Dursley West - Cameo Layout

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

As you may have seen elsewhere, I've finally taken the plunge and committed to building a cameo layout for the cameo challenge.

My layout is based upon Dursley in Gloucestershire. I've adpated the track plan to fit into the scenic space (1200 x 450mm), but maintaining the station and rather nice station building and small goods yard. The station was surrounded by industrial buildings, predominantly those of RA Lister Co. Although I will model a version of the station building (likely to be compressed to fit the space and maintain suitable proportions), the other buildings will likely be based upon the real ones, with some possible additions from other similar buildings.

The track work will be from SMP point kits and flex track and DCC operated. I will be using MERG decoder board and servo board for the point operation along with my NCE PowerCab but operated using my phone / tablet.

No photos at the moment until I make some worthwhile progress.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Great look forward to this one as i live very close to the location. Maybe you could include the gallows bridge that still survives.

Keith in Dursley

Thanks Keith, but due to the best limited space, I can only get the the station and yard only.

• RMweb Gold

As a matter of interest what period are you looking at.

Keith

I'm pushing the history and imagining that the line stayed open until the early 80's!

Will likely focus on mid / late 70's with predominantly class 25 and box vans etc.

I could also look at an earlier period with the appropriate locomotives ....

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No progress this week on the layout due to a holiday away.

Planning to start track laying this week. Just need to decide whether to make some stretcher bars (preferred from asthetics) or use the supplied tie-bars (strong but not very asthetic).

Made the two buffer stops, which are from Lanarkshire Models (MR version) and primed ready to lay.

I'll add some photos when have some progress to show.

Also picked up a couple of photos at the RailWells show today.

• RMweb Gold

As a taster of the scene that I'm hoping to achieve, a photo taken by H.C. Casserley 12.07.56

Of course, with Blue BR stock in the main, but am considering late BR steam.

I've found a few more photos on the internet and in the OPC book (survey of Midland Railways in Gloucestershire).

post-7854-0-63876000-1502734100_thumb.jpg

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

All of the track on the scenic board has now been laid and waiting for the glue to dry before taking any photos. At least then I have something to show!

I've soldered the droppers to the rails as being laid and fed through holes marked and drilled before gluing the track section down. Now have a wires hanging below the board ready for trimming and soldering onto the two bus wires.

Will get the fiddle yard tracks laid before getting on the wiring as I will need to split the scenic board from the fiddle yard so that the scenic board can be laid on its back on the work bench to make the wiring easier.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A few photos taken on my phone, hence the poor quality, but gives a good indication of progress so far.

post-7854-0-77478700-1503338615_thumb.jpg

Overall view of layout from fiddle yard end before the cork was laid.

post-7854-0-22976600-1503338618_thumb.jpg

Part way through the track laying.

post-7854-0-99618800-1503338619_thumb.jpg

The station building as a mock up to give a good idea of space. This will sit into the platform, so currently at the correct height. Rough location for weigh bridge. This is a Severn Models kit assembled and painted to go onto Ruskin Lane, so I'll get another one and paint appropriate brick shades.

post-7854-0-49001400-1503338621_thumb.jpg

Entry from fiddle yard. The glue yet to dry, hence the white patches.

post-7854-0-98553100-1503338622_thumb.jpg

Factory backscene to get a feel what is required, but will be a low relief factory, with smaller / lower buildings in front.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much progress at the moment. Wiring to finish before can do much more.

However, finally ordered the servo board and decoder board (both kits) from MERG (recently joined). These will need soldering up and then configuring. Also ordered the servos and will make brackets to secure in place under the layout. Just need to get micro-switches to change the frog polarity.

• RMweb Premium

Not much progress at the moment. Wiring to finish before can do much more.

However, finally ordered the servo board and decoder board (both kits) from MERG (recently joined). These will need soldering up and then configuring. Also ordered the servos and will make brackets to secure in place under the layout. Just need to get micro-switches to change the frog polarity.

Brackets and micro-switches are available from MERG.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a considerable time passed since doing anything on the layout, due in part to lack of interest and in part being busy with other modelling projects, I've actually made good progress on the layout over the weekend.

Although I had entered into the Cameo Competition, I withdrew due to lack of progress and couldn't envisage reaching a sensible completion, the project was put on hold. However, I bought one of the latest kits from Severn Models of a yard workshop and thought that this would fit on well on the layout. As it turns out, I'm not sure where it looks right at the moment so may not actually get used!

However, this has given me some enthusiasm to resurect the layout. So, with a 'spare' weekend, I painted the track and ballasted. Also added a bit of weathering and blending colours.

I sprayed the sleepers / rail using Lifecolor sleeper grime and track colour prior to ballasting. I used fine and some extra fine ballast from Atwood Aggregates - actual stone ground from Meldon Quarry. When dried, additional colours were airbrushed and further track colour added to the sides of the rails, mainly on the sidings. The buffer stops being weathered using Lifecolor 'rust' paints and then washes using pigments from the same source. A few patches of 'grease' added where appropriate using Railmatch 'oily steel'.

A few phone photos attached, so not the best quality. The factory buildings on the backscene will not be used, I've just not taken them off yet. There are few patches / areas of the ballast to tidy-up.

post-7854-0-85733500-1531769450_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-46482900-1531769476_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-86942100-1531769501_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-49645600-1531769526_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...