Stubby47 makes - Halwill Station building

• RMweb Gold

Fair point Al.

Yes, it is a Slaters sheet, the full width only just being big enough.

Ian wants the building in a fairly good condition, little weathering and no signs of decay, so I thought the flat sheet, once painted, would be suitable.

I've used strips of tiles before, and found they can look like that, strips rather than individual tiles ( but that might well have been my u skilled handiwork). I've also laid individual tiles, but not on a roof this size...

Ultimately, it's Ian's call - paper strips or tiles can be laid on top of the Slaters sheet.

But, from 3 feet away, can we really see the difference ?

• RMweb Gold

Nice idea in theory, but fear not Stu - I've been there and done that. Paper shingles in strips on a quarter-inch scale roof. Despite the kit manufacturer printing parallel lines on the roof, so making alighnment fairly easy, the result has waves. The roof lends itself to more weathering than the walls, and some deft use of a dark wash will accentuate what is there. If, as time goes by, I find the effect isn't enough, we can consult further.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The primer is now dry, so the chimneys can be painted brick and the roof weathered.

post-7025-0-60797300-1501401355_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-32911700-1501401378_thumb.jpg

I need to add the doors and the toilet block roof, then it's on to the detailing.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Fair comment both of you, it's your model, Ian, and your specification.

I used the Slater's sheet just has Stu has done on the goods shed of Bakewell, and it looks perfectly presentable.

Cheers,

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Toilet block roof added. Main piece not yet fixed as I want to add the barge boards first.

post-7025-0-12332800-1501505163_thumb.jpg

(apologies for blurriness of the photo...)

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hopefully the final push today should see this building completed.

Preparing for painting are the 2nd porch ( in pieces) , the 1st porch, the two toilet block doors and the station master's house toilet vent.

post-7025-0-27003300-1504009015_thumb.jpg

A couple of views of the platform side.

post-7025-0-52807400-1504009035_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-35253500-1504009049_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking absolutely brilliant, Stu! Has exactly the right feel. First rate stuff, thankyou. 

Once the building has been installed and bedded down the environs can be constructed. Then a layout thread will start/restart. 

• Like 1