Class 66 EWS in Calais ?

Hi Guys,

I went through the channel tunnel last week on business and as we arrived on the French side I was amazed to see a Class 66 parked up in one of the sidings, well my interests are 99% steam but I would be interested to find out why she was there, any ideas ?

Regards, Martyn.

A fair chunk (from memory around 60-ish of the 250) of the EWS class 66 fleet is no longer working in the UK, DB Schenker who now own EWS are using them for open-access freight work in France.

To put it another way....

EWS (previously owned by Canadian National from 2001 to 2007) started up a French subsidiary called Euro Cargo Rail in 2005, to take advantage of the opening up of French and other European markets to open access freight operations.

Up to 60 of EWS's 250 Class 66's were transferred from the UK to France, starting from the winter of 2005/06.

In addition, ECR ordered 60 brand new Class 66's (known as Class 77) for delivery direct to France. I think all these have been delivered.

From what I can gather, ECR Class 66's can be seen in Belgium, France, Switzerland and possibly Germany and northern Italy.

Many, if not all of the EWS 66's were due to return to the UK in the fullness of time, but the recession and downturn in traffic has delayed that process.

However a number have returned to the UK, but I've no idea how many?

I believe several of these returned (former EWS) ECR Class 66's featured in the UK autumn rail treatment operation.

DB acquired EWS in 2007, primarily to get hold of the ECR operation. The EWS UK freight operations, now under the guise of DB Schenker Rail (UK), simply came with the package.

And if you go to Poland....

Freightliner have a handful of class 66s along with some purpose bought versions.

Bulgaria also bought some class 87s, whilst Hungary has some class 86s

Paul

ECR have also a 'continental-gauge' version of the 66, known as a '77'; the main difference is a large air-con unit on top of each cab. They're painted grey, instead of red. The 66 fleet travel to the Spanish, Italian, Swiss and German borders- routine maintenance takes place near Rouen, so diagrams are rotated to allow them to visit regularily. Those French drivers I've spoken to compare them favourably with the older French locos- having travelled in the cab of one of those, I can see why...

Interestingly found out today that although the sheds are restricted to 60mph in the UK they are allowed up to 120KPH in France

They are all capable of 75mph with the exception of the 66/6 which have been re-geared for a higher tractive effort over top speed. Which is set at 60mph

It is the type of train that governs their top speed not the loco's. Class 6 is generally 60mph and Class 4 is 75mph. Hence most liners services and empty coal trains run (made up of bogie wagons) as class 4's. (unless you have a class 60 or a 66/6 on the front then it runs as a class 6 regardless whether its empty or full due to designed speeds of the loco)

Freightliner have opted for the class 70. top speed of 75mph and a haulage capacity that far out pulls anything in the UK so far.

Originally the locos in France were driven by English EWS drivers. As part of my taxi business, we used to collect drivers every few days, take them to Ashford where they'd go to France for a while to learn the lingo.

The English drivers were not popular with the French drivers (stealing "their" work). i gather the English crews would work quite a long way south, and across Belgium too. I gather they no longer work in France.

The 60/120 speed restriction comes directly from the in cab information thats being fitted now. I watched them being printed on thursday :rolleyes:

It may be that there have been changes made to the wheel profile, which would alter the maximum speed allowed- I've not heard of this been applied to locos, but I remember the Cartic-4s being restricted to 100 kph on the mainland (75 mph/120kph in UK), whist the STVA double-deckers were 120kph in France and 100 kph in the UK. They used to work out as mixed trains, but would return as blocks of one or other type, as it was easier to get paths as ME120s than MA100.

The drivers that Roy remembers taking to Ashford would have been the ones who trained the French ones- the French drivers they had the aggro off were SNCF ones who saw their work disappearing (and promptly went on strike in protest..). Most of the initial ECR drivers had been 'my' drivers at ET- about 10 went en-masse, following my old boss, Christian Costa. They thought it'd be a cushy number, but soon discovered that:-

1 freight trains go everywhere.

2 often at unpredictable times.

3 often at night.

ECR still have a British presence in France, in that some of the maintenance staff at Rouen are sent from Toton.

Archived