The Marlborough Branch

Alcanman

If I can offer my excuses .

I'm involved in the UK based Freemo thing , which is good as it gave me a kick up the behind to actually produce something , and I certainly enjoy the operations side of things there,

I'd like to build something smaller and more manageable for home use , but this is where the log jam begins - I have use of a 12x8 spare room , ideally for a shelf layout as the good lady would like to be able to use the room as well.

The dilemma is whether to build a fixed home-only layout , or something sectional that could be exhibited. And that's before I start on the layout ideas I have, which so far include:

Norfolk Southern based on the C line in Georgia 

A layout based on Gambles /Eighty Four PA , though not necessarily using Allegheny Valley Railroad power

A layout based on Humboldt Industrial Park in West Hazelton PA , which I can kind of fit into an L-shape around the walls

A version of Chris Gilbert's North Haston - something relatively small and achievable 

And so , for now , I do nothing but wish I did have a layout to run...

If I can offer my excuses .

I'm involved in the UK based Freemo thing , which is good as it gave me a kick up the behind to actually produce something , and I certainly enjoy the operations side of things there,

I'd like to build something smaller and more manageable for home use , but this is where the log jam begins - I have use of a 12x8 spare room , ideally for a shelf layout as the good lady would like to be able to use the room as well.

The dilemma is whether to build a fixed home-only layout , or something sectional that could be exhibited. And that's before I start on the layout ideas I have, which so far include:

Norfolk Southern based on the C line in Georgia 

A layout based on Gambles /Eighty Four PA , though not necessarily using Allegheny Valley Railroad power

A layout based on Humboldt Industrial Park in West Hazelton PA , which I can kind of fit into an L-shape around the walls

A version of Chris Gilbert's North Haston - something relatively small and achievable 

And so , for now , I do nothing but wish I did have a layout to run...

Please PM me about the C Line in Georgia. Regards, Tom Holley

For some time I've been looking for some modern tank cars, without much success.

A few months ago Model Junction had some Scaletrains (Rivet Counter) Trinity tanks cars in stock, however at around £40.00 ($51.50) each, I decided not to buy.

Last week I found a brand new one on ebay UK for just over half price.

The detail is superb, with lots of metal fittings including the distinctive end shields, coupler cut levers, trainline hoses ,rotating axle box caps and metal semi scale shelf couplers.

I've decided to leave the car in pristine condition. These cars are relatively new , having been built in the last few years.

post-7898-0-33955200-1496146525_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-30048300-1496146566_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-16064100-1496146591_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 6

Yeah! The wheels are a tad shiny, so I will weather them.

I was so impressed with the Scaletrains tank car that I ordered a second one, which arrived today, less than 24hrs after ordering!

post-7898-0-54397300-1496235506_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-94008400-1496235556_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I've been looking at these as well, maybe if they produce a corn syrup or vegetable oil tank car then I might consider buying a couple but I have to agree about the high prices being a bit off putting. Even some of the latest tank car offerings from Walthers and Atlas have been going up in price but the detail is getting better all the time, a far cry from some of the 'shake the box' kits I built when I first started modelling American 22 years ago -but I was only paying between £5 and £10 per kit, Happy Days!

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. Mal, beautiful layout! You U K guys sure build some great looking US layouts.

I'm currently building a portable layout based on your plan it's a fun layout. My comment about ScaleTrains is that they are an awesome company. Quality is high and the prices are reasonable here the states. The rivet counters are still 10-15 bucks cheaper then anthearn Genesis.

Eric

Lafayette, Indiana

• Like 1

the prices are reasonable here in the States.

Tell us about it!! :rolleyes: We have to factor in Shipping costs, & 20% "Value Added Tax" imposed on imported stuff. :shout: :mad: oh and the currently rather poor £-to-$ Exchange Rate.

Those tankers do look pretty special, though! Rotating bearing caps in HO..!! The only trouble now is, Mal, they'll show up all your stock that haven't got rotating bearing caps, now. :jester: (guess how I know, in O Scale ;) )

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. Mal, beautiful layout! You U K guys sure build some great looking US layouts.

I'm currently building a portable layout based on your plan it's a fun layout. My comment about ScaleTrains is that they are an awesome company. Quality is high and the prices are reasonable here the states. The rivet counters are still 10-15 bucks cheaper then anthearn Genesis.

Eric

Lafayette, Indiana

Thanks Eric and welcome to RMWeb.

Marlborough is certainly a 'fun layout'. Each time I operate the layout, I'm finding different ways to switch the industries , in a reasonably prototypical manner.  The variety of switching moves makes

operating more interestng than my previous 'Inglenook' type layouts where I tended to use the same switching moves each operating session.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 4

Thanks Ray. I have to agree with you, I had also noticed a reduction in postings in recent months. Where have all the US modellers gone?

I have stalled with my new build, my job is really sapping my free time and my energy of an evening.

The layout is looking fantastic Mal. Keep it up.

"Doctor Gerbil Fritters to the layout room. Doctor Gerbil Fritters to the layout room!"

Funny you should say that.  I spent this afternoon in the shed, and at the end of it had laid a roundy-roundy with a couple of largish industries to switch....

No plan, I just made it up as I went along.  The incentive was a looming garden party, and the suggestion from Lady Dr Mrs Gerbil-Fritters that the chaps might prefer to hide in the shed with beer and watch the trains going round.

• Like 3

I decided to lightly weather the Scaletrains tank cars, and, course, paint the wheels and trucks. The revolving axle box caps actually hold the axle/wheels in place. Scaletrains, thoughtfully provide 4 spare caps. They are easily lost, especially when you have a blue carpet in the train room!!

post-7898-0-02487000-1496846299_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-18813700-1496846328_thumb.jpg

The semi-scale shelf couplers look great, but , as I expected, they don't work well with Kadees. As the 2 cars will work as a pair, I've left the 2 inner shelf couplers in place and fitted Kadees to the outer ends.

post-7898-0-35097100-1496846526_thumb.jpg

I've also weathered the GE Dash 7 and I can see why this particular CSX paint scheme was nicknamed 'stealth' ! 

post-7898-0-04358200-1496846731_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-73531200-1496846766_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Speaking of faded paint, Lance Mindheim has an article on weathering his LAJ CF7 in Mays issue of Model Railroad Craftsman which features some serious fading of it's ex ATSF blue on the long hood as per belowpost-28988-0-41468900-1496990918_thumb.jpg

post-28988-0-09065700-1496990944_thumb.jpg

The results as always are awesome, BTW as you'd expect from Lance,the bright yellow paint work on the frames of this loco are entirely prototypical! I look forward to getting my copy soon :)

Cheers

Nick

• Like 3

''..........All that remains of the branch today is a short spur off the ‘main’ serving the Safety-Kleen waste oil facility, which can be seen on Google Earth.''

The above quote is from my introductory post. It suddenly dawned on me that the Transload spur could become Safety-Kleen, receiving tank cars loaded with waste oil for re-cycling.

I can now emulate this scene.  

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?2002060415305110164.jpg:bysearch:marlborough+junction:SEARCHTYPE=SIMPLE&PAGE=1&BOOL=ALL&SEARCHSTRING=marlborough+junction

• Like 2

• 4 months later...