I saw the entry for that photo in my diary yesterday. I have been unable to print or scan any negs and trannies since going Windows10 (it didn't recognize my old scanner).

I like your layout. It has a purpose and must bring you hours of pleasure.

Hi Larry, would you mind me scaning the print and posting it for Nick ?

Apologies - but I've only just spotted this thread....
Nick, what a great project, and a layout that's shaping up really nicely

Fab prototype photos from Mefyn, and others too. Great location!

Can I ask, re your backscene. Is it printed straight onto the foamex? Or mounted onto it later?
Also, is this a flexible and durable result? - Just wondering whether it would stand up to being removed / manhandled, and perhaps even placed behind another layout....
(I've another future, daft project in mind, you see! lol)

Da bo
Marc

• Like 1

I have never seen a pic of a class 31 on the gunpowder traffic. But I did find this shot of Larry's in an old Rails Railfreight supplement. 31323 on a Flask.

I had a running session on Llanbourne today and thought why not run my model of 31323 on the gunpowder train I normally use a class 25 or 47. 

Great photos Peter.

31323 had a busy time in June 1987, it worked the explosives train 4 times and the flasks once so I may add it to my loco to do list.

I wonder when it gained the white stripe? Photos of January 1987 show it with just orange contrail stripe and white Kingfisher and a photo I have seen of it in September 87 show it with the white stripe added?

• Like 1

Apologies - but I've only just spotted this thread....

Nick, what a great project, and a layout that's shaping up really nicely

Fab prototype photos from Mefyn, and others too. Great location!

Can I ask, re your backscene. Is it printed straight onto the foamex? Or mounted onto it later?

Also, is this a flexible and durable result? - Just wondering whether it would stand up to being removed / manhandled, and perhaps even placed behind another layout....

(I've another future, daft project in mind, you see! lol)

Da bo

Marc

Thanks Marc,

As you say great photos posted on here the thread is turning out to be a useful resource of prototype photos and information thanks to the great contributions from locals.

The backscene was printed directly onto Foamex by a professional printer. It is flexible as you can see it is curved round the baseboard at both ends. It is also wipe clean and seems durable and doesn't crease wen curved unlike foam board.

Here it is, only fair to share with you Nick, as Larry's collection has been immense help with my layout too. 

Thanks very much for allowing it to be shared on the thread Larry and thanks to Merf for scanning and posting it.

The first photo I have actually seen of a 31 on the explosives train, 31201?

Any more 31 photos out there? 

Thanks very much for allowing it to be shared on the thread Larry and thanks to Merf for scanning and posting it.

Edited by Daveyt1977

I was up at Blaenau photographing 31's when everyone else with a camera was on the coast shooting mainline steam which has barely any historical value. 

• Like 3

Hi sorry for jumping in on this topic.. I’ve followed previous bits on Rmweb in the past about maentwrog road, and the trawsfynydd nuclear flask trains. I have a great interest in the line and what’s happening with it now?? Waiting events. The layout is really good. Well done. I’m currently building one myself..

I like to see any photos of the traffic on the line. Im new on here so not sure ref adding any photos. Cheers

I saw the entry for that photo in my diary yesterday. I have been unable to print or scan any negs and trannies since going Windows10 (it didn't recognize my old scanner).

I like your layout. It has a purpose and must bring you hours of pleasure.

Thanks Larry, 

Your pictures from back in the day have been a great source of Inspiration to me over the years, may be you could look out for a fairly cheap scanner I am bottowing a frainds Scanner at the moment and for a cheap one it's not bad it even makes some of my crap negs look half decent.

The layout does give me hours of pleasure, I still have plenty to do so in between running trains I still have a loco shed to finish and station roof to build.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

While on the subject of motive power that worked the Gunpowder train Young Merf posted a pic some time ago on my layout thread of a class 45 at Llandudno Junction Yard about to work the train. I have had a look for it but can't find it now. Also a quick look on Merf's flickr site and still no luck. 

I am also wondering did any class 40s when they were renumbered as 97's work the train as they were often at Llandudno Junction.

Cheers Peter.

Pete, you wrote this on 15/09/2010 so it looks like it may be on another thread..........................45029 failed on a Trans Pennine service yesterday so spent the best part of the day on shed. I am not sure what was wrong but this afternoon 45029 seemed to be fit and well, but unusually when I took these pictures was shunting the afternoon Target 90 trip to Maentwrog Road.

As far as I was aware 45s only worked Trans Pennine services and the odd Inter City and ballast train. A picture by Merfyn Jones on another thread showed a pic of a 45/0 on the Maentwrog Road working at Llandudno Jct, so I thought it would be a good excuse to copy the train.

Because of his job, Mervyn was well placed to photograph any oddball workings on the Conwy Valley branch. In a world of no mobile phones, we photographers relied heavily on phonecalls from BR contacts, magazine editors and darn good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. I missed the Class 45 working.

Edited by coachmann

Because of his job, Mervyn was well placed to photograph any oddball workings on the Conwy Valley branch. In a world of no mobile phones, we photographers relied heavily on phonecalls from BR contacts, magazine editors and darn good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. I missed the Class 45 working.

I started work at 07.00 and often the trip would be outside our office ready to go. If I missed it , would see it back at the Junction in the afternoon before going home.

post-1625-0-95461700-1515067507.jpg

Sorry Peter, no class 40s, they only seemed to do Penmaenmawr then.

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 6

I started work at 07.00 and often the trip would be outside our office ready to go. If I missed it , would see it back at the Junction in the afternoon before going home.

attachicon.gif45056.jpg

Sorry Peter, no class 40s, they only seemed to do Penmaenmawr then.

Hi Merf, Thats the pic. Thanks for posting it again. Didn't think the 97s worked it but thought you would know if they had. 

There you go Nick, you can go get yourself a nice Peak.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

There you go Nick, you can go get yourself a nice Peak.

No, I believe the Peak only worked to Blaenau before the siding was laid at Maentwrog Road, hence no brake van on that train in the picture!

I am also wondering did any class 40s when they were renumbered as 97's work the train as they were often at Llandudno Junction.

No they didn't but I have a couple anyway (modellers licence).

No they didn't but I have a couple anyway (modellers licence).

Hi Nick I have seen a pic of a class 40 working a train but it was early 80s so why not have a 97. 

Cheers Peter.

The 97s(40's) were on restrictive services if memory serves my correctly along with some Class 47's. I may be wrong of course. I was always more interested in the photography than the subject. The 97's worked ballast turns between Penmaenmawr quarry and Chester/Crewe. 

One popular Class 25 on the Gunpowder working was the Ice Cream Van with its unique livery.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

The 97s(40's) were on restrictive services if memory serves my correctly

97405 -97408

These four locomotives were renumbered from class 40 locomotives, which had all recently been withdrawn from normal traffic. In 1985, they were returned to use and employed on engineering trains around Crewe, and restricted to a maximum speed of 35 mph. A major scheme was in progress to remodel the railways around Crewe railway station. After these duties finished, the four Class 40s continued in departmental service working ballast, freight and occasional parcels trains until finally being withdrawn in 1986/87.

Back to normal at Llandudno Junction with two Class 40's on shed! 97405  (40060) and 97407 (40012) had worked a trains of welded track to Gaerwen earlier in the day and were laying over before returning to Crewe on 25th July 1985....

post-6680-0-16589900-1515186689_thumb.jpg

Photo: Copyright Larry Goddard

• Like 11

Back to normal at Llandudno Junction with two Class 40's on shed! 97405  (40060) and 97407 (40012) had worked a trains of welded track to Gaerwen earlier in the day and were laying over before returning to Crewe on 25th July 1985....

Great photo, thanks for sharing it.