Oxford Diecast vehicles

grahame

I am sure that when car manufacturers want small models/toys to use for promotion they won't expect to wait.

They wouldn't baulk at £35 an item either!

The reality is the development/ production process takes about the sane amount of time but having a model available at the launch of its full size prototype, entirely depends on the manufacturers willingness to make CAD data available. If its a model exclusive to them by a manufacturer they have an established relationship with, the chances are much greater. That isn't Oxfords market though.

They wouldn't baulk at £35 an item either!

The reality is the development/ production process takes about the sane amount of time but having a model available at the launch of its full size prototype, entirely depends on the manufacturers willingness to make CAD data available. If its a model exclusive to them by a manufacturer they have an established relationship with, the chances are much greater. That isn't Oxfords market though.

It might not be their market but their licencing agreements with Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar, and Land Rover involve close co-operation. Even having the CAD is not always quite enough when making a vehicle still to be launched. The blog item for 15 March 2017 regarding the Jaguar F-Pace explores the issues. http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/blogs/news

Is there any update info on the 1:148 Cortina? It's over two months since the last news about it on this thread.

G.

Although the Cortina is part of the same tooling suite of about 10 models available to go into production from early February, being a licensed Ford I would expect it to take longer to release than any of the others in that collection simply because Ford will want to approve the production model. All takes time and money!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

being a licensed Ford I would expect it to take longer to release than any of the others in that collection simply because Ford will want to approve the production model. All takes time and money!

Are Ford really that picky and difficult to deal with over a vehicle they haven't made for nearly half a century? The Scenecraft Ford Capris were hardly state of the art replicas and only vaguely like a real Capri. Plus don't ODC have a Cortina in their OO range so have already been through any approval process and would know enough to get cracking on it if it was a lengthy process.

I find the licencing issue, while it may be a real hurdle, a bit of an excuse for delays. Ford must be well used to dealing with model/toy companies by now. A quick look at model/toys of the Ford Focus reveals a huge number of companies who presumably went through the approval/licence process for their products: Double Horses, Burago, Majorette, Revell, SimilR, Airfix, Realtoy, Mimichamps, Hot wheels, Matchbox, Cararama, Rally Skid, Scalextrix, Deagostini, Hasegawa, Famous and so on.

G

• Like 1

It is easy to confuse a reason with an excuse when it suits. That confusion will not make any model appear more quickly. After the tooling issues which delayed the production of the 1/148 Cortina and about 10 other N models, I would be surprised if OD would be deliberately delaying their release, seeing as most of the heavy tooling investment has been committed since early 2016! See post #50 earlier in this thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116781-oxford-diecast-vehicles/?p=2592494. There may be some finished models on show on 1/2 June with the next OD release announcements.

My comment in the post #79 above was intended to be helpful. Ford approve each model, and each licence and approval is scale specific. Not all of the manufacturers Grahame mentioned in post #81 have Ford licences. Oxford Diecast does not operate like that. Each approved Oxford Diecast Ford model carries a separate self-adhesive Ford QR code sticker on the packaging.

To understand the history of Oxford Diecast and copyright infringement issues there is some light reading somewhere on the web with the lengthy proceedings in the case against them by the Chipperfields Circus family. The whole Chipperfields range was withdrawn, although OD appear to have eventually won the case.

As far as I know the Scenecraft "Capri" was not approved by Ford and did not carry the Ford name. Might explain its slightly fantasy shape.

Edited by mikeharvey22

It is easy to confuse a reason with an excuse when it suits. That confusion will not make any model appear more quickly.

I don't agree with that. A reason can become an excuse when it is used to obfuscate the real issues such as justifying delays when perhaps a slicker operation wouldn't have got in to that position. I'm certainly not confused but I am starting to believe there is some intransigence creeping in to the process.

G.

I understand that you feel that way. Hopefully the two new 1/148 car castings to be announced over the next week will get close to their planned delivery by March 2018., and restore your confidence. Perhaps the prospect of competing cars in the N Scenecraft range would spur Oxford to commit part of their 1/76 development and production spend towards N. Somehow I doubt it, given the comparative market sizes.

Edited by mikeharvey22

• 4 weeks later...