Midland Main Line Electrification

Since they restarted the program there's roughly 150 stanchions of 3 different designs  gone up  in various states of assembly. Ground piles are in for most of the remaining route except around desborough and  braybrooke where the new feeder is being installed. Some preliminary signalling work has been done but no start yet made on the bridge rebuilding/ track lowering as required.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All

I came across this on the web:

https://bidstats.uk/tenders/2022/W21/775291288

it seems to indicate that electrification to South Wigston will have been done by others before the main project is carried out.  I appreciate that we are in a detailed planning period post IRP and if wiring to Wigston had been approved, the government would have announced it 12 times by now, but does anyone know anything.

I font even know what this site is.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, 6892 Oakhill Grange said:

Hi All

I came across this on the web:

https://bidstats.uk/tenders/2022/W21/775291288

it seems to indicate that electrification to South Wigston will have been done by others before the main project is carried out.  I appreciate that we are in a detailed planning period post IRP and if wiring to Wigston had been approved, the government would have announced it 12 times by now, but does anyone know anything.

I font even know what this site is.

Thanks

I'd say a call to those who might be interested in bidding for the work, letting them know the likely requirements so that they could make some preliminary estimates as costs and whether they wish to take their bids further

• Agree 2

£1bn Midland Mainline Electrification programme begins briefings | TheBusinessDesk.com

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/eastmidlands/news/2059368-1bn-midland-mainline-electrification-programme-begins-briefings

Work up for grabs on £1.3bn Midland Main Line electrification scheme | Construction News

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/civils/work-up-for-grabs-on-1-3bn-midland-main-line-electrification-scheme-24-05-2022/

Edited by ess1uk

8 hours ago, 6892 Oakhill Grange said:

That would be consistent with the behaviour of governments over the past decade or two, but they seem to be taking a different line now.  Possibly some spin doctor has decided it's counter-productive to announce something that won't be completed for some years, or to announce it multiple times, or to announce something that isn't in the "north".  

Thanks All

i was more interested in the apparent gap between Market H and South Wigston.

If the Market H scheme was to be extended or had been agreed to be extended to South Wigston, I imagine a politician would have told us.  But apart from a couple of posts earlier in this thread I have heard nothing.

Oakhill

1 hour ago, 6892 Oakhill Grange said:

Thanks All

i was more interested in the apparent gap between Market H and South Wigston.

If the Market H scheme was to be extended or had been agreed to be extended to South Wigston, I imagine a politician would have told us.  But apart from a couple of posts earlier in this thread I have heard nothing.

Oakhill

This reminds me of the OLE and other works that were being done between Colton Junction and Church Fenton last year, long before the formal announcement of funding for fully electrifying the Trans Pennine route. I think either NR just decided to keep on going, because they had some money in the budget and needed to keep an electrification team together, or the DfT nodded and winked, but which budget and from where has never been explained!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, ess1uk said:

All trains were diverted via Manton over the weekend for this, played hell with the Connect services to Corby and Kettering, all of which terminated at Wellingborough and led to some crowding on the Inter-City services that were the only ones serving Kettering and Corby.

I'm not sure which of the two Pipewell Rd bridges the work at the weekend replaced, there's one in Rushton and one in Desborough. Both have planning permission to be raised along with the Harborough Rd bridge in Desborough. From memory there's also a couple of farm track overbridges to the North.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 13/09/2022 at 10:01, RANGERS said:

All trains were diverted via Manton over the weekend for this, played hell with the Connect services to Corby and Kettering, all of which terminated at Wellingborough and led to some crowding on the Inter-City services that were the only ones serving Kettering and Corby.

I'm not sure which of the two Pipewell Rd bridges the work at the weekend replaced, there's one in Rushton and one in Desborough. Both have planning permission to be raised along with the Harborough Rd bridge in Desborough. From memory there's also a couple of farm track overbridges to the North.

The bridge replaced at the weekend was the one nearest to Glendon. Near where the contractors compound is. Just up the road from the triangular tower, for those that know the area. 

And I must admit at being sad to see the old arched bridges going.

Edited by NorthEndCab
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

"Following previous route upgrades between Corby and Bradford, this next phase of works will see the 12-mile section between Market Harborough and Wigston brought up to standards required to connect the entire route"

Interesting piece but the proof reader of the article missed the above. Should be Bedford!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

23 minutes ago, 1E BoY said:

"Following previous route upgrades between Corby and Bradford, this next phase of works will see the 12-mile section between Market Harborough and Wigston brought up to standards required to connect the entire route"

Interesting piece but the proof reader of the article missed the above. Should be Bedford!

i wondered if anyone else would notice that! :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

i wondered if anyone else would notice that! :)

The problem is that too much proof reading is done using the computer's spell check function or by the person who wrote the article. Proof reading your own work never works as you read what you wanted to appear and computers don't check that you have used the correct word, just that the word used is in the dictionary.

• Agree 8

10 hours ago, ess1uk said:

Is this the first stage of deflecting the criticism when the announcement is made that the East Mids leg of HS2 isn't going to happen?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

So apart from IF trains are diverted via Melton Mowbray, does this mean the diesel engines will be defunct after a few years of operation?

Wonder if that will be new trains again...

I wouldn’t mind a wager that it’ll be another 15 years, probably more, before the whole trunk EMR network is wired. That would put the new units on a similar footing to the current fleet in terms of replacement age.

As it is, the full plans/ timescales for reaching Sheffield are still to be declared (reaching Sheffield is still only an “ambition”) and depending on whats to come in the Budget/ Fiscal Statement/ whatever else it might be called, it may not happen before the replacements for the new fleet are life expired!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

40 minutes ago, RANGERS said:

I wouldn’t mind a wager that it’ll be another 15 years, probably more, before the whole trunk EMR network is wired. That would put the new units on a similar footing to the current fleet in terms of replacement age.

As it is, the full plans/ timescales for reaching Sheffield are still to be declared (reaching Sheffield is still only an “ambition”) and depending on whats to come in the Budget/ Fiscal Statement/ whatever else it might be called, it may not happen before the replacements for the new fleet are life expired!

If it happens at all 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just read the latest Modern Railways.  There is a news item saying that SPL powelines have been given the contract to wire Market Harborough to Wigston. There is mention that piling for mast foundations has already started.  There is also a photo of masts with small steelwork attached erected north of Market Harborough.  Some progress at least.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...