Royal Mail Vans 1980

delticman

Around 1980 the Post Office were using a lot of the EA vans too.

Hi Bernard,

RTI do one now...I was at Ally Pally on Sat, I was even at their stand...on Monday evening I discovered they had released the EA.

Grrr....timing!

Steve

ps Daryle Toney has released a J4. He took over the old John Day range.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bernard,

RTI do one now...I was at Ally Pally on Sat, I was even at their stand...on Monday evening I discovered they had released the EA.

Grrr....timing!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Ref to Daryl Toney...

Do you have any contact details?

If so - can you post them up here?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Bernard,

Grrr....timing!

Steve

I bet you wish you'd read this thread before you went!

A 240bhp variant would be pretty nippy!

YOU WHAT !

I don't think there was 24 bhp in the ones I used to drive from from Bristol Cattle market office down to wedmore back in the day! Swaddled in mail bags to keep warm,crossing prince street bridge with out slowing down between the bollards (6'6") and a EA was that is (6'2") wide! Still wonder I got away without hitting them ever! All to the sound of the rear shutter banging up and down due to the play of the worn out Henderson shutter

And if I remember 40mph was it!

Once had twenty five postman drivers including me in the back of a 360 in a card school to kill time in the near two hour trip to Swindon to collect some new vans

Thanks for the memories.....Eeer may be not shudder!

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The 240 refers to the capacity in cubic feet, this referred to the short wheelbase, low roof version. There were also 260 (short wheelbase, high roof), 340 (long wheelbase, low roof) and 380 I think it was (long wheelbase, high roof).

A 240bhp variant would be pretty nippy!

YOU WHAT !

I don't think there was 24 bhp in the ones I used to drive from from Bristol Cattle market office down to wedmore back in the day! Swaddled in mail bags to keep warm,crossing prince street bridge with out slowing down between the bollards (6'6") and a EA was that is (6'2") wide! Still wonder I got away without hitting them ever! All to the sound of the rear shutter banging up and down due to the play of the worn out Henderson shutter

And if I remember 40mph was it!

Once had twenty five postman drivers including me in the back of a 360 in a card school to kill time in the near two hour trip to Swindon to collect some new vans

Thanks for the memories.....Eeer may be not shudder!

At the end of the 70's the British Leyland motorsport team used a handful of EAs as service vans for their rally team - only theirs had the diesel engine replaced by a 3.5 litre Rover V8 - I don't know about 240bhp, but I bet they were a bit livelier than the ones the Post Office got!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At the end of the 70's the British Leyland motorsport team used a handful of EAs as service vans for their rally team - only theirs had the diesel engine replaced by a 3.5 litre Rover V8 - I don't know about 240bhp, but I bet they were a bit livelier than the ones the Post Office got!

But how did they handle on a slippery road when fully laden?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The 'spacevans' and later Sherpas were used more for delivery and collection work, benches being fitted in the back for postmen to ride on while being taken out to their 'walks'l; side facing seating in a vehicle with no windows would be highly illegal now of course!  They would not be a common site at a larger station, but could well turn up to pick up bags or parcels at smaller ones, especially in the days when dmus and other local trains had brake van space to carry such things.  Box vans like the ones Geoff Delticman has made such a good job here of were used for station transfer work to the sorting office, and were a constant 24 hour feature of station forecourts or parcels entrances and the roads between there and the sorting office, and very suggestive of whatever period they are from.

A couple of red painted Royal Mail barrows, empty, or piled with bags (in which case someone should be in attendance and working on them), in the vicinity would complete the picture in the days before 'York' containers were used, pre early 90s IIRC.  Later than that, of course, the yorkies took over!

Geoff, it might be worth getting in touch with Royal Mail Sheffield about number plates.  

Edited by The Johnster

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got any good photos of Royal Mail Sherpa vans?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

May not be much help scanned these in the other day. Happened a good many years back. I have quite a few other shots that may be of more use so I will try and scan and post later.

Gordon W.

post-9384-0-29069400-1496132449_thumb.jpg

BMC J4 just announced by Oxford Diecast in Royal Mail livery.

How far in the future is it, though?

This underlines Bernard TPM's point about Oxford and the kit market, especially in view of the fact that Daryle Toney has also recently released a J4 in Royal Mail livery.

Steve

ps this doesn't mean I won't buy one...as well as Daryle's, of course!

• Like 1

How far in the future is it, though?

This underlines Bernard TPM's point about Oxford and the kit market, especially in view of the fact that Daryle Toney has also recently released a J4 in Royal Mail livery.

Steve

ps this doesn't mean I won't buy one...as well as Daryle's, of course!

Hmmm probably Q1 2018 for the Oxford version. Indeed that's what the new Oxford Diecast catalogue says.

Edited by wamwig

Yes i do produce them, what are you looking for?

Hi,

To start with, I'd be interested in those English Royal Mail transfers as on your Sherpa!

The Trackside LD also has modern Welsh transfers so they'd need to be replaced too.

Would you consider publishing a list of transfers?

Steve

• 3 months later...

I finally ordered a J4 from Daryle at John Day models, paid for it yesterday and it turned up this morning! It's a nice clean casting with a good interior (ideal to add a driver...) and easy to fit wheels that I might be able to steer.

Steve

Edited by divibandit
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I can vividly remember driving a J4 on afternoon collections during the long hot summer of ‘76 when you could have cooked a good meal on the flipping engine cover sat between the seats....

Then there was some Idiot who thought getting mini vans was a good idea......

Oh the good old days......

Izzy