Jack's in, or "Shortliners shortline"

shortliner

With respect, Sir, I believe those are RS3s. Curves on the long hood suggest it, and the cab is more curvy, too.

on closer inspection, yep, RS-3's, now the photo is not as cool as before, but still is cool :)

With respect, Sir, I believe those are RS3s. Curves on the long hood suggest it, and the cab is more curvy, too.

Crikey (!), Ian, I didn't know RS3's ran on the Southern?

No, seriously, I'm impressed.....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Crikey (!), Ian, I didn't know RS3's ran on the Southern?

No, seriously, I'm impressed.....

Everybody thinks they know something! Mind you, even on RS3s, I can't recall whether the original air-cooled turbochargers were east-west, and the later water-cooled replacements were north-south - or vice versa, so knowledge is a bit patchy. And I'm hopeless on Baldwin roadswitchers, and most power after the late '70s. Never got to grips with U-boats, either. In short - this remark was pure luck!

To be honest, I went back and looked at them again, they are RS-2's not 3's. The RS-3 on the short and long hood has a box built up to the door, and on the other side, these seem to be lacking that, so these are RS-2's.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I went back and looked at them again, they are RS-2's not 3's. The RS-3 on the short and long hood has a box built up to the door, and on the other side, these seem to be lacking that, so these are RS-2's.

Can't argue with that! I assume these are Penn Central, which I think included Erie locos. The last batch of 31 RS2s, under spec E1661C, had uprated 1600 hp prime movers, and Erie had the very last delivery of this model in 1950. Interesting to note that, while I had always assumed that the A1A-A1A variant, the RSC2, was a development of the RS2, the first RSC2 was delivered to the Milwaukee a whole 4 weeks before the first RS2, to Detroit & Mac, in October 1946.

I know nothing of american trains. The only RS3 I know of is quite a bit smaller and can probably hit around 160mph :)

post-6894-090088100 1286923792_thumb.jpg

Cav

If you don't blow a fuse first.......remind me never to buy an Audi ever again...............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

If you don't blow a fuse first.......remind me never to buy an Audi ever again...............

Aw, c'mon Pete! With no speed limit on the Autobahnen - which have a very good safety record compared with ordinary roads in any other country - Germany will continue to build 'em like that. VW/Audi is now owned by Porsche, who, as it happens, built the original Audi RS for them years ago, the RS2 based upon the 80 Avant, with 300 bhp and uprated everything. Audi have now won Le Mans 9 times in 11 years, so I think their credentials for building such cars are pretty good. Point is - you can go to the supermarket in one of these, do the school run with the bambini etc. They only become a sportscar when you ask nicely.....

Apologies to Jack for taking his thread round the back of beyond yet again, natch!

My wife's A4 Quatrro 3.0 was a beautiful design - lovely driving position for a saloon etc., etc. Went through an average of 1 fuse per week (usually to do with lights), The ignition system failed in first three months. The Fuel injection system in six months.

My neighbour over here just bought one of those R8's I think they are called? Drove it home from the distributor on a Saturday afternoon turned it off - it never started again. Towed on the Monday, brand new car.

Nice designs though.

Best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work Jack. Didn't see your progres since the early summer. During my vacations, I built a temporary benchwork (5' x 4') and tried to mock up a more exact replica of Erie Terminal. Using more curved turnout would make it better. It can contain a total of 49 cars (all 40ft). However, I found out quickly it would be a pain to operate since it is too much wide. Honestly, I think your compression works far better than my rendition and doesn't looks like a pastiche.

From all the NYC maritime terminal, I think the Erie is the most interesting to model because of its simple trackage and various road/rail interfaces. Lot of action per square feet!

Erie_Mockup.jpg

Matt ;)

Well That is the Challenge over and complete - I have to say that , for me at least, it has been fun. Congratulations to all who joined and those who came up with ideas, Although the contest is finished this little freebie isn't included in the entry - if you have XTrkCad, here is a runable version with the four locos, and a load of cars

Thanks to ALL those who commented, made suggestions, and have watched the progress

Jack

erierr.xtc

• RMweb Gold

Well Jack I have a complaint to make. This thread has just stopped me from getting on with so many jobs that I should be doing this morning and you WILL get the blame when Jane gets back from work.laugh.gif Seriously although it is not my sort of thing I am truly impressed by your drive and vision. Whilst me and many others model armchairs the likes of you and others get on with the the work and that makes this place all the better. Very good thread and well worth the bo11ocking I will get later.

Good luck with the challenge.

Best regards Chris

• 3 years later...

Drizzly and rainy today, so I thought I'd have a fiddle about. Took one of my Underground Ernie chassis, and four resin castings from my plasticene masters, attacked the bogies and the castings with some rough sandpaper and used Araldite Rapid to stick the castings onto the bogie frames. Dug out a partly complete MDC/Roundhouse boxcab body-shell and then took some thick plasticard, cut a baseplate to fit the body and cut a hole to fit around the UE mechanism - It seems to run happily. and - at least to my eyes - looks reasonable. unsure.gif I need some of that very fine miniature lead shot (liquid lead?)to give it some weight - does anyone know who sells it?

Years ago I was stuck in one location for yonks and made a model to pass the time. In the age of pre-internet I used what I had to hand which was a lot of 9mm Para ammunition. So I “pulled” the “heads” off and used those..... Worked very well but I wouldn’t care to fly with that model nowadays, some people just don’t understand.

Best, Pete.

Edit: I didn’t realize that this thread was so old - I came to it via a link you posted, today, Jack!

Edit: I didn’t realize that this thread was so old - I came to it via a link you posted, today, Jack!

Wow! 2010 Layout Challenge!

A real rave from the grave ;)

them were the days. So much interesting stuff to re-read from them old back issues/archives.

Archived