Guest Digital

Hazchem symbols, no.

I was just curious as to what would have been be required in the 1980's compared to today.

Thanks

John

Anyone remember this brake van along the N Wales Coast? Here it is at Llandudno Junction (photo by Chris Pastori) but did it ever make it to Trawsfynydd? It was to late for the explosive traffic but could have been used on the flask trains. Hornby did a model of this in 2010.

post-7968-0-75314500-1503168131_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A typical explosives train, photo by Dave Sallery and used with permission.

The photo shows 47234 entering Blaenau Ffestiniog from the Trawsfynydd direction on the evening of July 8th 1987.

post-7968-0-59154300-1503173460.jpg

• Like 12

Anyone remember this brake van along the N Wales Coast? Here it is at Llandudno Junction (photo by Chris Pastori) but did it ever make it to Trawsfynydd? It was to late for the explosive traffic but could have been used on the flask trains. Hornby did a model of this in 2010.

I remember it standing outside the office, but have no record of it working to Blaenau, although I could have missed it. Possibly used on the Amlwch.

Don't remember the Hornby version.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

• 3 weeks later...

Following this thread with interest :) 

I don't want to drag things off topic(!) but would air braked vans have been used on the explosives traffic on the Cambrian prior to the Barmouth bridge closure to freight? Or would the CXV Gunpowder vans have handled the traffic till the end? Conversely, would any CXV's ever have been loaded at Maentwrog Road?

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

Following this thread with interest :)

I don't want to drag things off topic(!) but would air braked vans have been used on the explosives traffic on the Cambrian prior to the Barmouth bridge closure to freight? Or would the CXV Gunpowder vans have handled the traffic till the end? Conversely, would any CXV's ever have been loaded at Maentwrog Road?

Thanks for any help.

The vacuum vans ran to Blaenau after the Cambrian finished freight working. However during the time Blaenau was used the air braked vans came along and were in use to Maentwrog Rd. when it opened.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to John for giving up his Sunday morning to come up to Maentwrog Road with his camera. I want to use a back scene of the actual location so we went to photograph the mountain range. It was typical local weather with low cloud and mist so not ideal conditions although very prototypical. We will have to see how the view turns out.

post-7968-0-57669100-1506258779_thumb.jpg

post-7968-0-77774200-1506258789_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks to John for giving up his Sunday morning to come up to Maentwrog Road with his camera. I want to use a back scene of the actual location so we went to photograph the mountain range. It was typical local weather with low cloud and mist so not ideal conditions although very prototypical. We will have to see how the view turns out.

Hope they turn out well Nick. One of the advantages of modelling a local prototype, easy to do field trips!

Hope they turn out well Nick. One of the advantages of modelling a local prototype, easy to do field trips!

Thanks Martyn, it was quite misty but that really adds to the atmosphere of the location as you know. I will wait until John works his magic to see what the photos turn out like. It is going to be printed 7ft long and mounted on foam board and laminated. If its no good it will be another trip although its hard to determine the weather which even though not far from home it can be quite different.

• Like 1

Giving me ideas Nick.  I'm about to re-do my backscene for Blaenau and wonder if I model a typical day , I can get away with not seeing anything in the distance.

Just paint the back scene grey Merf, that will do for Blaenau.

post-7968-0-73110300-1506276951.jpg

The result of todays field trip to Maentwrog Road, this will be 9ft long and 20 inches high when printed. You will be looking at a backscene of the real location. Thanks to John Humphries for photographing and stiching this together.

post-7968-0-47146200-1506279058_thumb.jpg

• Like 14