It's been one of those modeling sessions hours days weekends. Let's start with the good news.
Okay, that's over, let's continue with what else has been happening. The side frames were given a coat of etch primer on the external faces. That went reasonably well with the exception of a couple of small blemishes in the covering on both side frames. I micro meshed those this morning and gave another coat of etch primer, then I caught a small sink mark where I had not filled with enough solder. That was filled with some filler I had handy, then sanded back. The side frames have now been given their last coat of etch primer and are sitting curing as I type. I will leave those at least overnight before giving them a coat of primer type primer.
Actually, I'm off on business again this week so it may be next weekend before they get the primer coat.
All that being done, I am pretty happy with the side frames. I also took the opportunity while I was rattle canning to spray some of the styrene side frame failures as test beds for the different paints. I will coat these test pieces before I spray the side frames to ensure there is no reaction with the paints.
Now the vestibule ends.... those damn vestibule ends. Aaarghhhh! I don't know what it is about them but they seem determined to fight me all the way, and back again! After my last post, I marked up the ends for the material to be removed - it was about 2.5 mm give or take from each upright. I had allowed 19 mm for the door opening when I should have allowed 21.5 mm. The door itself is 19 mm but there's also a door jamb in there too.
This is how much needs to come off. A simple enough job... place sandpaper on the bench then rub end vestibule back and forth to remove unwanted plastic.
Which all went far too well until I came to remove the masking tape - a whole bunch or primer and wotnot came off with it too. Well, that's not particularly good or confidence inspiring is it? Especially when I know I'll be masking that lot later.
So after considering the options, I took the decision to sand everything back to plastic again
On the face of it that also went well, until I realized that some of the wet from my wet and dry had got in behind the plastic and soaked into the wooden paneling - yes, you guessed it... another disaster.
At this point I almost considered asking my friends back at the machine shop to EDM me a set of vestibule ends, but sanity prevailed - in brass there would be six bends in each piece, and I know I'd need about a dozen attempts to try and get all the bends in the right place. I'm sticking with what I have, and the de'il tak the hindmost !
Obviously, I know that water and thin sheets of absorbent wood don't go particularly well together.... I know that! So why I didn't try to protect the paneling better is a question best left to ehrr... someone else, not me.
After messing about with it and trying to fix things it was obvious I had to go back to square one. Well, not quite square one but almost...
The main issue I had was that I had used rectangles of basswood as a spacer/strengthener between the outer wall and the paneling. Now, because of the grain, it was good in one direction but not the other. I needed a different material - 1 mm thick styrene.
The plastic could be rescued as could the main door beams so I cut out styrene spacers and glued them in position, as well as adding some other little blocks here and there to add strength.
The problem I face here - and I knew this one was coming is that we all know what happens when we glue two flat surfaces together with styrene cement... one of them ends up with sink marks. At least this time I was prepared for that. You can see one just at the angle near the left top of the gangway opening. Overall, not too many sinks at all - much better then I anticipated.
So that's where I'm currently at with this purgatorial build. I'll let that glue cure overnight before filling and sanding (yet again).
I'm surprised there's any plastic left on those vestibule ends after all the sanding they've endured.
I tackled a couple of small jobs, but gave up as my heart wasn't in it today. I'm really focused on getting the side frames and vestibule ends painted and since they've been my nemesis for what seems like at least the last year, I need to get those defeated before I can move on. I'm so close, but it appears that every time I get close, something falls out of the sky to give my butt a great big kick and bring me back down to earth again.