal mined at other collieries in other parts of the region were sometimes branded with the name ‘Wallsend’ (alongside the particular colliery’s name) as a mark of quality."

1 hour ago, Nick Lawson said:

According to https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/wallsend/

"Wallsend coal was well-known and highly prized in the London market for its quality. In fact similar grades of coal mined at other collieries in other parts of the region were sometimes branded with the name ‘Wallsend’ (alongside the particular colliery’s name) as a mark of quality."

Sorry I had failed to spot the auto correction error. It should have said " Haigh Moor". I will edit the original.

• RMweb Premium

The photo in Keith Turton 9 (p.6) is no clearer than the OP photos and is of one Victoria wagon in amongst a lot of other wagons.

The photo in @Nick Lawson's last posted link can be expanded (on my tablet) to clearly read the missing words as Park Hill. I'll keep looking through my other wagon books to see if there are any other pictures are in them that may be of use, you never know. Good luck with the wagon.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

There's nothing in the 4 Hudon books, ive even got 1 & 2 of the Modellers Sketchbook by A.G. Thomas but keep forgetting to get the No3. Theres nothing in the sketchbooks either. i dont have any of the Turton books but am always thinking about getting one of them

• Like 1