Heljan Class 45 EP sample

MGR Hooper!

Hi Norman,

My blue Peak arrived the same, damaged with the motor bogie hanging out when you lifted the loco - all the internal clips had snapped off - because the bolts had been overtightened, one so much I couldn't move it even with a power drill! My retailer and Heljan were very good, it went back to Heljan in Denmark and a brand new one in perfect condition was returned.

I'm told they had major problems with the 60s and recent 37s due to the foam inserts. The foam being used compresses too much when 4kg of loco is pushed against it - apparently there have been way too many damaged 37s. This idea was suppose to prevent movement, and two retailers have told me that although there have been issues, they are 80-85% lower than the number of damaged 37s. Cannot qualify if that's true or not, but two independent retailers have told me the same thing, so it looks to be more secure in transit.

Packing locos away in their boxes for us, however is a different story!

Rich

Hi

I'm still waiting for my replacement and hope it arrives undamaged.  The new method of packaging that Heljan have used is unbelievably poor so I am hoping they take extra care this time. But I'm not sure yet what I will do if the replacement arrives broken. My 60 and two 37s arrived undamaged so the packaging used then worked well for me.

Norman

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I'm still waiting for my replacement and hope it arrives undamaged.  The new method of packaging that Heljan have used is unbelievably poor so I am hoping they take extra care this time. But I'm not sure yet what I will do if the replacement arrives broken. My 60 and two 37s arrived undamaged so the packaging used then worked well for me.

Norman

Hi Norman,

I think the new packaging, for postage is in all honesty a lot better IF (and its a big IF) the securing bolts are not over or under tightened.  Personally I think the current system, with some foam as a backup at the ends would be best.  Once the loco has arrived with its owner however, I'd far rather have the old system as I cannot see many people bolting their locos to the board just for storage!  But the issue with the new style does seem to be the over tightening of bolts causing them to break away from the MDF board - rather than any problems with the principal itself.

We'll have to wait and see what the next release brings I guess.

Rich

Hi Norman,

I think the new packaging, for postage is in all honesty a lot better IF (and its a big IF) the securing bolts are not over or under tightened.  Personally I think the current system, with some foam as a backup at the ends would be best.  Once the loco has arrived with its owner however, I'd far rather have the old system as I cannot see many people bolting their locos to the board just for storage!  But the issue with the new style does seem to be the over tightening of bolts causing them to break away from the MDF board - rather than any problems with the principal itself.

We'll have to wait and see what the next release brings I guess.

Rich

Hi Rich

I have witnessed first hand how white van drivers treat parcels.  They are hard pressed to deliver their assigned parcels and do not have time to treat them with TLC.  IMHO There is no way that the packaging used by Heljan for the class 45 would survive if subject to a standard 1 metre drop test.  The lack of foam at the ends enables the loco to bounce on its two 5mm mounting screws tearing them through the flimsy MDF base.

Norman.

Hi Rich

I have witnessed first hand how white van drivers treat parcels.  They are hard pressed to deliver their assigned parcels and do not have time to treat them with TLC.  IMHO There is no way that the packaging used by Heljan for the class 45 would survive if subject to a standard 1 metre drop test.  The lack of foam at the ends enables the loco to bounce on its two 5mm mounting screws tearing them through the flimsy MDF base.

Norman.

I agree with all of this (although I was lucky as I collected my loco from the Tower stand at Doncaster and it therefore avoided the rough handling), this aside, my main gripe is when the loco is used at shows or periodically taken around to other places I cannot see many will bolt it back in...

The foam was good in the old boxes and maybe just needed a small trim to ease access, but in the new style packaging with nothing at each end of the box, damage is almost inevitable unless you add more foam like it did... For a £500+ loco this should have been better.

As was also said earlier, it can't have had any packaging testing carried out or they would have seen it...

Commercial (bulk) delivery is generally a better standard than white van man or a postal round and if they based their experience on a palleted shipment then I can see why they might have thought it was ok.

As I said I'm my original post, superb loco - really good... Very poor packaging.. In fact a friend has very kindly offered me one of his original CL40 boxes to use instead... Should fit fairly well...

Regards

Lodekka

• 1 month later...

Now got the CL40 box from a friend... Thanks Ray.

CL45 fits perfectly and is quite snug.

Will probably trim just a little of the foam at the ends to protect fine details and make removal/replacement that bit easier.

Otherwise much much better than original packaging which is now going in the loft.

I sense a small market for original Heljan packaging in these sort of cases...

Perhaps try to speak with them at Telford

Now looking forward to the 05's and the DMU's...

• 1 month later...

I have finally received my replacement loco.  It's taken along time and I have been very patient.  So Now I'm playing catchup.

In the add on bag there are:

2 x 8 top lamp bracket

4 x 11 corner lamp bracket

2 x 16 'triangular' plain body panel

6 x 20 bodyside step covers (etched)

2 x 27 roof panel (etched)

2 each 70 & 71 sandboxes

2 x 127 bodyside panel (etched)

But there's no info on where these should fit any help would be really appreciated.

Norman

• RMweb Premium

The lamp brackets are just spares. Triangular panels alternative type to those already fitted, etched covers for the steps and the two roof water fillers at the top of the steps which were generally played over later. Sandboxes on the bogie and the body panels for the small grills. You need a decent photo to see which options apply.

The lamp brackets are just spares. Triangular panels alternative type to those already fitted, etched covers for the steps and the two roof water fillers at the top of the steps which were generally played over later. Sandboxes on the bogie and the body panels for the small grills. You need a decent photo to see which options apply.

Thanks Hal

I need one of those spare brackets already - they are fragile and very vulnerable.

Just received today a book Power of the Peaks - Oxford Publishing  with a few good detail shots which will help.

Norman

You will move to O you will move to O.....

Come over to the dark side you'll love it :D

I was just about to move over; fortunately, all the weathered blue ones have sold out. Phew! :scared:

Edited by Mel_H

• 3 months later...

I bought a green Heljan 45 a couple of weeks ago as it was a bargain but it couldn't stay like that! 

As bought
24672309107_6f4c1ae92b_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Just over a week later the transformation is all but complete.
27908163229_dbbc146918_z.jpg by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

45062 looks really superb - well done - I wish I could turn them round in 'just over a week' - it seems to take me months to do up each Heljan O Guage loco. 

I bought a green Heljan 45 a couple of weeks ago as it was a bargain but it couldn't stay like that! 

As bought
24672309107_6f4c1ae92b_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Just over a week later the transformation is all but complete.
27908163229_dbbc146918_z.jpg by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

That does look like all 130 odd tons of Derby's finest, a superb looking job.

I didn’t take any pics of the modifications but it’s really easy. I just removed any raised detail around the existing headcode, applied some filler and smoothed it off and repeat until I was happy with it. The lens surrounds are from Extreme Etchings with a 1,7mm hole drilled in the centre. When I have them, class 20 lenses from the Heljan spares will be fitted. No mods required to the lighting either!

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I didn’t take any pics of the modifications but it’s really easy. I just removed any raised detail around the existing headcode, applied some filler and smoothed it off and repeat until I was happy with it. The lens surrounds are from Extreme Etchings with a 1,7mm hole drilled in the centre. When I have them, class 20 lenses from the Heljan spares will be fitted. No mods required to the lighting either!

Cheers

Shane

When you say centre, is that the centre of each of the origonal headcode box's?

I'm just wondering how you arrived at the spacing of the marker lights?

Whatever method you used, it looks bang on!!

Very nice and I m half tempted to do it myself if and when I get one.

• 2 months later...

Just googled it and it came up with red ones. Also should not have a border around the name. Who's plates are they?

I don't know Brian, Tower Models supplied and fitted them.

I just noticed yours on Flickr, Who's plates are they ?

Thanks T-T

Edited by tinsley-toton