NGRM Online

slateworks

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Of course there is always the possibility the admin has taken the site down for his holidays, it's an extreme way to do it, but it means he can rest on holiday without having to worry about users posting inflammatory content.

See this from the forums owners:

He wouldn't switch the forum off to go on holiday, it's entirely unplanned due to something the hosting company has done.  Being on holiday, he can't fix it until he gets back.

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, Moxy said:

He wouldn't switch the forum off to go on holiday, it's entirely unplanned due to something the hosting company has done.  Being on holiday, he can't fix it until he gets back.

Somegthing like an server upgrade and it's wiped the admin.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lesmond said:

Hello fellow (temporary) refugees :)

Good to see modelling under way, I've stuck some bits of cardboard together so nothing worth taking a photo of.

Will see what today brings...

Les

Hi Les, I’m sure you could make a few bits of cardboard into something worth seeing - unless you’re adopting my approach to modelling and they’re not actually supposed to be stuck together 😃.  With just some attention needed to the paintwork on the solebars to complete my latest 009 wagon, I’ve been able to test run a goods train on the CAL:

IMG_4928.jpeg.25cf5fdd9f81a706ba919be661b14407.jpeg

Trouble is, even this short train now fills the yard siding, such that no other train can get past.  The planning authorities are starting to hear whisperings along the lines of “so why not plan CAL2 ?” which I admit I’d not been working towards at the moment*.  As for what today brings, the postman has delivered an interesting looking parcel to open after work.  All good here, Keith.

*Apologies to Doug ( @slateworks ) of course for mentioning layout extensions in his thread (an NGRM in-joke, sorry)

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(clearer picture)
  • Like 3

Hi,  Les.  Welcome aboard.  For the meantime (I hope) it beats paddling an inflatable boat across the Channel....

Here's my latest Bodge-o-ploy.

IMG_2091

There's a particular weak point in these builds.   The boiler tube is of butyrate (whatever that may be),  and it doesn't take well with styrene solvent.     So I have used two-part epoxy well slathered on to fix it to the styrene of which the rest of the structure is made.  OK for tank engines,  where there is a large contact area between the hacked-out edges of much of the tube and the underlying main box structure.    But not so good in tender locomotives,  where the boiler tube tends to be glued only to the front of the firebox,  and secured at its front end by some combination of glue and bolt.  At the firebox end,  matters are complicated by the fact that there's usually a major cut-out in this area to accommodate the motor,  so reducing the extent of possible contact and support..

So contact area for the glue needs to be maximised,  and some support given.  In the past,  I've done this by carving a segmental piece of 80 thou styrene sheet to attach to the front of the firebox in order to support the boiler,  which slides into position over it after it has been liberally coated with two-part epoxy.  This has given me no trouble so far.  But it is untidy even by my standards,  and the increment in surface area isn't as much as I'd wish.

A small eureka moment has been today to fashion the support piece from nested styrene tubes.  Tidier.  And it gives the possibility of increasing the contact area a bit for the glue to grasp on to.  We'll see if/how well it works....

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi Les, I’m sure you could make a few bits of cardboard into something worth seeing 

Really, really not this time, but I'll report when there's some progress. Looking good at your end though.

@auldreekie - great progress there too, looking really well. I've had the same with various types of pipe.

Les

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Are you suggesting NGRM folk are narrow minded 🤣

We will even talk to the enormous number of you who model 4mm/ft with a gauge of 49.5 inches....... 😉

Edited by bandmbill
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bandmbill said:

We will even talk to the enormous number of you who model 4mm/ft with a gauge of 49.5 inches....... 😉

A bit like representing 18" with 9mm track in 7mm scale - possibly?

• Like 1

Well, this has made me dig out the RMweb login for the first time in a while!

No NG modelling update from me at the moment though I'm afraid - the mojo has taken a bit of a hit which I'm trying to resolve with some aircraft modelling, and sorting the house out enough that there's space in the garage for an actual layout for the first time ever...

• Friendly/supportive 1