Brush Type 2 Re-Birth - Judgement Day

Hi James,

Not sure how I missed your work on the 31 until now. I have just boxed my dozen or so lima models up ready for a future house move last week but my next project after Rannoch is finished is to build a section of the Furness line where I grew up watching 31's. I have always liked the lima 31's as they just look right to me and seeing the results of your work show just what can be achieved if you have the skills and patience. I have a pair of coal 31's for the flask workings which might just be prime candidates in the future for a works overhaul. I'll just need to remember this thread when I eventually get around to them.

Great work and very inspirational.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi James, nice looking loco and a fitting finale to this thread, it inspired me to treat my Lima Cl.40 to a paint repair and re-chassis job. Brilliant work cheers Phil.

I'm so pleased this thread has encourage and inspired others to do some modelling - especially projects where the outlay isn't too big too. Carefully chosen budget projects can be very satisfying indeed.

Great work and very inspirational.

Thanks Mark :)

I hope it's all of some use when you come to do yours!

Must admit I've been surprised and overwhelmed by the interest this little project has had -as well as replies on here I've had e-mails about it via my blog. It seems like there's a real desire for an accurate model of a 31!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi James,

I have been meaning to do a Hornby/ Bachmann 25 since I saw Jims a while back, following your progress might just get me fired up to do it. Any chance you could start a thread.

I am also planning to put some Heljan class 47 running gear under one of my Lima 47s did you ever finish yours off?

Happy New Year, cheers Peter.

I have been meaning to do a Hornby/ Bachmann 25 since I saw Jims a while back, following your progress might just get me fired up to do it. Any chance you could start a thread.

I can do if you think it would be of interest. :)

I am also planning to put some Heljan class 47 running gear under one of my Lima 47s did you ever finish yours off?

Haven't got any further with that one yet - it's been on a shelf for some time now! I'm not in too of a rush to finish it as as a work in progress it'll be useful at Scalefour North :) Though I realise that Wakefield may be a little far for you Peter!

Hi James,

Well thats two of us.

Re the Heljan 47 chassis I might get in touch if I need any extra info on what you did, if thats ok. I should be right by just looking at the pics you have already posted.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the interest! Once I've made a start properly, I'll post something a little more substanial on here :)

Re the Heljan 47 chassis I might get in touch if I need any extra info on what you did, if thats ok.

Of course it's ok :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a couple of days recently where I've deliberately not knocked out immediately to give me a mintue so I could go to the toilet as it's been that busy!

Might try and take some modelling with me this lot of lates - our first break comes at 2200 for about half an hour so a week of that may see progress on something! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi James, et al,

Just caught up with this thread again, although much of the content was familar from your own blog James, and I thought I ought to book mark this as I've a 31 waiting in the wings to be done... I've two actually, but one is still with Hornby awaiting fixing of a swollen chassis that prevented body removal. I understand the issues with the Lima body being "better" but I really want to spend some time taking a long hard look at the Hornby body to work out what's wrong with it and see if it could be corrected. However, that's in the queue... must get the 47 finished first ;-) At least the Western has been side-stepped for now and I'll maybe come back to one of those at some point one day.

Pleased to have "registered" on the thread....

Jon

Great stuff Peter! Glad all my ramblings have inspired you!

How did you find the transplant? Hopefully it was straight forward!

Thanks James,

All went well apart from me drilling the hole for the bogie in the wrong place at one end, which I fixed the next night I was out there. I also had the PCB sitting a bit high and the body wouldn't go on. Apart from that no problems. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi James, et al,

Just caught up with this thread again, although much of the content was familar from your own blog James, and I thought I ought to book mark this as I've a 31 waiting in the wings to be done... I've two actually, but one is still with Hornby awaiting fixing of a swollen chassis that prevented body removal. I understand the issues with the Lima body being "better" but I really want to spend some time taking a long hard look at the Hornby body to work out what's wrong with it and see if it could be corrected. However, that's in the queue... must get the 47 finished first ;-) At least the Western has been side-stepped for now and I'll maybe come back to one of those at some point one day.

Pleased to have "registered" on the thread....

Jon

I'll be interested to see your conclusions of the Limby Body Vs Hornby detailed body.

I'm torn between the Hornby detailed 31 or rebuilding Lima 31s with Hornby 31 motors and bogies (if they can be bought for the right price, as new spare parts it just doesn't feel economic, once lighting, detailing parts & DCC mods are factored in).

The issue I feel is the lack of a curve of the bodyside on the Hornby body - but Jon can work miracles so he may well sort it!

Mine will be on my demo at Scalefour North in a month's time if anyone would like to see it for themselves :)

The issue I feel is the lack of a curve of the bodyside on the Hornby body - but Jon can work miracles so he may well sort it!

Mine will be on my demo at Scalefour North in a month's time if anyone would like to see it for themselves :)

:O ... yikes. I'd best find some time to look at this at some point then. Lack of curve eh???? OK, I'll take a look :blind:

Archived