Dapol announces O gauge BR 20T Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

I'm another that finished a Slaters kit in the last few weeks!

Fortunately made it as the LNER version with sheet rather than concrete end platforms, and short footboards, an option that doesn't seem as yet on offer. Nor, as Paul Bartlett remarked, is the BR1/500. Life in Ye Olde Slaters kit yet!

John.

As a kit builder for hire I doubt I'll be doing many more of these!

There's always the detailing and weathering to consider...

Agreed Mr C, high fidelity RTR models will gut the kit market. We haven't quite reached the saturation of 4mm yet though. I like to build kits but if there's the same vehicle available RTR, I will probably opt for that. As mentioned in another thread, even if the RTR isn't perfect, the minor issues can be corrected by the modeller. Wouldn't it just spoil all the fun if we had perfect RTR?John

Some RTR isnt quite high fidelity yet though and, whilst Im short on time I still enjoy building kits, plus my 'opens', from kits dont come with warped sides/ends, which are a so and so to straighten on RTR, and look very 'wrong' on certain wooden opens too....

Rather than have more duplication what about a 20T Stanier brake van which were built in large numbers over a long period and could be seen across the length and breadth of the country. I know I've banged on about it before but when is one of the RTR producers going to do a standard B.R. cattle wagon? To the best of my knowledge no-one has ever produced one in 7mm scale even in kit form.

Ray.

....didnt Skytrex do a CV? Also most of your wish list is available in kit form is it not? As Ive banged on about, duplication between kits and RTR is bad enough, RTR going head to head in 7mm? The market isnt really big enough for such in the UK...

Am I the only one who thinks £79.95 is expensive, personally I prefer building the kits. I would of thought £60 is nearer the mark.

Martyn.

Agreed, but retailers will discount I suspect....

Tower are doing them for £67.95

Bingo! That answers that question. Having said that IIRC, Skytrex marketed their BV for about £80 and Ive seen some kit builders put out a parkside van, or two, built, painted etc at about £80 (which I suspect is a kit build in between commissions type deal).

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Rather than have more duplication what about a 20T Stanier brake van which were built in large numbers over a long period and could be seen across the length and breadth of the country. I know I've banged on about it before but when is one of the RTR producers going to do a standard B.R. cattle wagon?  To the best of my knowledge no-one has ever produced one in 7mm scale even in kit form.

Ray.

At the moment it looks like LLC will be duplicating Slaters. Dapol is a model not previously available. The BR standard van is far from standard and not what the LNER built.

Paul

There's always the detailing and weathering to consider... Some RTR isnt quite high fidelity yet though and, whilst Im short on time I still enjoy building kits, plus my 'opens', from kits dont come with warped sides/ends, which are a so and so to straighten on RTR, and look very 'wrong' on certain wooden opens too........didnt Skytrex do a CV? Also most of your wish list is available in kit form is it not? As Ive banged on about, duplication between kits and RTR is bad enough, RTR going head to head in 7mm? The market isnt really big enough for such in the UK...Agreed, but retailers will discount I suspect....Bingo! That answers that question. Having said that IIRC, Skytrex marketed their BV for about £80 and Ive seen some kit builders put out a parkside van, or two, built, painted etc at about £80 (which I suspect is a kit build in between commissions type deal).

Atvb

CME

£70-£80 is about right. Take off £30 for the kit and bit more for paint and your actually charging about £30-£40 to build and paint. Work that out as an hourly rate and it's not unfair :) Plus you get time to enjoy running trains instead of worrying about such things ;)

........didnt Skytrex do a CV? Also most of your wish list is available in kit form is it not?

Atvb

CME

Unless I'm very much mistaken the Skytrex one was on their standard 10' WB chassis rather than the correct 11'WB - I didn't count it as it was such a poor representation.  My post wasn't really a "wish list" as I've already built all the brake vans I need from kits - I was simply pointing out an alternative to having to divide the market for an RTR 20t brake. I'm not sure that the influx of budget priced RTR wagons will have too much impact on kit sales as, it seems to me from posts on here that many of the RTR buyers are new converts to 7mm and are not necessarily kit builders.

Ray.

At the moment it looks like LLC will be duplicating Slaters. Dapol is a model not previously available. The BR standard van is far from standard and not what the LNER built.

Paul

Hi Paul, yes it makes me chuckle when I read phrases such as 'BR standard BV', from what I can tell, they were far from standard, standardised to an extent perhaps, but lots of detail differences... 

I used the words "high fidelity" deliberately CME  ;)

John

I understand now Ha ha! 

£70-£80 is about right. Take off £30 for the kit and bit more for paint and your actually charging about £30-£40 to build and paint. Work that out as an hourly rate and it's not unfair :) Plus you get time to enjoy running trains instead of worrying about such things ;)

Yep, £80 is a fair deal, when one compares the hourly rate of a skilled model-maker to eg. motor industry main dealer hourly charges for 'fitters' (note I write Fitters and not Motor Mechanics/Engineers-I think they are now called Master Technicians).

ATVB

CME.

Unless I'm very much mistaken the Skytrex one was on their standard 10' WB chassis rather than the correct 11'WB - I didn't count it as it was such a poor representation. My post wasn't really a "wish list" as I've already built all the brake vans I need from kits - I was simply pointing out an alternative to having to divide the market for an RTR 20t brake. I'm not sure that the influx of budget priced RTR wagons will have too much impact on kit sales as, it seems to me from posts on here that many of the RTR buyers are new converts to 7mm and are not necessarily kit builders.

Ray.

Hi Ray,

I never looked closely at the SKYTREX BV, you have a point, as its seems like it was miles off...but perhaps a case of horses for courses though (but not worth £80)?

Like you, I have built a few BVs and a few are nearly complete and await paint-which used to be a summer exercise, but building the garden section of the line takes over the summer months in past 2-3 yrs. Hopefully a portable spray booth and acrylics will assist in winter painting jobs-I hope that you are right re Kits vs RTR, but duplication wont help. Having said that SELECTIVE RTR purchases will help me achieve the over all goal of a substantially complete layout and thus running trains.

Most of the time though wagon kits are a big part of the hobby for me. And building a BV kit is ideal for newcomers to move on from wagons/vans to coaches and locos, a BV kit is a nice stepping stone, so to speak.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Agree very much with your last line CME.  I think a Parkside PO wagon is a perfect starter for the beginner, moving then onto vans and finally brake vans.  Each comes with its' challenges but great satisfaction too.  :senile:  Coaches next for me and I have a 2nd hand Slaters 1F lurking on my ToDo shelf.

John

Agree very much with your last line CME.  I think a Parkside PO wagon is a perfect starter for the beginner, moving then onto vans and finally brake vans.  Each comes with its' challenges but great satisfaction too.  :senile:  Coaches next for me and I have a 2nd hand Slaters 1F lurking on my ToDo shelf.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words!

Your progress and methodology sounds great! Keep up the good works, being creative is the joyous part of the hobby.

Atvb

CME

Paul,

Just out of interest, what are the main differences between the BR diag 500 and the 504? The length over headstocks are the same, wheelbase the same. Surely it's only minor variations that can still be built into a Slaters kit?

Mike

Some prototype photos. I haven't had any input to these models.

Product Code Description MRP

7F-200-001 B951771 Grey CAO £79.95  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan506/e2e9fd5ff

7F-200-002 B952182 Grey £79.95

7F-200-003 B953095 Grey £79.95   http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/e17154e

7F-200-004 B951224 Bauxite CAP £79.95  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/e1331ed9a

7F-200-005 B952042 Bauxite £79.95

7F-200-006 B952978 Bauxite £79.95   http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/ef06252b

7F-200-007 Unnumbered Grey £79.95

7F-200-008 Unnumbered Bauxite £79.95

Paul

Hi Paul,

With the grey vans and in particular, CAO what eras do Dapol appear to be catering for? 'CAO' rings a bell as 'post TOPS' to me.

With thanks and kind regards,

CME

Hi Paul,

With the grey vans and in particular, CAO what eras do Dapol appear to be catering for? 'CAO' rings a bell as 'post TOPS' to me.

CME

All m photos are dated.

CAO was a standard TOPS Code introduced from the start of TOPS.

Paul

Hi Paul,

CME

The TOPS system was implemented in 1973 gradually covering all the network, not all wagons would have been stencilled with a TOPS code on day one,

it would probably have taken a year or so to do them all.

Brake vans were being withdrawn during the 1970s and 1980s as unfitted freight vehicles were withdrawn and the BR network became an increasingly fully fitted system.

Once the network was fully fitted brake vans were still required on some categories of dangerous goods trains, and also for some propelling moves, and somewhere for the guard or shunter to ride if the loco was not permitted to work a Driver Only train. This meant that the last surviving brake vans tended to be CAP (vacuum piped) or more commonly type CAR (dual piped vacuum and air),

cheers

• Like 1

Email from Hattons this morning :-

Dapol 7F-200-005 20-ton standard brake van B952042 in BR bauxite £67.96

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between November 2017 & December 2017

rgds

Richard

Interesting, quite a range on their site including several that appear to be similar to my photos.

Paul

• 5 months later...

Oooh. I might get beaten to it!

post-14090-0-12660800-1506358765_thumb.jpg

post-14090-0-71959100-1506358718_thumb.jpg

If anybody is interested it took a ###### equipped JCB to break out the concrete ballast (just managed it). Contained therein? 43 three link couplings and four instantas. All told around three tonne of scrap iron infill.

I can't believe the word ###### is redacted  :fool:

Edited by Bezzy Oppo
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...