'Tanner's Lane' (Sold)

georgeT

Thanks Don, l really loved the Q1s many of my mate's thought they were ugly, but l thought they looked great and so powerful, used to visit Guildford many times and you would see at least one on shed, great days, my Q1 is a bit on the big side for 'Tanner's Wharf' but what the heck ? Hahahaha

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Don, l really loved the Q1s many of my mate's thought they were ugly, but l thought they looked great and so powerful, used to visit Guildford many times and you would see at least one on shed, great days, my Q1 is a bit on the big side for 'Tanner's Wharf' but what the heck ? Hahahaha

Doris down the chip shop was a bit like a Q1, some of my mates thought she was ugly, but she was well built and could pull almost anything (including most me mates). :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

l think we all have a story like that Clive, l had a girlfriend who worked at a famous fried chicken outlet and l used to pick her up from work at 11:00pm most nights and we would share a bucket of chicken every time, didn't matter to me what she looked like, happy days Hahahahahahaha

Saw a couple of the new Dapol Jinty's running at the Club this evening, £150 for Dapol Club Members, lovely.

Hello Andy l was also looking at them at Wigan on Saturday, very nice indeed, wish l had waited...

• RMweb Premium

l think we all have a story like that Clive, l had a girlfriend who worked at a famous fried chicken outlet and l used to pick her up from work at 11:00pm most nights and we would share a bucket of chicken every time, didn't matter to me what she looked like, happy days Hahahahahahaha

Was she finger lickin' good?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Chasing your workshop and then remembered you had started a new thread.  Looks good and hope it goes well and of course hope to see it sometime.

Cheers, Peter

PS Hope your holiday means you now have a completely reinvigorated mojo.

Hello Peter, Amazing how two weeks cruising on the med can get rid of all the stress in your life, visiting lovely places and eating great food and a few pint's, l am now ready to get stuck in with 'Tanners Wharf' at last, have a good weekend with DR hope all goes well, don't forget to post some pictures...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Peter, Amazing how two weeks cruising on the med can get rid of all the stress in your life, visiting lovely places and eating great food and a few pint's, l am now ready to get stuck in with 'Tanners Wharf' at last, have a good weekend with DR hope all goes well, don't forget to post some pictures...

Sounds a great holiday.

Thanks for reminding me - I forgot my camera for set-up but have, as a result of reading your blog, found it and will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not you as well George? We got back yesterday from a similar adventure. Did you start from Dubrovnik on Thursday 5th October by any chance?

• Like 1

Not you as well George? We got back yesterday from a similar adventure. Did you start from Dubrovnik on Thursday 5th October by any chance?

Hello Ray, No we flew to Malta on the 5th to pick up P&O 'Oceana' for a two week cruise and finished back at Malta, we went to Dubrovnik on the 17th and it was very nice...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Only missed you by a couple of days then.

We had excellent weather better than usual for the time of year. First week along the Croatian coast, second week to Malta and southern Italy.

Must get back to doing some modelling now (after I've caught up with the 32 pages of posts on here!).

• Like 2

Having returned from a lovely two week holiday l now feel l am ready to do some work on 'TW'  so l have had a really good running session and feel the Peco points l have are just TOO big for the job, so it looks like l will have to build some new smaller ones, l have looked at a few pictures and they all seem to have much smaller points, and small locos mostly 0-4-0s and short 0-6-0s wheelbases.....Grrrrr

The Peco points are not as large as you might think. 6-feet is about 4 chains radius on the prototype, which is quite a sharp curve. The new Peco set-track points are close to 2-1/4 chains radius, which is really the domain of tight industrial spaces and dockyards.

Thanks for the info Martin l guess they look bigger on such small base boards ?

Are you serious George, after all the time we spent getting the layout right before you went away? See you Friday at the club.

Mark

NO mark i'm not serious (just thinking aloud) but need to do some modifications, will chat on friday....

The standard Medium Radius Peco Point is similar in size and geometry to the NSWGR standard #6 point which was used mostly in yards. It was more common to find #8.25, 10# or larger points on mainlines. We also had a standard #5 which was rarely used.

The Peco points seem "big" only because we're used to thinking in terms of HO/OO scale. They are roughly equivalent to the Peco Streamline medium-radius points.

Part of the reason that tighter curves and shorter track seem more realistic in model form is that we are looking at them from high above compared to standing next to the prototype lines. I have found that shortening to about 60-75% of prototype length produces a reasonably realistic model, allowing for the different perspectives.

Just to really put it in perspective, the typical viewing angles of a model railway are equivalent to being in a high-rise building on the prototype, whilst we normally view the prototype from the trackside, platform or from over bridges.