1967 home layout with "full sized" signal box

DavidB-AU

• DavidB-AU changed the title to 1967 home layout with "full sized" signal box
  • RMweb Premium

Vic and Louie Martin, whose layout in Kent replicated the complete working timetable in and out of St Pancras in 1930. Jack Ray described them and their layout, more affectionately than did the film, in his book "A Lifetime with 0 Gauge".

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Superb ! Reading through old Railway Modellers from the 60s and 70s, a lot of layouts used war surplus bomb selector switches and multi-pin plugs. 

GPO relays were another staple well into the 1970s.

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Superb ! Reading through old Railway Modellers from the 60s and 70s, a lot of layouts used war surplus bomb selector switches and multi-pin plugs. 

Very reliable switches.  The War Dept had obviously ordered far more of these switches than the RAF could conceivably have needed for Lancasters.  You could buy them in Government surplus stores all over the country.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Very reliable switches.  The War Dept had obviously ordered far more of these switches than the RAF could conceivably have needed for Lancasters.  You could buy them in Government surplus stores all over the country.

By the 1970s, the majority of Lancasters that made it home had long been scrapped, so the selector switches may well have been "secondhand".

• Agree 1

GPO lever key switches were very cheap to free in the 70s, not just in the UK but in other Commonwealth countries that had adopted the same technology. Now you can pay as much as a 4 wheel wagon for one of them!

DSCF4148.jpg.3191d8faf93d46d63cb244d4f8e736ea.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Pandora said:

Here is a Blue Peter episode describing "Copenhagen Fields".

Hats off to Blue Peter for their  due respect and regard for the model.

We had to ask for the studio lights to be turned off as the layout was slowing being cooked by them!  The layout has been on BP three times if I remember correctly.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/07/2022 at 17:26, The Stationmaster said:

1970s?  I still have a considerable stock of them stashed away 😇

3000, 600 or 19 type? A.N others?

In 1963/4 I was testing the damn things using a device called a "combination test set" In GPO Sherlock Street as we watched the trains pass on the viaduct towards Moor Street Station.

On 10/07/2022 at 07:47, Pandora said:

Here is a Blue Peter episode describing "Copenhagen Fields".

Hats off to Blue Peter for their  due respect and regard for the model.

Though perhaps a bit risky letting Mark Curry anywhere near it....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2022 at 12:20, DavidB-AU said:

GPO lever key switches were very cheap to free in the 70s, not just in the UK but in other Commonwealth countries that had adopted the same technology. Now you can pay as much as a 4 wheel wagon for one of them!

DSCF4148.jpg.3191d8faf93d46d63cb244d4f8e736ea.jpg

Speaking of which, does anyone in Melbourne want any similar relays - the 3000 type?

I have a plastic tube full, at least 50 and a suitable Telecom 48 volt power supply.

I could assist in getting them to you in the metro area. In theory I could send them anywhere, but they're heavy and you will be paying postage.

• Like 1