Sugar Cube Speakers

D6775

Hi, I am in the process of fitting sound to two Heljan Air Braked 26's. I have managed to squeeze two sugar cube speakers into the fuel tank of these.

Now i have come across a problem. One 26 is absolutely fine, the other one seems to crackle. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Al,

Did exactly the same as you, 2 speakers in the fuel/boiler tank first loco was great, second had the crackle. Got in touch with DCC Supplies after they sent me out the wrong speaker and notified them of the crackly speaker and they sent me out a replacement one at no charge. Incidentally, whilst I agree that it could be the solder joints when I replaced it with another Sugar cube speaker there was no crackle.

Get in touch with DCC Supplies, they will be only happy to help.

Simon.

Almost certainly the seal is not perfect.

Is it one with a sticky gasket or did you glue it yourself?

The sticky gaskets are not terribly reliable and it is often worth strengthening the seal with some superglue... Hold the speaker enclosure-down and run the glue along the joint.

Obviously don't let glue run into the speaker itself or you'll wreck it.

Sugar cubes are superb but by nature they are not as robust as other types of speaker because of the thin foil they employ so you will get more failures than the material and even paper cone varieties.

J

• 1 month later...

Anown problem with these speakers is that the seal between the speaker proper and the sound box is frequently not perfect. Seal around the joint with some tape. That usually cures the rackling problem. Also these speakers are polarity sensitive. Wired in paralel, make sure they share the same polarity.

The seal issue is why the new YouChoos range of speakers are pre-attached with glue, not a gasket!

SugarCurve9 is basically a SugarCube 9mm height, but with a curved top enclosure (useful for some N gauge diesels for example).  I may do a lower-profile version too if there is a demand, and possibly a low-profile rectangular one, same as the SugarCube but perhaps 5 or 6mm height - useful for N gauge - contact me if that seems interesting.

Brick8, Brick11 and Brick13 are new cube speakers with a footprint of 18x13mm and 8mm, 11mm or 13mm heights respectively... it is bigger, so more volume and more bass.

All are 8ohm with max 1W, same as the existing SugarCubes.

Jan15SpeakerRangeF-500W.jpg

http://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.asp?L1=Speakers

Sorry, I know this is a bit 'markety', but seemed relevant to the thread!

Hello John,

As an N gauge modeller trying to convert my fleet to DCC sound  (with a lot of trials and tribulations on the way!) this range of sugar cubes sounds extremely useful.

Could they be supplied with wires pre-soldered? Its a very awkward task doing this - if say a 50mm length of decoder wire was pre-soldered it would save time and reduce risk of de-coder failure. All the user would have to do is solder this to the existing decoder speaker connections with use of shrink wrap to protect the join.

Personally, I think a 5mm thick sugar cube would be the most useful size for 9mm modellers. I don't think that your thread is marketing at all, considering the amount  of help that you have made available to modellers. This new range looks like a great innovation - particularly for modellers in smaller scales.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I've always pre soldered wires by default when supplying cube speakers with decoders, so that's no problem at all.

I'm also happy to supply the speaker and enclosure unattached if you want to do further modifications before glueing... Just write a note to that effect when ordering.

Cheers, John

Thanks Paul.

I've always pre soldered wires by default when supplying cube speakers with decoders, so that's no problem at all.

I'm also happy to supply the speaker and enclosure unattached if you want to do further modifications before glueing... Just write a note to that effect when ordering.

Cheers, John

Hello John

I will be in touch at some time (not in the near future as its a few weeks from pay day!) and order some sugar cubes. I will do some measuring up in the meantime, I think a 5mm thick speaker would be about right for a lot of n gauge applications.Might be worth waiting to see what others think as to whether its worth offering this size of speaker?

Thanks again

Paul

Archived