discussions about track

Junctionmad

Bill,

Peco gauge 0 fb rail is supposed to be Code 143 (.143").

Lenz state that their gauge 0 rail is 3.75mm high.

.143" = 3.6322 mm.

So that is a difference of 117.8micrometers?  But the Peco rep told me they were compatible!  I shall have to buy the Lenz track even though it costs three times as much.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Peco do a connector to allow their Code 124 Bullhead and their code 143 flat bottomed rail to be joined together.

Perhaps they ought to consider a further adaptor to connect their code 143 fb to the Lenz 3.75mm stuff.

Strange that Peco are using two different flat bottom sizes as they manufacture both their own and the Lenz stuff.

Economies of scale and all that.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what price retailers will be selling them at? RRP is £32.50 each (November RM review) but with FB code 75 finescale points at just £12.50 for identical geometry, that is a big premium to pay, especially when you multiply this up for a whole layout.

I look forward to people's comments and advice on the BH points when laying, motorising or mechanically operating them and using them. They certainly look great. My usual supplier is not taking any more orders for the moment, as he reckons he has oversold the initial supplies he expects already! I was too late this time. Looks like their success is assured.

I wonder what price retailers will be selling them at? RRP is £32.50 each (November RM review) but with FB code 75 finescale points at just £12.50 for identical geometry, that is a big premium to pay, especially when you multiply this up for a whole layout.

Think of it as akin to Hornby Railroad and the premium range......

• Like 4

Unfortunately, you are not comparing like for like.  Yes, they are both turnouts and perform the same function, but they are significantly different in appearance and construction methods.  If your chosen period and location model requires bullhead rail, then flat bottom is not an option.  

Of course if that's a compromise you are prepared to accept, then the savings, particularly on a large layout could be considerable.

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Picked up two from Alton Model Centre this afternoon, Paul has plenty in stock. Looking forward to constructing a module to see how they look when used. 

I for one hope they are successful and that Peco are confident enough to develop more in the range.

Godfrey

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

£26 at Hattons.

Cheers,

Keith

. Hattons are currently out of stock, all their initial supplies went to pre-order but they are taking back orders. Smaller retailers can supply, as evidenced above.

I’m looking forward to see how well they sit alongside my existing C&L trackwork.

Phil.

• Like 1

Picked up two from Alton Model Centre this afternoon, Paul has plenty in stock. Looking forward to constructing a module to see how they look when used. 

I for one hope they are successful and that Peco are confident enough to develop more in the range.

Godfrey

Although we all hope PECO will push on and expand the range, I hope there will be amendments to compensate for some immediate observations I noted this afternoon.

I have studied bullhead pointwork on many heritage railways. I have yet to see a point where the checkrails straddle less than five sleepers. The PECO checkrails only cover four giving a mickey mouse appearance.

The sleeper spacing is far too wide, especially in the area of the frog. On the prototype sleeper spacing is closer than on ordinary track to create greater stability for the pointwork as a whole unit. Also the sleepers are not at 90 degree rightangles to the straight stock rail creating an odd appearance.

My understanding from years ago is that PECO's large radius points roughly correspond to the sharpest pointwork in real life i.e. sharp siding points.

Personally I will continue to build my own pointwork.

But hopefully PECO might develop a super turnout for OO finescale affecionados....perhaps representing a C10 in real life with tighter sleeper spacing and checkrails covering at least five sleepers.

Its always exciting when a big name like PECO launch a new range or concept. The new point is nicely put together but personally I am disappointed at what seems to be lack of prototypical realism.

• RMweb Gold

I have yet to see a point where the checkrails straddle less than five sleepers. The PECO checkrails only cover four giving a mickey mouse appearance. The sleeper spacing is far too wide, especially in the area of the frog. On the prototype sleeper spacing is closer than on ordinary track to create greater stability for the pointwork as a whole unit. Also the sleepers are not at 90 degree rightangles to the straight stock rail creating an odd appearance.

Hi Clive,

All this has been discussed at great length in other topics. Resulting in the topics being locked because those who don't want to hear it kicked up such a fuss.

1. Check rails spanning 4 timbers are generally correct for crossing angles shorter than 1:6 . These crossings are actually 1:6, so should really have 5-timber check rails. The original pre-production samples had check rails spanning only 3 timbers, which did indeed look silly.

2. Skewed timbering is generally correct for pre-grouping practice (i.e. pre-1923), and also some more modern cases. For example where turnouts connect to diamond-crossings; and where the traffic over both roads is equally heavy, for example in double-junctions.

3. The timbers are definitely too far apart at the crossing, except for some old industrial turnouts, and in old yards and sidings. There is a theory that Peco have intentionally made the turnout look like that so as not to damage sales of the existing Code75 range for main-line use.

4. The switch section looks much better, and could be chopped off and used in other handbuilt track.

regards,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 2

Although we all hope PECO will push on and expand the range, I hope there will be amendments to compensate for some immediate observations I noted this afternoon.

I have studied bullhead pointwork on many heritage railways. I have yet to see a point where the checkrails straddle less than five sleepers. The PECO checkrails only cover four giving a mickey mouse appearance.

The sleeper spacing is far too wide, especially in the area of the frog. On the prototype sleeper spacing is closer than on ordinary track to create greater stability for the pointwork as a whole unit. Also the sleepers are not at 90 degree rightangles to the straight stock rail creating an odd appearance.

My understanding from years ago is that PECO's large radius points roughly correspond to the sharpest pointwork in real life i.e. sharp siding points.

But hopefully PECO might develop a super turnout for OO finescale affecionados....perhaps representing a C10 in real life with tighter sleeper spacing and checkrails covering at least five sleepers.

Its always exciting when a big name like PECO launch a new range or concept. The new point is nicely put together but personally I am disappointed at what seems to be lack of prototypical realism.

I have only seen the photos of both the flexible track and turnouts, they are so much better than what was on off before. Peco must be congratulated in making this product available

Its never going to please everyone, but those of us who build track also make compromises as some of the parts are just not available.

On a personal note I think this will give trackwork a much needed push towards better looking models and will give track building a boos and hopefully an increase in parts available

I doubt they'll be any " amendments ". Simply put those who want 100 % will build their own, those who just want a step change over the existing peco stuff will buy these. I'm in the second category.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I doubt they'll be any " amendments ". Simply put those who want 100 % will build their own, those who just want a step change over the existing peco stuff will buy these. I'm in the second category.

And some will do a bit of both... I’m still going to have to have a go at hand building that single outside slip and the double-left-hand 3-way turnout.

• Like 1

After months of speculation the proof of the pudding. 

I finally got to see some of the new Peco bullhead track on a complete layout at Wycrail today. This was on Chris Nevard's new Fountain Colliery & Brew St layouts and I was well impressed. It actually took me a long time to realise that it was Peco rather than handbuilt track .The points he used  are still Code 75 Streamline so I look forward to seeing medium radius BH points in the range.

post-6882-0-86109300-1509833846_thumb.jpg

Obviously Chris is a superb modeller which helps (he deservedly won the best layout cup today) but this track looked better than a lot of handbuilt EM that I've seen.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2