Czech Railways

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Yep that could gave been one of the units seen at Olbramovice. The other was in the Red and cream. This may have been a trailer.

We were going to take a run on the branch but time was too tight. This is quite a nice terminus.

Rob

Yes, Masarykovo is a very atmospheric little station and I hope it doesn't get developed or modernised.  During the communist era it was called "Stred", and there used to be a depot on the right-hand side as you left the station - some E499.0 (140) "portholes" were allocated there in the mid-'seventies (along with E499.1/141 and T458.0/721, the latter working as station pilots)..

In those days CSD used to have a shop just down the road (Hybernska) from the station, selling books and photographs. 

• RMweb Gold

It's good that the roof over the concourse has been repaired. One would hope that at least this area will be kept in any new development.

The depot outside the station is still there and is meant to be one a museum. Last year there were some old rolling stock in there that wasn't there before so fingers crossed that the museum will come to fruition.

Hello everyone, good thread this. I spent a few days in South Moravia last year (on a Bridge playing holiday) and on my one free day I took a bus from the village I was staying in to Breclav, and from there caught a train to Vienna. I didn't have spare time in Breclav to explore or take photos but I did note that there was interesting infrastructure and trains to look at (there were a couple of ancient diesels and a railcar parked up).

I'm hoping to return later this year and I should have more free time, so I'd like to explore a bit more. I've already decided that I can do day trips to Brno and Bratislava from my base but I'm otherwise unfamiliar with the local railways so are there any other good lines in the area?  I can't get to Breclav station before 10.00am so I'm a bit limited as to how far I can travel (Prague is too far for a day trip).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards

Graham

Depends on your interests, Graham, but there is a railway museum next to Bratislava main station and some active/stored steam locos at Bratislava Vychod (= East)  depot.  Breclav itself has interesting workings on 25kV lines and is well worth spending some time there.  Marchegg, just over the border in Austria, is a good place for diesel workings and the Strasshof railway museum also within reach.

Breclav is quite close (Brno even nearer) to the site of the battlefield of Austerlitz.

Yes, and weak no trumps, Stayman, Blackwood and keep the Stripe-tailedf Ape in your back pocket.

Edited by EddieB

Is there a decent website that contains good prototype information and photos of Czech railroads?

I'd like to gather more information before I commit myself to anything. What about eras other than current?

Just a thought...

Best, Pete.

Don't forget the rather impressive steam locos, especially the immediate postwar 464,475,477 and the 498 class - the early series are a particularly impressive beast, as you can see from my header! (this was taken on the cd plandampf at luzna nad rakovica, I think I can still hear this departure.....). The museum there is well worth a visit.

Sadly I've only had time to build a 477 to date, but the others are very much on the 'someday' list....

Regards

Richard,

• RMweb Gold

Is there a decent website that contains good prototype information and photos of Czech railroads?

I'd like to gather more information before I commit myself to anything. What about eras other than current?

Just a thought...

Best, Pete.

http://www.prototypy.cz/?ukaz=popisy

Very good photo archive.

Enjoy, Pete.

Rob

It's worth remembering that many main lines in the Czech Republic are single line, so restricting yourself to a "branch" line is not really necessary... As most stations are just a series of loops (the bigger the station, the more the loops!) even a three loop station could be a main line... I model narrow gauge, but the main station of the JHMD at Jindrichova Hradce is alongside the mainline from Ceske Budejovice to Brno yet is single line... 

http://pojezdy.eu/eshop/ - who does not only ready to run but various kit items and detail parts. I have my first order on the way to me and he speaks good English.

He is very good, I've bough things from him several times, last time direct using his website, he's also on a Czech forum I'm on. Buying from websites rather than from the shop can be a bit hit and miss, I've bought from four shops for my new TTe layout and have no problems but one particular shop I just cannot get the stuff from. Currently I'm trying to get some Czech friends to get the stuff from him! There's a small model shop in Ceske Budejovice which is not far from Tabor, just down from the station. I'm surprised no one mentioned the other model shop in Prague, behind the main station on Manesova which has a good selection of new and secondhand, the name eludes me at the moment!

It's worth remembering that many main lines in the Czech Republic are single line, so restricting yourself to a "branch" line is not really necessary... As most stations are just a series of loops (the bigger the station, the more the loops!) even a three loop station could be a main line... I model narrow gauge, but the main station of the JHMD at Jindrichova Hradce is alongside the mainline from Ceske Budejovice to Brno yet is single line... 

Looks like an interesting place, probably too far away for me though. Shame - but thanks anyway.

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Looks like an interesting place, probably too far away for me though. Shame - but thanks anyway.

Graham

We have done htis narrow gauge in a day trip from Prague. You wont be able to do both lines the same day and it was na early start.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

He is very good, I've bough things from him several times, last time direct using his website, he's also on a Czech forum I'm on. Buying from websites rather than from the shop can be a bit hit and miss, I've bought from four shops for my new TTe layout and have no problems but one particular shop I just cannot get the stuff from. Currently I'm trying to get some Czech friends to get the stuff from him! There's a small model shop in Ceske Budejovice which is not far from Tabor, just down from the station. I'm surprised no one mentioned the other model shop in Prague, behind the main station on Manesova which has a good selection of new and secondhand, the name eludes me at the moment!

The shop in Ceske Budejovice is ZZ models. 5 minutes walk from the front of the station. Down an alley and into what appears to be someone's front door, up the stairs and at the end of a corridor.

Can't find the address off hand.

Re Prague, do you mean Prago models?

Bookstall at Masarykovo and shop a couple of streets away?

A lot of this info is contained in other threads.

Look here......

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53391-smrzovka-czech-tt-scale/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70190-dobr%C3%AD%C5%A1-in-ho-pronounced-dobzhreesh/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61209-continental-ho/

Rob

I think the "other" Prague shop you are referring to is U Krale Zelenici which is one of the side streets running up the hill above Hlvani station. haven't been there for several years but they stocked mostly HO with some exquisite and v expensive hand crafted stuff

Sure that Roundhouse / Ian has mentioned it but you also have Ben Zerba nr Smichov station

Dan

• RMweb Gold

Its this shop up the hill from the main station

http://www.ukralezeleznic.cz/

It had a good stock of HO the last tiem we were in there but its a few years ago. They spoke very little English and didn't take credit cards/ However there is a cash machine on the parallel main road.

If I recall correctly the main road on tram route 12.

EDIT

Dan - yes Ben Zerba near Smichov is another very good shop where they speak English well take credit cards and I have also used for online purchases

Edited by roundhouse

Yes that's the one, last time I was in he also took credit cards as well. He does more than just HO, and has a fair selection of secondhand. Also worth a visit, though an hour on a local train is ESPecky: 5.května 245, 289 11 Pečky

He's still there and produces most of those small "detail" bits you see at some of the other shops. The shop is well worth a visit, though be aware that he doesn't speak any English (or wants to!) but does speak German...

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few shots taken a few days ago at Plzen station.

The station is being rebuilt so there will no doubt be some big changes but would guess that he main building will stay

post-1557-0-02965200-1398144261_thumb.jpg

A googles

post-1557-0-77182000-1398144085_thumb.jpg

The older CD livery is now disappearing fast. I need to find a way to recreate these filthy roofs in model form

post-1557-0-13447400-1398144105_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos Ian. We have friends in Plzen.

I know what you mean about the roofs. Maybe some of the modelling powders would give the desired effect?

I am going back over in early July. Driving over this time. Should be able to visit more shops......more room to carry stuff........oh dear.....

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob

As we travel very light (we only take carry on bags on bucket shop airlines) we are limited to what we can carry so it has one advantage of keeping expenditure in the shops down!

A few shots from the other day at the border station at Zelezna Ruda.most Czech trains from here are loco hauled by Goggles. The border with Germany runs right through the middle of the platforms and building. In Iron curtain days the tracks we're severed and there was a high steel fence right across the middle of the station.

post-1557-0-32690500-1398148594_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-69245200-1398148605_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2