Jinty in O gauge

steve fay

• RMweb Premium

There's quite a size difference all round if it's a 1F you're thinking of...

Here's my OO versions by way of comparison.

Rob

Thanks for that, rob. It was going through my mind, but it would mean a new superstructure really.

• RMweb Premium

Wonder how much of a job it would be to make the firebox a "round top" and stick a "half cab" on?

edit: oh, and there's the smoke box door.

LMS standard 3F: 8'0" + 8'6"; 1F: 7'4" + 7'8" (originally 1102, 1377, 1552 classes) or 7'4" + 8'2" (1121 class). Of course there's the 2441 class, from the Belpaire boilered rebuild of which the LMS standard engine was derived. But there are many awkward detail differences, even for the Belpaire version.

• 3 weeks later...

The release for the LMS 3F is meant to be on or after the 28th according to Hattons at the moment, so only a few days away. They do not say if all liveries are released at once in the email news..

Stephen.

Correction the 27th is on the site now.......

Edited by bertiedog

Before everyone gets a little bit too excited

Dapol have airfreighted some in.

These are being allocated and distributed, but don't expect retailers to have full allocations. 

The balance of retailer orders is due to arrive in November.   You may yet have to wait for your retailer if your order is a later one.

It's the right sort of price to attract attention, but don't forget there is already the Terrier, with the Pannier to come, and the GWR 042, all at about the same price point. The 08 was a super loco for O gauge, but the Jinty will attract more attention from new buyers in the larger scales, as it is so well known.

I just wish there were cheaper wagons to go with them, perhaps even undecorated ones to save a bit of money, or a Dapol kit in plastic like the Kitmaster Airfix ones they do in 00. it needs turnover not just occasional sales of locos to get 0 gauge going again as a mainstream size.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

Stephen, Dapol RTR wagons and Parkside/Slaters kits are all at roughly the same price point.  IMO, they are quite good value.  Not sure how you could get cheaper wagons unless you go after Lima or Skytrex.  Original Coopercraft GWR wagon kits were pretty cheap.  These are now in the Slaters range with improvements and price increase.

I think Dapol have given the scale a powerful push in the mainstream direction.  Surprised other manufacturers haven't seen the writing.

John

• RMweb Gold

Mine is on its way for Monday

Having been slightly caught out by buying a DCC/Sound factory fitted version of the 08 I have elected to go for the DC version.

Who would be best for the sound decoder for the Jinty?

Thanks

Andrew

My choice would be.......... Digitrains 3F sound with a Zimo MX645 decoder plus a speaker that will fit available space........

....in a converted 4mm Bachmann....

Mine is on its way for Monday

Having been slightly caught out by buying a DCC/Sound factory fitted version of the 08 I have elected to go for the DC version.

Who would be best for the sound decoder for the Jinty?

Thanks

Andrew

I second the Digitrains/Zimo combination, having fitted the same in my Connoisseur 3F "Jinty".  You should be able to fit a larger speaker in the 7mm version.

Having done that for my 08, I plan to do the same thing for my Jinty.  There is definitely a premium to be paid for sound on board I think.  I'll have to wait for it to get here before deciding on speaker, unless someone does the job first.

John

Having done that for my 08, I plan to do the same thing for my Jinty.  There is definitely a premium to be paid for sound on board I think.  I'll have to wait for it to get here before deciding on speaker, unless someone does the job first.

John

John,

I think you know who to call.LOL

Kind regards,

Paul