Czech Railways

NHY 581

I'm with CloggyDog in that I'd pick TT over H0 for modelling Czech Railways. There's a lot of "space" around stations over there, especially in the countryside, and TT allows you to model that in a reasonable space. Previous issues of CM have had my Czech layouts in TTe which illustrate that point.

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2014 at 06:26, roundhouse said:

having enjoyed a good pizza (and a few beers) there back in 2017, disappointed to see it's turned into a steak house (with very little for us vegetarians), so we didn't bother last week :(

Looks like the beers are still delivered by train, so the more carniverous of you may  still enjoy!

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

having enjoyed a good pizza (and a few beers) there back in 2017, disappointed to see it's turned into a steak house (with very little for us vegetarians), so we didn't bother last week :(

Looks like the beers are still delivered by train, so the more carniverous of you may  still enjoy!

Yes the trains still deliver drinks. A friend was in there over the weekend.

• 11 months later...

Trainspotting in the Czech Republic;

I've made several trips in the past, mainly around the Breclav/Brno/Ostrava region and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'd like to go back this year but would prefer new territory. Breclav is great - lots of trains with a good mix of traction and stock - are there any other similar rail locations that could keep me amused for a couple of days?

Thanks

Graham

Experienced Prague and the Czech Republic for the first time last week.

Using the Prague XXL ticket that covers the city plus zones 1-4 I was able to get quite a variety of haulage in.   

An interesting trip, was an 850 DMU to Vsetaty.  A wait there for a 750.7 diesel back to Neratovice.  809 railbus to Kralupy and then returning on a 371 electric back to the middle.

As well as other moves in and out of hl.n. station, lots of loco hauled options are around so got in class 150, 162 and 362.

The ticket cost around £5 for 24 hours!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been through Ceske Budejovice on a train when on hols with SHMBO - not a trainspotting trip! We also did the trip to Bechyne. I was thinking more of a busy junction location, though maybe I should consider exploring the Prague area. (I have been on Prague main station for a few minutes and my impression was that it was passenger only, so I assume I'd need to get out and about to the freight lines).

Graham     

I would imagine České Budějovice would be a good one as there is international traffic particularly to/from Linz (especially freight), or Plzeň with international traffic to/from Germany, with potential from both to travel to nearby satellite stations where lines split.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course, the beauty of popping to České Budějovice is that you may like to pop to the Budweiser Budvar brewery and take in a tour of the 'facilities'...........

Rob

• Agree 2

The same goes for Plzeň though as they have the Pilsner Urquell brewery, also open to tours and 'sampling'. You'll probably find you're never far from a brewery in any major Czech city or town  😉

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully popping over for a few weeks in August to catch up with family. A visit to the Bernard brewery is planned as are a few purchases to expand the CSD stable. Top of the list is a MTB 820.......or two. 

Rob 

• Like 2

Does České Budějovice have any decent model shops? Tempted to do a day trip the next time I visit my Mum in Austria as its a 1 hour 20 min drive, or half an hours drive to Gmünd and an hour on the train from there (and only €6.20 each way). Last time I visited I didn't have the time for any border crossing, and the time before that the border was closed because of covid.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stefan88 said:

Does České Budějovice have any decent model shops? Tempted to do a day trip the next time I visit my Mum in Austria as its a 1 hour 20 min drive, or half an hours drive to Gmünd and an hour on the train from there (and only €6.20 each way). Last time I visited I didn't have the time for any border crossing, and the time before that the border was closed because of covid.

I did find one. About a ten minute walk from the station, passing the former headquarters of the Gestapo during the war according to the plaque on the wall of the building. The shop building  was entered at street level through a very non descript single door before you climbed some stairs to a long corridor at the end of which was a sign alongside a plain door which you opened to reveal a model shop. Small but quite a bit of stock within. Very nice lady within who spoke a little English. Fortunately, the Memsahib was with me so no issue with comms. 

And I can't remember the name..........and no, I hadn't been to the brewery first. 

So not a particularly helpful update from me I'm afraid other than to suggest there was one approx ten years ago. 

Rob. 

Rob, how long ago was that re the model shop? We went in around 2019 and there was only one, and it had little, if any, railways. There used to be one down a little alley which was really good but that had shut up shop a few years before the 2019 visit. TBH model railway shops are becoming fewer and fewer, as opposed to model shops which tend to concentrate on the East European fixation with anything military.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Hobby said:

Rob, how long ago was that re the model shop? We went in around 2019 and there was only one, and it had little, if any, railways. There used to be one down a little alley which was really good but that had shut up shop a few years before the 2019 visit. TBH model railway shops are becoming fewer and fewer, as opposed to model shops which tend to concentrate on the East European fixation with anything military.

Hi H, 

I reckon 2011 and yes, it was down an alley/corridor and right at the end, on the left. 

I'll probably order from AMB and get things delivered to the in laws. If I take s controller and circle of track, I could even play trains when I get there !

Rob