Brush Type 2 Re-Birth - Judgement Day

Sean,

I'm quite pleased that it turns out I'm not the only one who's thought about this! I think it shows the more discerning modeller isn't quite happy with Hornby's Class 31 but does appreciate the mechanical advantages it has. And I'm pleased to have saved you pondering time! laugh.gif

Thanks James.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the "Discerning Modeller" label though?

Anywho, keep the updates coming. For the record, I'm still a fan of the Lima bodies, using 37's on VI trains chassis and 40's on Bachmann chassis in my current collection. With a little detail, my opinion is, the Lima bodies can still hold their own.....

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

(I think) and the box fitted body cannot be bought with boiler filler steps up the side, (again, I think).

Only on the currently not listed original GSYP version.

Quite a popular model, last time I saw one for sale Lord Lucan was passing it to Elvis Presley :rolleyes:

Come on Simon, play the game, re-release it please.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the "Discerning Modeller" label though?

If you're thinking about things like this, then the label applies in some form!

Anywho, keep the updates coming. For the record, I'm still a fan of the Lima bodies, using 37's on VI trains chassis and 40's on Bachmann chassis in my current collection. With a little detail, my opinion is, the Lima bodies can still hold their own.....

I agree with you there, though I'm not sure I'd use the Class 37 body any more, though I have in the past -

DSCF1997a.jpg

The Class 40, yes, the Lima one is still the best starting for an accurate model. I still like the class 47, though the Vi one is rather nice. Like Lima, Vi Trains seem to have a very subtle touch when it comes to details; Lima's moulded detail (the standard of tooling rather than out and out accuracy) is still better than most recent RTR diesels imho.

Come on Simon, play the game, re-release it please.

With my method it's very easy to pick and choose the body varients you want :)

I agree with you there, though I'm not sure I'd use the Class 37 body any more, though I have in the past -

DSCF1997a.jpg

Well James, If thats a Lima 37, (as I suspect it is), thats point proved. Your model looks great! If it is a Lima one, how did you flush glaze the cab windows? I'm still trying to find a good method for my Lima's with replacement screen frames.....

Thanks Sean!

Simple way to glaze the front windows, before the etch is applied, use it to scribe the window panes and cut and make them fit perfectly early on. Very easy when the etch is flat! When required, they will fit perfectly! Just make a couple of spares just in case of mishaps! Or keep a spare windscreen etch for the purpose!

This was in the days before Shawplan's laser cut glazing of course!

I think it does show the Lima mouldings have potential - I wouldn't use the 37 again though, as I really like the Bachmann model as a base, and the body is lacking in height by about 6"! A massive error really, brought about by the need to clear NEM flanges, which didn't mix well with the 37's low slung body. To keep the overall height correct, they compressed the body, shame really as if it was to scale in every respect, I'd still be using them. I completed two of these conversion, each one with corrected tumbleholme and cab windows, plus the same style mechanism as fitted to the 31!

Hi James,

Thats the first time I have seen a full pic of your 37 and it looks superb. I have been thinking about getting a Vi chassis for my last remaining Lima 37 and that pic has just about made my mind up. biggrin.gif

The number rang some bells so I had a look in my slide book. On the 22.9.90 I took some pics of the loco at Norwich then took the train to Yarmouth and took some more pics. I am pretty sure by 1990 it would have been one of the last 37s still in blue.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

really good this mate

im building an a1 models baby deltic and did use a Hornby class 29 chassis but after seeing how you've used the different chassis to power the model, I got my ruler out and check dimensions of various bo bo locos and ive now settled on a Bachmann 24/25 chassis and gunna make that fit.

Really enjoy seeing how people on here come up with solutions to problems gives me plently more ideas for my own ,models

Guest 30-something

Im about to start on re-powering a Hornby 29 using a Bach 25 chassis. I know the body isnt the best detailed but with a bit of work it can look quite good.

Guaranteed that just as Im waiting on the final coat of varnish to dry, one of the majors will announce an all signing and dancing one!

Thats the first time I have seen a full pic of your 37 and it looks superb. I have been thinking about getting a Vi chassis for my last remaining Lima 37 and that pic has just about made my mind up. biggrin.gif

If you want more details I can post them here; I thought time had passed for interest in this conversion though. Nice to be proved otherwise :)

The number rang some bells so I had a look in my slide book. On the 22.9.90 I took some pics of the loco at Norwich then took the train to Yarmouth and took some more pics. I am pretty sure by 1990 it would have been one of the last 37s still in blue.

I believe it was; I just picked it out at the time as it was an interesting combination with BR blue paint, high intensity headlights, black painted headcode boxes and the orange cantrail line. Oh, and it was filthy in the pictures I found! This is the photo from Martin Bray's site which I used -

http://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/images/class37/37219-ipswichsp-310791-w.jpg

There are a couple of errors, but I'm still pleased with it :)

really good this mate

im building an a1 models baby deltic and did use a Hornby class 29 chassis but after seeing how you've used the different chassis to power the model, I got my ruler out and check dimensions of various bo bo locos and ive now settled on a Bachmann 24/25 chassis and gunna make that fit.

Really enjoy seeing how people on here come up with solutions to problems gives me plently more ideas for my own ,models

Im about to start on re-powering a Hornby 29 using a Bach 25 chassis. I know the body isnt the best detailed but with a bit of work it can look quite good.

It's just good to see people are still undertaking conversions, despite the huge number of RTR models coming on stream!

Guest 30-something

It's just good to see people are still undertaking conversions, despite the huge number of RTR models coming on stream!

Im doing the conversion for a couple of reasons, the main being that there isnt an RTR 29 to the latest standards, and the fact that the rest of my stock are all-wheel drive, so I strive for consistent running across my fleet. Plus, Im still a modeller at heart!

I'll start a thread when I get started!

"I've seen them go for £45 - if you can get £20 for the body, £25 for all the mechanism bits seems quite good value! "

Just pass this on, but on Friday I was down the Bluebell Railway at Sheffield Park and Modelzone had a tent there selling model railway equipment and I managed to pick up a weathered Blue Hornby 31270. On the box was written "chassis broken, motor ok", price £25. This was a return so I don't know if Mzone has this type of offer on sale in their stores, I certainly haven't seen any. Not my cup of tea but there was a class 60 with only 3 buffers for £40, again a return.

Now I model early 60's and this blue 31 doesn't fit the bill, so if anyone would like to swap this weathered Hornby 31270 body for a green Hornby class 31 headcoded body please get in touch.

Thanks Sean!

Simple way to glaze the front windows, before the etch is applied, use it to scribe the window panes and cut and make them fit perfectly early on. Very easy when the etch is flat! When required, they will fit perfectly! Just make a couple of spares just in case of mishaps! Or keep a spare windscreen etch for the purpose!

This was in the days before Shawplan's laser cut glazing of course!

Hi James.

Aint it always the simple ideas, (as above), that are the best!

I was going to get a number of the Shawplan windows, but, (And its only my opinion), they're a little expensive. I have 6 x 40's and 3 x 37's so it was never going to be cheap!...... I reckon there'll be a flush glazing frenzy soon in Penguinville!......

Cheers.

Sean.

Aint it always the simple ideas, (as above), that are the best!

I started doing this after using the Brassmasters etches for a Western and Brian included etched templates with the original Class 40 etches too.

I can see how that could be a little expensive in your case though! The only way to view the price in this context is with the time saved with the Laser cut glazing. I'm lazy and as I'm not buying loads at once will happily buy Brian's windows :D

Sadly with the 31 I'll be back to paper templates (from 'brass' rubbings!) and trail and error... At least side windows are easy! :lol:

James

I'm planning to make D5579 in Golden Ochre, so I'm reading this woith interest. I'd also be interested in your cl 37 conversions though, as this thread has given me another idea, and I've got an old Lima 37.

I'm going to put some about my older Class 37s on here very soon, I didn't think any one would be interested in them!

Just pass this on, but on Friday I was down the Bluebell Railway at Sheffield Park and Modelzone had a tent there selling model railway equipment and I managed to pick up a weathered Blue Hornby 31270. On the box was written "chassis broken, motor ok", price £25. This was a return so I don't know if Mzone has this type of offer on sale in their stores, I certainly haven't seen any. Not my cup of tea but there was a class 60 with only 3 buffers for £40, again a return.

Now I model early 60's and this blue 31 doesn't fit the bill, so if anyone would like to swap this weathered Hornby 31270 body for a green Hornby class 31 headcoded body please get in touch.

I'm sure you could sell the model as a whole to some of the people who've replied to this thread! :lol:

A little progress today;

DSCF2411.jpg

All roof grab irons successfully installed along with a Shawplan roof grille. Thecab fronts have all handrails and lamp irons in place now, just awaiting high instenity headlamps, which will need to be scratchbuilt. I've fitted Class 50 buffers from Hornby (spares via East Kent Models) and Shawplan etched backing plates.

DSCF2413.jpg

I feel the chassis is taking on a more solid feel as more parts are added. Once painted the moulded details should stand out more. Notice that I've removed the moulded brake blocks; they look hideous when mould out of line like this. Even though they are now 'missing' the eye tends to read the darkness where they should be and assume they're in the gloom behind.

I first did this with Lima Class 47 bogies and someone once asked how I'd improved the brakegear, not realisling that it had gone!

DSCF2414.jpg

The chassis now has the lower halves of the cabs in place; I'll need to fiddle about with the bulkheads as clearances are rather tight. The bulkheads will be attached to the body once painting and detailing is completed.

DSCF2415.jpg

I'm rather pleased how quickly this project is coming together - my projects aren't normally this trouble free!

"I'm sure you could sell the model as a whole to some of the people who've replied to this thread! "

Perhaps so, but it's all relative because I'd then have to look for a green Hornby 31? Perhaps I'll be adventurous and do a retro from 31270 back to D5800 if I can't get a green body.

Part of this thread reminds of some 20 odd years ago when you could use the Athearn PA1 drive unit and put it under an old Hornby class 37, it was good fun.

Perhaps so, but it's all relative because I'd then have to look for a green Hornby 31? Perhaps I'll be adventurous and do a retro from 31270 back to D5800 if I can't get a green body.

Or if you can find a Lima model with the body you want, you already have the new mechanism parts! :)

Part of this thread reminds of some 20 odd years ago when you could use the Athearn PA1 drive unit and put it under an old Hornby class 37, it was good fun.

Interestingly I had intended to use a Like-Like Proto 1000 PA-1 mechanism in this one, but that will probably power something like a Class 47 I think - the Like Like models are, I was told, made in the same factory as Hornby's far eastern produced models!

• RMweb Gold

Or if you can find a Lima model with the body you want, you already have the new mechanism parts! :)

Interestingly I had intended to use a Like-Like Proto 1000 PA-1 mechanism in this one, but that will probably power something like a Class 47 I think - the Like Like models are, I was told, made in the same factory as Hornby's far eastern produced models!

And run as smooth as silk, well mine all do, esp my SD45's, best runners i have.

Interesting conversion, I have an old lima 31 hiding somewhere, but would love to get another one, do it in railfreight grey and do such a conversion. It looks more 'right' than the Hornby model, well have to keep an eye out for a cheap mech from an obese chassis and have a crack. How much do lima 31's go for these days? Mind you, I have two lima Duff's awaiting Vi Trains chassis first!

As i am a wee bit younger I missed out on the whole 'hack a lima up' tradition, but it seems like great fun!

If you want more details I can post them here; I thought time had passed for interest in this conversion though. Nice to be proved otherwise smile.gif

I believe it was; I just picked it out at the time as it was an interesting combination with BR blue paint, high intensity headlights, black painted headcode boxes and the orange cantrail line. Oh, and it was filthy in the pictures I found! This is the photo from Martin Bray's site which I used -

http://www.martinbra...sp-310791-w.jpg

There are a couple of errors, but I'm still pleased with it smile.gif

Hi James,

There does seem to be a bit of interest on your 37 project so any details would be great.biggrin.gif

Martins pic shows the loco pretty much as I remember seeing it at Norwich, I will dig out my pic if you want. Your model certainly captures the look of the real loco.cool.gif

Cheers Peter.

Interesting conversion, I have an old lima 31 hiding somewhere, but would love to get another one, do it in railfreight grey and do such a conversion. It looks more 'right' than the Hornby model, well have to keep an eye out for a cheap mech from an obese chassis and have a crack. How much do lima 31's go for these days? Mind you, I have two lima Duff's awaiting Vi Trains chassis first!

As i am a wee bit younger I missed out on the whole 'hack a lima up' tradition, but it seems like great fun!

"A wee bit younger"?! I looked at your profile and you're the same age as me!

I've aquired Lima 31s for around £15 - £20 from eBay and shows. Members sales stalls at exhibitions seem to often be a good source of reasonably priced Lima locos.

There does seem to be a bit of interest on your 37 project so any details would be great.biggrin.gif

Martins pic shows the loco pretty much as I remember seeing it at Norwich, I will dig out my pic if you want. Your model certainly captures the look of the real loco.cool.gif

Thanks Peter!

At exhibitions 37 219 was always well received - I once turned downa four figure offer for it.

I'm going to do a full write up of it soon; I'll take a selection of new photos too!

Archived