Heljan Class 45 EP sample

MGR Hooper!

Hi Penguin

Thanks for the photos - looking at my Heljan class 25 and comparing it with your photos I think the amount of curve is spot on.

Norman

Just put a straight edge across the front of my Heljan 25 and it's not far off the photo, maybe a little more curve required but the model is definitely not flat and quite close to the pic. I'm with Norman on this one.

I must have another Heljan model then. As far as I'm concerned, the Heljan model is way off the mark.

I guess there's just no telling some folk......

I give up, I really do!

Well it might have something to do with getting my first pair of reading glasses lol! Hey I'm happy don't spoil it.

Guest Digital

Here is my 45009 on Preston O Gauge Group's layout yesterday at the head of a rake of Heljan stock, I wasn't going to buy a Peak until I saw one at the club last Monday night; somehow I found myself in Hattons on Wednesday buying a weathered blue one!

In my view it is just about Heljan's best so far and difficult to fault. The only problem I have had so far is that only one of the lamp brackets has survived its first outing so I have used the spare ones (which are not a straightforward replacement job), and reinforced the very frail bends with solder. Time will tell....if they don't stand the test of time I shall scratchbuild some new ones out of scrap etch, using thicker brass.

The inner sandboxes have been removed and the places where they came from weathered to match the rest of the bogies. Since these photos were taken, I have removed the boiler steps access steps from Number 2 end bogie. The small lower bodyside grilles have been replaced with the plated over ones that Heljan supply-a very simple job as the factory-fitted ones just push out. A driver has been fitted in each cab too. (Incidentally, the body fixing screws are easy to undo-unlike the 37!)

I like the Heljan weathering but may well add a little more of my own. It looks to me as if the worksplates are etched ones as opposed to the printed ones that might have been expected-a nice touch.

Jeff 

attachicon.gif45009 01.JPG

attachicon.gif45009 02.JPG

Looks great Jeff

Where do you get your drivers from?

John

John

Thanks for that. I usually use 'Heroes of the Footplate' figures which I get from Invertrain but 45009's come from JPL Models' scrap box! They are just up the road from me and I popped in to see what they had got. Another source would be Omen Miniatures and I'm sure there are more out there.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I have just installed sound into my Peak and must say the model is a vast improvement over other Heljan models, very DCC friendly, the wiring did not need extending and wiring colours are now common, i.e right hand pick up's are red, left hand black etc.

Decoder I have used, supplied by Paul Chetter, is the new Zimo 696 which mounts onto a sub connector board which is really usefull should I want to have the Decoder modified at any time as it simply unplugs leaving all the wiring in place.

post-1685-0-71714900-1495011082.jpg

post-1685-0-97343300-1495011104.jpg

post-1685-0-29381200-1495011128.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

John

Thanks for that. I usually use 'Heroes of the Footplate' figures which I get from Invertrain but 45009's come from JPL Models' scrap box! They are just up the road from me and I popped in to see what they had got. Another source would be Omen Miniatures and I'm sure there are more out there.

Jeff

Try Cice arts they are superb, and the cheapest b far...

Just type in figure painting 7mm and you should find them...

This is what you want...

http://artcice.wixsite.com/cice

I'm sure you'll like what you see...

Hi All,

Received my 45 in green from Tower with sound installed, couple problems, one wiper blade missing, however Tower have informed me to ring Howes on Tuesday and they will send me one.

On the lighting front, when moving forwards the red brake lights are showing instead of the obvious white ones, am I going mad here or is there a simple explanation and easy fix?

It is a lovely model, as Bachmann refused to update their 00 gauge I have moved over to O Guage and got the Heljan Peak. Has anyone else experienced missing parts and has the new packaging resolved previous problems?

Look forward to replies. I have the NCE Power Cab controller.by the way.

To deactivate the red tail (not 'brake' !) lights there is a small and inconspicuous slide switch beneath Number 2 cab. I am on DC only so can't programme them out. If, as I assume, you are on DCC there may well be another way. Hope this helps.

Jeff

I have just installed sound into my Peak and must say the model is a vast improvement over other Heljan models, very DCC friendly, the wiring did not need extending and wiring colours are now common, i.e right hand pick up's are red, left hand black etc.

Decoder I have used, supplied by Paul Chetter, is the new Zimo 696 which mounts onto a sub connector board which is really usefull should I want to have the Decoder modified at any time as it simply unplugs leaving all the wiring in place.

attachicon.gifIMG_4624.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4625.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4668.JPG

Richard

I like the decoder installation very much - it looks similar to the ESU L package i.e. decoder and breakout board.  You mentioned that Paul Chetter supplied wa sthat direct or through Digitrains.  I hope it's a good price. 

Norman

Richard

I like the decoder installation very much - it looks similar to the ESU L package i.e. decoder and breakout board.  You mentioned that Paul Chetter supplied wa sthat direct or through Digitrains.  I hope it's a good price. 

Norman

Norman,

Direct from Paul at a very good price.

Richard

Norman

Norman,

Can anyone tell me how to contact Paul Chetter direct please?

I have just received my Peak which is a beautiful model and it is a real pity it's been damaged in transit.  The loco had been bolted to a piece of 9mm MDF but there was no foam packaging to prevent the loco moving in the box from end to end.  I guess the box has been dropped at some time and the bolts broken through the MDF damaging both of the bogies and also parts of the debris have damaged the paint finish on the yellow ends.  I have tried contacting Howes but the Heljan man only works two days a week so I will have to be patient until Monday.  I suspect the loco will have to be returned.  I am surprised and disappointed at the poor packaging I would have thought that any practically minded person could predict the result of not fitting foam supports at the ends let alone a packaging engineer.  They obviously did not carry out a standard drop test!

Norman

Edited by norman

Can anyone tell me how to contact Paul Chetter direct please?

I have just received my Peak which is a beautiful model and it is a real pity it's been damaged in transit.  The loco had been bolted to a piece of 9mm MDF but there was no foam packaging to prevent the loco moving in the box from end to end.  I guess the box has been dropped at some time and the bolts broken through the MDF damaging both of the bogies and also parts of the debris have damaged the paint finish on the yellow ends.  I have tried contacting Howes but the Heljan man only works two days a week so I will have to be patient until Monday.  I suspect the loco will have to be returned.  I am surprised and disappointed at the poor packaging I would have thought that any practically minded person could predict the result of not fitting foam supports at the ends let alone a packaging engineer.  They obviously did not carry out a standard drop test!

Norman

I am planning on buying a Peak and have not got round to ordering yet.

Disappointing to hear of more packaging issues.

I always though the original boxes with lots of foam packaging was best by miles....they did something different with the 60 and messed up and now you hear stories like this which suggests the latest packaging is not ideal.

Why change the original packaging.

It is crazy that £500+ locos are getting damaged in transit....

Richard

Norman

Norman,

Hi Richard Pike

I've sent you a PM

Regards

Norman

Hi Richard Pike

I've sent you a PM

Regards

Norman

Me too please, I would like to contact Paul to learn more about this new decoder and his CL45 sound file...

I have his 08 implementation and it is superb..

Many thanks...

Hi Richard Pike

I've sent you a PM

Regards

Norman

Norman, I have responded twice to you by PM but you must not be receiving them for some reason.

Easiest method of contact is look up one of his many post's in the DCC sound thread and PM him directly.

To deactivate the red tail (not 'brake' !) lights there is a small and inconspicuous slide switch beneath Number 2 cab. I am on DC only so can't programme them out. If, as I assume, you are on DCC there may well be another way. Hope this helps.

Jeff

HI Jeff,

Many thanks for your help, have now sorted problem the wiring for the lighting was back to front. A simple switch and hey presto!

Norman, I have responded twice to you by PM but you must not be receiving them for some reason.

Easiest method of contact is look up one of his many post's in the DCC sound thread and PM him directly.

Hi Richard

Apologies my Orange/EE email account stopped on 31 May and I had not changed my email on RMweb.  It's right now.

I will do as you suggest to trace Paul - thanks

Norman

Legomanbiffo have there new Class 45 Peak available on an ESU XL decoder, the Functions are as below:

Heljan 45's and wired and the auxiliary outputs as follows. 

Aux 1 Roof fan

Aux 2 Tail lights at fan end

Aux 3 Tail lights at other end

Aux 4 Cab light at other end

Aux 5 Cab light at fan end

F0   Light engine mode (whites at the front, reds at the rear, changes ends automatically)

​F1   Sound On/Off

F2   Playable Low Horn

​F3   Playable High Horn

F4   Coupling (Stationery / Buffer Clash (Moving Slowly)

​F5   Air Brake

​F6   Drivers Door (3 Random Slams)

​F7   Compressor (Different at each end, depends on direction of travel)

F8   Drive Lock

​F9   Speed Dependant Wheel Squeel

F10 Right Away Whistle

​F12 Two Speed Roof Fans/Cooler Group

F13 Pre Start & Stop Sounds

F14 Exhauster

F18 Detonators (Three Bank Stop)

F15 DriveLock (Exclusive Feature) Please see driving notes below.

F19 Aux 1 (AutoFade Cab Directional Cab Lights)  

• RMweb Premium

Probably a dumb question but, apart from the obvious front end changes, what would be needed to convert one of these engines back to a class 44 Peak?

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

Probably a dumb question but, apart from the obvious front end changes, what would be needed to convert one of these engines back to a class 44 Peak?

Tim

Hi Tim,

The long side grilles were different too but I am sure it could be done.

Cheers Peter.

Just got my green cl45 and most impressed with it... Trial runs on DC prior to conversion to switchable DCC proved that it was indeed very good.

However, what is not so good is the revised packaging method, no protection for the loco ends and great risk of damage if rough handling occurs... First thing I added was some end foam to cushion the loco once released from the captive bolts in the base for protection when traveling to shows etc.

I cannot imagine many people continually bolting it in each time...

The foam packaging and thin sheet was a good packaging method in the old boxes which offered fair protection to expensive locos. Heljan why have you done this? It's very poor and, as another correspondent on this forum attests, certainly unlikely to survive any standard postal packaging tests... Certainly risky for anyone who buys a loco and has it posted...

I hope it gets changed back Asap.

• RMweb Gold

Norman

Hi Norman,

My blue Peak arrived the same, damaged with the motor bogie hanging out when you lifted the loco - all the internal clips had snapped off - because the bolts had been overtightened, one so much I couldn't move it even with a power drill! My retailer and Heljan were very good, it went back to Heljan in Denmark and a brand new one in perfect condition was returned.

However, what is not so good is the revised packaging method, no protection for the loco ends and great risk of damage if rough handling occurs... First thing I added was some end foam to cushion the loco once released from the captive bolts in the base for protection when traveling to shows etc.

I cannot imagine many people continually bolting it in each time...

The foam packaging and thin sheet was a good packaging method in the old boxes which offered fair protection to expensive locos. Heljan why have you done this? It's very poor and, as another correspondent on this forum attests, certainly unlikely to survive any standard postal packaging tests... Certainly risky for anyone who buys a loco and has it posted...

I hope it gets changed back Asap.

I'm told they had major problems with the 60s and recent 37s due to the foam inserts. The foam being used compresses too much when 4kg of loco is pushed against it - apparently there have been way too many damaged 37s. This idea was suppose to prevent movement, and two retailers have told me that although there have been issues, they are 80-85% lower than the number of damaged 37s. Cannot qualify if that's true or not, but two independent retailers have told me the same thing, so it looks to be more secure in transit.

Packing locos away in their boxes for us, however is a different story!

Rich