St Phillips Marsh Depot (Bristol) Open Day - BH Monday 2 May 2016

Turbo_Tim

Well I had to work so missed out but many thanks for the photos :)

Great line up and re painting 001 plus naming it particularly good. I wonder if they've managed some publicity shots with all of them together after closing?

<Pedant> 002, there wasn't a 43001. </Pedant> ;)

Uploaded my images last night, I did drop in at the Bristol Harbour railway on the way, must go back for a ride on that Turbot some day.

Sorry you'll have to wade through detail pics... ;)

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Daybyday/2016/2016-05-02-St-Philips-Marsh/

41001_43002_StPhilipsMarsh_OpenDay_02052

• RMweb Gold

Driver: Mr Brunel, have you had any further thoughts about the Gauge Wars?

Brunel: I think you'll find 28.0833 mm is tolerably accurate

I heard that there was a "Brunel" wandering round chatting to people - any photos? preferably in front of a power car! 

Yes, there was a chap playing the role. I saw him chatting with a lad in a wheelchair which sums up the whole day for me - caring, approachable and laid back. All credit to FGW and their events team. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Things like a contrasting door colour come to mind.

Sorry to be cynical, but what has happened to the population in the last 40 years that has made them unable to recognise a door unless it is painted a different colour?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to be cynical, but what has happened to the population in the last 40 years that has made them unable to recognise a door unless it is painted a different colour?

It's about visibility for partially sight impaired people. The reason it's happened recently is simply that we as a society are more aware of minority disability needs these days, whereas in BR's day it wasn't something anyone seemed to care about. It's the same with having the special tiles on platform edges, and also on road pavements where there's a crossing place, and a whole load of other things to help people with disabilities.

What has happened to the population as a whole is that they have become much more tolerant of people with disabilities. My disabled grandfather would have found life much easier these days than he did in the 1970s.

Geoff Endacott

I went with my 3 year old, railway mad son and we had a great time and would echo the positive comments so far (and some of the ones about the photographers although I could see both sides of that one, and tried to be as considerate as possible with a three year old in tow!).

It was the first time I've been to a depot opening and really enjoyed it - my only slight disappointment was that more of the locos and carriages weren't accessible - I was expecting to be able to visit the cabs of many more locos and my little 'un would have really enjoyed it. There was such a long wait for the ones that were 'open' that the only one we did have a look in was the Class 50, after waiting for half an hour in the pouring rain but my son was determined to stick it out and wait to at least go in one!

I won't repeat the photos posted so far, but here are some others I took:

The queue first thing was quite staggering! We arrived early expecting it to be fairly quiet (we hadn't bought tickets in advance) so were a bit shocked when we walked round from the car park to see this as far as the eye could see (and we were in the middle!)

post-27854-0-58299300-1462454713_thumb.jpg

All credit to the organisers for getting people in quickly and efficiently once the gates opened!

My son spotted this hiding down the other end of the yard and was disappointed he couldn't go down and see it, even though the other six were right behind him!

post-27854-0-57510700-1462454716_thumb.jpg

There were a lot of people but the crowds did disperse around the site quite quickly:

post-27854-0-30194600-1462454719_thumb.jpg

What struck me was how much bigger the locos appear when you are down at track level with them - looks like someone's got their scales mixed up in this photo!

post-27854-0-40674300-1462454722_thumb.jpg

Couple of shots inside the main shed:

post-27854-0-57334800-1462454725_thumb.jpg

post-27854-0-62250500-1462454728_thumb.jpg

It was interesting to see the difference in wear rates on these brake pads - some of them had plenty of life left and others were worn down to a few mil.

post-27854-0-78499200-1462454731_thumb.jpg

Old skool:

post-27854-0-01044800-1462454734_thumb.jpg

And then it rained :sad_mini:

post-27854-0-62201800-1462454736_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

Archived