Dear Hattons: Time for a "proper" Autocoach please.

Seanem44

One thing to remember with pre-Nationalisation coaching stock is that most of these were withdrawn from BR 50-60 years ago. Therefore anyone with memory of having seen such coaches in use (outside preserved lines, of course) must be close to or of retirement age. (Yes, I know that matches the demographic of the hobby!). Anyone less than that age (or indeed who lived in a different part of the country at the time) will only know of such vehicles through photographs in books, magazines etc (if they are really keen they may have looked up some drawings somewhere but most won't). It's easy enough to look at a photo and say "That's a GWR autocoach" but much harder to know the exact diagram number (and even those who saw/rode on them as children probably wouldn't know the number either). Yes, there will be a minority of modellers who want the exact type of vehicle, but I'd venture most people aren't too fussed if the autocoach in their book has a slightly different arrangement of windows to the one on their layout.

I draw attention to the article by Tim Shackleton in the December 2017 issue of Hornby Magazine.  In it Tim shows how to improve the Airfix A28/A30 to make one of each with the aid of the Dart Castings detailing kit.

Chris

• Like 1

I draw attention to the article by Tim Shackleton in the December 2017 issue of Hornby Magazine. In it Tim shows how to improve the Airfix A28/A30 to make one of each with the aid of the Dart Castings detailing kit.

Chris

I read it as well. In fact, the issue featured the auto trailers prominently while highlighting a lack of “older” options.

While the dart casting look great, I do not have the ability or the time for a conversion. Being a career oriented mid thirties guy just doesn’t allow for the hour needed. Especially with buildings to build, etc. I have to pick and choose my battles. So for now the Hornby rtr will have to make do.