In case it hasn't been spotted, On30 Hong Kong Tramcars

shortliner

Samples were in the Bachmann display case at York.

I had the chance to handle one and have to say they are light years ahead of the old 'Peak Horse' model, complete with much more interior and exterior detailing. One thing that did surprise me is that only one axle is powered (rear in 'normal' running direction) though that will probably be sufficient for a single lightweight vehicle on all but the steepest gradients.

I'm told they should be with your preferred dealer late May/early June...

Paul

I've seen them described elsewhere (latest issue of Tramfare) as 00 not H0. Can someone who has one or who knows definitely, tell us what scale they really are?

Bachmann themselves list it as 1:76 scale, 00/H0 track. ..so it's OO scale, but take such figures as very nominal indeed from all makers. They may market them in the States, and to put 00, or 4mm to the foot, on them would kill sales, whilst 1:76 is an accepted modelling scale for die-cast goods!!,same thing, different descriptions.

They are definitely not HO scale, 1:87, presumably this would leave them small, if accurate to the scale, and different from other tram offerings in die-cast.

The real trams run on 3'6" track, so using 16.5 mm 00 track is wrong anyway, they should in 4mm run on 14mm track, it is available for narrow guage, but this is more for enthusiasts than the general Bachmann marketplace customer.

Remember, Bachmann (Kader) are toy makers, not scale modellers, who happen to make both scale models and the toy output, and adjust things for the maximum sales, the widest sales market etc. Bachmann UK are a bit different, the UK market demands a scale model approach, and Kader cater for this market with the OO range offered, which the Hong Kong Trams are not part of.

Stephen.

These models are some of the most amazing off-the-shelf trams I've ever seen, and they are most assuredly OO scale.

In the wee hours of Sunday morning I stumbled across this updated thread, went searching on eBay and found a few available from a seller in Hong Kong. I promptly forked over US $112 ($99 plus shipping), wrote a blog post at http://bit.ly/l0OxEi and settled in to what I expected was a two-week wait. Imagine my surprise and delight when the tram arrived on my desk in the Eastern U.S. on Tuesday afternoon -- just over two days later. Below is a shot of the new Bachmann car with some older, non-motorised Peak Horse specimens.

hk1.jpg

I have many modelling interests, with British trams at the moment chief among them. Though a bit far afield, the family resemblance of these cars to classic British designs is irresistable (and of course there are the Birkenhead specimens as a prototype in Britain), and so I had to have one. Extremely impressed. To highlight a few points:

-- Exterior body detail is extremely fine in its own right, and especially compared with Peak Horse predecessors. Highly realistic moulding, down to rivets.

-- Interior detail generally pleasing. Lower deck a little less polished due to motor but there are longitudinal seats. Nice detail in motorman's cabins.

-- Top deck detail impressive. Realistic seats, silver stanchions and even simulated roof slats.

-- Directions say body can be opened; not sure how easy it would be to access top deck to add figures, but perhaps not impossible (haven't tried).

-- Model comes with an array of extra destination sign plates, which can be changed. I also haven't tried this yet.

-- Working headlights.

-- Trolley pole is apparently a dummy, but attractive enough for those who don't operate with live overhead.

-- Mix of open and closed windows. Apparently fixed in place, but nice effect.

-- Mine is the plain green livery, but lettering sharp and pictures of other liveries appear crisp.

hk2.jpg

There are a few points some may not like:

-- Marker lights are merely painted blobs.

-- Two-axle car has only one powered axle. Car is light, but shouldn't be a problem on flat layouts.

-- Despite above, car came out of the box a very fast runner (but quite smooth).

-- As noted, I havent experimented with taking the car apart, but it does seem a tiny bit fragile.

-- Car does not seem to be DCC equipped. I have no experience with DCC and can't speak to how easy it might be to address this.

All-in-all a worthwhile model. We are starting to see U.S. prototypes of this caliber in the form of Bachmann's Peter Witt and Birney models and Bowser's postwar PCCs. I gather Bachmann considered a generic ready-to-run British standard car several years ago but dropped the project for apparent lack of interest. Given the advances in model design in recent years, it's exciting to think of what they could do if they embarked on a UK car(s) today.

Thrilled with the model, and recommended to all.

Roger DuPuis

hk3.jpg

These models are some of the most amazing off-the-shelf trams I've ever seen, and they are most assuredly OO scale.

Below is a shot of the new Bachmann car with some older, non-motorised Peak Horse specimens.

Trolley pole is apparently a dummy, but attractive enough for those who don't operate with live overhead.

Car does not seem to be DCC equipped. I have no experience with DCC and can't speak to how easy it might be to address this.

Thanks Roger,

Was intending to do the comparison with the old Peak Horse version as soon as I could get my hands on one for keeps (rather than just mauling Bachmann's samples!)

Apparently non-DCC Ready was specified by the Hong-Kong arm of Bachmann so that's what the rest of the world gets, but a hard wired decoder will not be too difficult.

The trolley pole is similar to those fitted to the PCC and Birney but minus the wiring and switch for live overhead operation. Again those likely to want to follow this option are likely to be able to figure out what is needed...

I gather Bachmann considered a generic ready-to-run British standard car several years ago but dropped the project for apparent lack of interest. Given the advances in model design in recent years, it's exciting to think of what they could do if they embarked on a UK car(s) today.

It was mostly the production quality issues and consequent slow sales of the motorised version of the Peak Horse HK Tram that killed off the UK 'Preston Type' car. (I covered the background to that in the Planned Items thread). From talking to a couple of people in the know, don't write off the possibility of a R-T-R UK Tram in the not-too-distant future, either from Bachmann if these sell well or from another manufacturer with links to a diecast manufacturer with a tram in their range.;)

Paul

Paul,

I really enjoyed your response, thanks. Here is a another view of the Bachmann car alongside my Peak Horse models. Good view of roof details. UK modelers should be familiar with most of the items in this picture, from the church to those elephants lurking in the background:

photo7.jpg

Also, Paul, I was thrilled to hear that RTR British cars may be in the offing. I have a few custom-motorised diecast cars ordered from a Cheshire seller on ebay -- namely a Blackpool balloon, Sunderland Feltham and a Leeds Horsfield. Would be outstanding to have an RTR version of the Balloon cars. In the meanwhile, below is a pic of my Balloon looking very much like a fish out of water last year during a rare visit to a U.S. HO railroad layout at a U.S. museum. My own layout, when finished, will actually look like Britain!

5134165204_ee05392a97.jpg

Roger Just to let you know that Hattons are advertising them on pre-order estimated delivery May/June for £44. I expect that other Bachmann retailers will be also selling them . Got one on order Thanks Roger for the pics and information regards GWR Man

• 4 weeks later...
Exactly what scale are they?

Bachmann say HO. Isn't that 1:87? http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/

Keith

Mine arrived yesterday and is most definately 4mm:ft

The model is of a 1980/90s rebodied 1950 "type 4/generation 4" car.

Prototype Length over body is 29'0" = 116 mm in 4mm scale: Model = 116mm

Prototype Width is 6'8" = 26.67 mm : Model = 26.4mm

Prototype height to Cantrail is quoted be different sources as either 14'10" or 15' = 59.3 or 60mm: Model = 59.8mm

But... gauge should be 3'6" (14mm) but is of cause 16.5mm...

More later when i've figured out how to take it apart!

I am also waiting delivery of the new HK tram. I have a few motorised Peak Horse trams and having just started to sell my collecton of Corgi Blackpool trams I hope to build a small layout using the new Bachmann one.

I am interested to see what sort of mech they are using.

Johna

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived yesterday and is most definately 4mm:ft

Thanks for that.

Maybe then Bachmann should put them in the "Branchline" catalogue rather than their Chinese HO range, even though they are of a item in use in Hong Kong/China (but originally made in Britain)!

Keith

Archived