MRJ 256

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

This pompous waste of space still doesn't get it. Unfortunately there is a minority in 'railway modelling circles' that stereotypes our hobby in a negative manner.

This was the person that admonished me for posting some of my own snaps of Pendon. Sadly the world is inhabited by a few "don't you know who l am?" individuals. Hum ho.... lets return to normal now!

I wondered if it was the same person, John, but I couldn't find the old thread to check it. Certainly proves that some people are prone to rudeness and abrasive online behaviour regardless of the topic under discussion. I was rather enjoying that thread and wish it hadn't been derailed so quickly.

• RMweb Premium

I wondered if it was the same person, John, but I couldn't find the old thread to check it. Certainly proves that some people are prone to rudeness and abrasive online behaviour regardless of the topic under discussion. I was rather enjoying that thread and wish it hadn't been derailed so quickly.

Its back on the rails now, lets forget him and move on,  where did we get to?

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, in the spirit of positivity ... isn't that radio-controlled crane just spiffing? Whenever I'm improving in my modelling and feeling I might be edging towards something that wouldn't totally disgrace the pages of MRJ, along comes something like that!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I am surprised not to have seen more comments about the 2mm buildings. Absolutely stunning. And it took me a long time to work out the join between the backscene and the scenery. The join in the river is almost undetectable, and swinging the river behind the tree is just brilliant as a way of hiding it.. That "join" is something i am currently struggling with on my layout. But really, I would be delighted to be able to produce buildings that good in 4mm.

He has even modelled in detail parts of the layout it is almost impossible to see. I would have been very tempted to leave them blank (says he who modelled the wall of a house which is up against the backscene! But then there are only four buildings in all on Sarn (if you don't count huts). Shall I be so enthusiastic when I have to build two streets worth on Nantcwddu, I wonder.

However, this for me is what MRJ is all about - both seeing wonderful modelling and being challenged to up one's own level.

The only other magazine I have subscribed to in recent years is Narrow Gauge & Industrial etc. Though I have no wish to model either genre, that magazine has the same effect for me. And of course Roy Link's drawings are superb.

Jonathan David (for the avoidance of doubt)

• Like 5

This was the person that admonished me for posting some of my own snaps of Pendon. Sadly the world is inhabited by a few "don't you know who l am?" individuals.

It's somewhat comical when the don't you know who I am types hide behind an alias. When that person says who they are and most people are still thinking, who, never heard of you mate? it's hilarious!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am surprised not to have seen more comments about the 2mm buildings. Absolutely stunning. And it took me a long time to work out the join between the backscene and the scenery. The join in the river is almost undetectable, and swinging the river behind the tree is just brilliant as a way of hiding it.. That "join" is something i am currently struggling with on my layout. But really, I would be delighted to be able to produce buildings that good in 4mm.

He has even modelled in detail parts of the layout it is almost impossible to see. I would have been very tempted to leave them blank (says he who modelled the wall of a house which is up against the backscene! But then there are only four buildings in all on Sarn (if you don't count huts). Shall I be so enthusiastic when I have to build two streets worth on Nantcwddu, I wonder.

However, this for me is what MRJ is all about - both seeing wonderful modelling and being challenged to up one's own level.

The only other magazine I have subscribed to in recent years is Narrow Gauge & Industrial etc. Though I have no wish to model either genre, that magazine has the same effect for me. And of course Roy Link's drawings are superb.

Jonathan David (for the avoidance of doubt)

I've always thought that that layout captures the essence of the real Totnes absolutely perfectly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The 2mm buildings are indeed stunning. I really like the tonal uniformity of the buildings, scenery and backscene in both the Totnes and Ashburton models. Some modellers seem to be able to hit that naturalistic, muted look very convincingly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 2mm buildings are indeed stunning. I really like the tonal uniformity of the buildings, scenery and backscene in both the Totnes and Ashburton models. Some modellers seem to be able to hit that naturalistic, muted look very convincingly.

As I added in one of the captions, JBS is doing an article on backscene for MRJ. He uses a very restricted pallet for both his buildings and backscenes which hopefully he will go into in more detail in the article.

For those who haven't yet worked out where the join between layout and backscene is on the opening photograph in the article have a look at the vertical shot a couple of pages on which shows roughly the same scene - a surprisingly small area. As others have said, superb modelling.

Jerry

• Like 5

Agree about the 2mm buildings article, the Modelling on display is exquisite, it's difficult to judge from the photos just how tiny the models are!

With my job often giving me a few minutes or more on some of the stations where a Smiths is handily placed, I still go foraging for my copy. Whilst the web ones makes it less of a surprise as to when a new issue will be due out, it's still a bit of a surprise when one appears in one of the Smiths I frequent.

Cheers,

Andrew

I happened to have GW Echo to hand. A very careful read elicited a single reference that he'd built, the admittedly fine, model in the centre of the magazine. The model was built many years ago...

... on pages 18 & 19 to be annoyingly pedantic! The 7mm kit-built model of Achilles class 'Royal Sovereign' owes a lot of its magnificence to painting & lining by Alan Brackenborough who also (according to the Echo article) 'undertook the final assembly'.

Martin

• Like 3

The 7mm kit-built model of Achilles class 'Royal Sovereign' owes a lot of its magnificence to painting & lining by Alan Brackenborough who also (according to the Echo article) 'undertook the final assembly'.

Am I wrong to sit here having a good chuckle at everything that underpins that post?

• Like 7

I thought the scratchbuilt HR brake vans very inspiring, must have go. Loved Nettlebridge and the Taff Vale railmotor. And my current modelling is converting five little battery powered £1.99 toy train sets from Home Bargains into a south of France freelance rabbit warren layout. It'll look rubbish when I've done but I'm having such fun.

Incidentally the solution to the silvering of the transfer film is to apply a gloss coat prior to the decals and then a matt varnish coat. This provides a super smooth surface to place the decals on. I also use a decal softener (Micro Sol) to ensure the decal settles around rivets and into seams. Not my ideas but what plastic kit models have been doing for a while.

Incidentally kudos and support to Richard Ellis regarding his letter, his struggles and the help that his modelling has given him. As someone with a bipolar disorder I can concur with the benefits of a creative hobby doing the periods when the black dog comes a visiting and weighing you down.

• Like 4

Having got in from an early morning shift, took MRJ off the pile for another read and paid closer attention to John Burkett-Smith's 2mm scale buildings, my they are exquisite! Having stared at photos 1 and 2 for a good while and not been able to spot where the join between 3D Modelling and the backscene is, in the end, I turned to photo 13 to give me a clue.

Reading Chris Klein's excellent article on titivating the Victory, I was struck though that there isn't a mention that Chris is also half of Minerva Models who produce the model. In the past, I've seen similar articles in MRJ of the Lionheart Pannier and NG&I Review for the Ixion Manning Wardle, but in both cases written by people separate from the companies that produced the models.

Not wishing to take anything away from Chris' excellent Modelling which I've long admired, plus I am a happy Ixion & Minerva customer, just thought that a simple mention of the connection would prevent any suggestions of a conflict of interest in that the article could result in a few more Victory sales.

Cheers,

Andrew

I'm reminded of a story concerning a delay at an unnamed US airport

A rather self-important passenger stomped to the front of the queue demanding immediate and special attention from the young lady seated behind the counter.

She calmly and quietly, asked him to rejoin the queue, several times, as she was trying to deal with all the customers.

He said "but don't you know who I am?"

She picked up the PA and announced "there's a gentleman at counter xx who doesn't know who he is - can anyone help?"

He said, rather loudly, "F**K YOU!"

She said "You'd have to get to the back of the queue for that, too"

best

Simon

BTW, the new G0G forum insists on users using their membership numbers - it didn't prevent some self-important loudmouth making a prize ar$e of himself a few weeks back.

• Like 4

I'm reminded of a story concerning a delay at an unnamed US airport

A rather self-important passenger stomped to the front of the queue demanding immediate and special attention from the young lady seated behind the counter.

She calmly and quietly, asked him to rejoin the queue, several times, as she was trying to deal with all the customers.

He said "but don't you know who I am?"

She picked up the PA and announced "there's a gentleman at counter xx who doesn't know who he is - can anyone help?"

He said, rather loudly, "F**K YOU!"

She said "You'd have to get to the back of the queue for that, too"

best

Simon

BTW, the new G0G forum insists on users using their membership numbers - it didn't prevent some self-important loudmouth making a prize ar$e of himself a few weeks back.

Or the supposed story about Lord Beaverbrook phoning up the newsdesk on one of his newspapers demanding that some particular story was run (or not run).

Beaverbrook: Do you know who I am?

Newsdesk minion: Yes. Do you know who *I* am?

Beaverbrook: No! 

Minion puts phone down....

• Like 1

With technology, obsolescence is a potential issue. Think video cassettes, mini disc players etc. The emergence of better battery technology could render powered track potentially obsolete. My guess is DCC could fall by the wayside.

August's Railway Modeller has an article on MERG's CANBUS based system. Yet another standard to challenge the status quo. As long as we use low voltage d.c. motors, then 2 rail d.c. will be here for a very long time I think. I'm not bothered about sound (noise...?) either plus the cost factor means no DCC here either.

But CANBUS has nothing to do with DCC, It's a control system for controlling the layout's infra structure. The locomotive drive can be either DC or DCC - that's your choice.

The article states that MERG have integrated DCC with CBUS, such that DCC handsets can communicate with a DCC command station over CBUS. This is rather going odd topic now as this is not in MRJ. Probably best discussed elsewhere.

Ah yes you can run the MERG DCC system over the CBus but if you still want to use DC control then that's OK and many CBus layouts operate in that way.

The article states that MERG have integrated DCC with CBUS, such that DCC handsets can communicate with a DCC command station over CBUS. This is rather going odd topic now as this is not in MRJ. Probably best discussed elsewhere.

"The 1988 BMW 8 Series was the first production vehicle to feature a CAN-based multiplex wiring system." (Wikipedia)

Does that mean I could now drive a car from a DCC controller, or run my layout from a car?  :scratchhead: