The Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House - an elegant building

• RMweb Gold

My train to Birmingham stopped outside New Street today, and I found myself looking down on the Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House

I thought this was a rather elegant building, so took a few snaps while the train was stationary, and thought what a super model it might make:

post-57-033732900 1291237071_thumb.jpg

post-57-022011900 1291237087_thumb.jpg

post-57-099342900 1291237097_thumb.jpg

I commuted past the proof house for about 3 years (1959/62), never on a train that stopped! Not that I carried a camera if it had! :( Never really got as good a look into the yard as your shots show. Yes it really is an elegant building!

That's a fine late Georgian main building, presumably dating from the establishment of the Proof House in 1813 or soon after. The dutch gabled gatehouse is clearly a later addition. It's rather attractive, though, even if it does restrict the view of the main facade. Can you make out the date over the gate on your original photo?

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Proof House Signal Box used to stand just about level with the gateway. There was a gated blue-brick path to the left of the Proof House gateway, with a wooden staircase up the bank. My Grandfather was Signal Linesman there for 20 years, and I used to visit on Saturday mornings. An absolutely hectic place in the late 50's and early 60's, averaging a train every one or two minutes at that time. The Signalmen used to tell me that on early and late turns on a summer Saturday you always had at least one train in section and sometimes all four lines to New St would have moving trains on them. Because of the number of different destinations and routes possible when leaving New Street the box was provided with clock-type Train Describers, as it would have been nigh impossible to do it all with special bell codes.

Birmingham Proof House is a superb building, I went on a tour of it a couple of years ago with my colleagues from Derby and Toton, it realy is an interesting place.

They do do organised tours, and its fasinating learning how they Proof test the barrels, and how bad some barrels are, especially those from the far east!

If you ever get the chance, go, its realy is worth it......then go for a 10 minute walk to the Anchor in Digbeth, for some rather excellent beer, in a loveley old Victorian red brick pub!

Cheers

R

Guest jim s-w

Hi Tim

Bham proof house is A I plan to go to about B on the layout. New Street is on the left so the proofing house will be at the front of the layout.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Banbury+St,+Birmingham,+West+Midlands+B5+5RH+(Birmingham+Gun+Barrel+Proof+House)&daddr=Lawley+Middleway%2FA4540&hl=en&geocode=FU7KIAMdSD3j_yEYyWAIunbtng%3BFZnNIAMdflnj_w&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=18&sll=52.481261,-1.87782&sspn=0.001885,0.004597&ie=UTF8&ll=52.481264,-1.881495&spn=0.00754,0.018389&t=h&z=16

I will be going to measure up if they let me!

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Yep

Curzon st station building, the big postal building, the cement works an the junction including the dive under. It's about 30ft of viaduct!

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Pity the time frame is a bit late, you could haver included my Grandad's cabin at Curzon St. It was just opposite the box between the Up Stour and Vauxhall lines viaduct. Think I have a picture of it and the box, I worked on the signalling for the Parcels Shed in 1966. Spent many happy hours in that area as a young S&T trainee.

Archived