Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

A few pictures of my dads latest project. Arley in O gauge. to be displayed at the SVR autumn Gala at Hampton Loade.

post-5983-0-09807900-1345753566_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-70133700-1345753605_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-48405400-1345753665_thumb.jpg

sorry for the picture quality, I grabbed them quickly on my iphone

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Preservation. I was wondering about the signal

Box colours as they seem to be pink rather than light and dark stone. I know the box came from the Shrewsbury Crewe line so is it supposed to be LNWR colours?

As far as I can recall from my last visit to the SVR the 'box at Arley is an LNWR structure - it certainly looks like one (but could be a contractor's design perhaps?). It is however in the original signal box position as near as I can tell from pics and drawings.

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can recall from my last visit to the SVR the 'box at Arley is an LNWR structure - it certainly looks like one (but could be a contractor's design perhaps?). It is however in the original signal box position as near as I can tell from pics and drawings.

Yes the box at Arley is an ex LNW structure (I cant remember where from right now) The colour is probably more to do with how it fades than anything else.

Lovley model of Arley -

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

5164 re-entered traffic yesterday following a sucessful test after its wheel turrning. Now attention is turning to 1501 which was lit up yesterday. Testing of this excellent if hot machine is about to commence, hopefully it will be quick and we will have another loco into traffic looking very good lined out with early BR crest.

Edited by Blandford1969
  • Like 1

Ordered my ticket for the SVR Autumn Steam Gala on Monday evening; Ticket arrived today ! Excellent service from a well-run organisation. Being too young to have experienced the steam railway, Galas like the SVR's are the closest I will ever get to the atmosphere of those days, and I thank those involved in the SVR and other preserved railways for their achievements.

Edited by caradoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1501 has had 2 loaded test runs this week and will be having 2 furhter next Monday and Tuesday.

From next Wednesday the 12th to Friday the 14 of September she will be hauling her first passenger trains. These being the 10.25am and 2pm departures from Bridgnorth.

The Coal Tank should be arriving in the next few days, being booked to work a special at the end of next week.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

To explain to those who are not aware or have not been, Bridgnorth has for various reasons not had the level of investment the railway would have liked (certainly those of us based here at Bridgnorth)

The buffet was temporary 30 years ago and is not best placed

The public have not been able to access the yard and see engines under restoration certainly for about 20 years (but my memory fails me on the exact date)

The bar itself is fine for quite times, however on busy days it struggles

The toliets are not sufficent for busy days to allow for them being closed for cleaning (we need more)

The one footbridge is not sufficent on busy days

Platform 2 being shorter does create difficulties at times

Over the last 12 months a small group has been working up plans and working with Howels Associates. The challenges that team have faced is Bridgnorth station building is grade 2 listed, and Pan Pudding hill is a scheduled ancient monument and English Heritage will take a strong interest in anything we do.

Following lots of work a set of provisonal plans have been drawn up and the group are now ready to show them to a wider audience. There is a session planned for volunteers on the first weekend in October for us to see the plans. The following weekend the plans will be on show during the launch of the new three million pound share issue.

What I do know is the plans include:

1) A new building to include buffet and shop- this allows an extension to the bar and the waiting room being returned to just that.

2) A new footbridge which will link to platform 2, and go through the shed so visitors can see the yard and engines being restored - linking to the overflow car park

3) A new building for mess rooms/ offices and pattern shop - this allows us to make more room in the shed for restoration work

4) A new interactive museum about the railway

I have seen conjecture that some images used to promote the share issue might be the plans, however I have not seen the plans yet so cannot comment further. I hope this helps on the plans front.

On the loco front

1501 is now released to traffic ( which we are pleased about)

The coal tank has arrived for the gala and is working a special today ( sadly I had to give my turn away being on a three line whip to go to my father in laws 65th birthday)

31806 has arrived and was yesterday seen being moved to Bewdley - it is being based at Bridgnorth for the gala

I am not sure if 30120 has arrived yet.

Duncan

• Like 2

It's the Autumn Gala weekend! Locos in operation will include: 1501, 2857, 3650, 4566, 5164, 7799, 7812, 30120, 31806, 42968, 43106, 34053

I'll be at our lodge at Bank Farm near Arley.

Are any other RMWebber's planning to go and soak up 24 hour steam?!? If so - have a great weekend!

• RMweb Premium

I should have been on the Coal tank on Sunday, but sadly a three line whip has been put out for us to attend my father in laws 65th. The T9 and U pairing should be really good. 1501 is back in having had its smokebox repainted this week following scorching last week due to the door not quite fitting.

Enjoy the weekend, looking at the timetable it looks good.

Had an enjoyable day out. Took some snaps in the mist and rain.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16582147@N07/sets/72157631593755769/

Good morning all, spent a couple of hjours at Kidder on way home after visiting parents yesterday. Looked like an excellent turnout helped by the great weather. My better half cannot understand why anyone would want to stay out all night travelling by train and my explanation that such an event is 'unique' didn't cut any ice!

Andy

post-3043-0-93373600-1348382121_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-24436400-1348382171_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-17954800-1348382276_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I liked the shot of the feight, one the large GWR freight tanks would look good with the freight.

The Bachmann cabinet at the station had some interesting items 3 Directors, Midland Rwy 4F, some Compounds and a set of Nanking Blue carriges with two diesel units.

Edited by mow

Had an excellent day out yesterday. Nice to get some fresh air after 3 weeks of severe illness :).

A handful of images.....

post-6712-0-32625700-1348401465_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-14351300-1348401492_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-95002700-1348401549_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-80092500-1348401575_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-30431700-1348401613_thumb.jpg

Highlights were finally catching both the T9 and Coal Tank on camera after 26 years of waiting. :)

One or two locations were absolutely heaving; never seen them so busy!

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the 56, 50026 and a 31 go past the back of the house on their way to the diesel gala this evening.

Only ever seen a single 56 working and that was a few years back when fast line were still using theirs.

Sounded very nice though!

Alistair