Welcome Back to the UK, Mr. Schneider!

rapidobill

Dunno what’s going on outside Rails, but they seem to have replaced half the road with an embankment made of broken bricks

Edit, ah I see, they’re replacing the retaining wall of the former Heeley station yard and widening the road https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/roads-and-pavements/bus-routes/Chesterfield%20Road%20Works%20Plan.pdf

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Gold

No, but a Tornado buzzed the pub as I got back today! Dambusters live!

617 squadron now equipped with the new F35 raptors - so be very very careful...fantastic photo as well..

post-1107-0-45673200-1511296523.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 3

Hi Bill,

If you fancy a little light trainspotting put "Peak Dale" into your satnav. It should take you to Peak Forest - about 25 minutes from Hathersage - where there are usually plenty of stone trains on the move...

Cheers

Ben A.

Hmmm... Have some time tomorrow I think... Thanks!

F35 lightning. Raptors are F22 and the UK would have to spend the entire 10 year national budget just to buy one.

According to Wikipedia* the F22 is just over a half as much again as an F35, so expensive, but not that expensive. Mind you, the ban on exports might present a problem

*yes, I know

• Like 1

Samples? What samples??

Some of you (I hope…) may have read about the… fun… that we have been having getting samples here. Again. It seems that his happens every year! Over the past few days I have been practicing new and exciting ways to scream at a shipping company. Now, I don’t want to name names, but they have three initials that begin and end with the same letter…

Anyway, we had two boxes of samples leave China independently. On box had the Locomotionmodels Stirling Singles and the other had some new Revolution products and some surprises of our own. Just two little boxes. Shipped seperately for safety. We gave them 10 days to make a 5 day trip. Good planning. NO pwabwem!

Ahem.

Both boxes ended up sunning themselves in Dubai as they both sat on… apparently… the only aircraft in this company’s fleet, which had broken down on the way. It took seven days to fix. Really. During which time, or so I was told, the shipping company (starts with a “T”) had no access to the aircraft and no way to offload the shipments onto another aircraft… were it to have one.... or to another carrier.

If there was a bright spot in all of this, it was that I had hand-carried some samples with me.  So had Gareth. Good plan!! At least we would have something to show, as a THIRD box with the Rail of Sheffield Dynamometer Car samples were coming by a… more reliable… shipping company. NO pwabwem!

Fast forward to noon or so today. After several late/early (3:00 AM+) e-mail exchanges between China, the UK and USA (ah, the wonders of a worldwide economy and global time zones) the one plane in the service of that company (ends with a “T”) somehow managed get its rubber band wound up enough to get airborne. The Stirling Single samples, the Revolution samples and the Surprise samples had all safely arrived at either my hotel or were waiting for Gareth to pick them up. FANTASTIC! Meanwhile, I was sitting in the Rails showroom, enjoying the guys’ banter and a cuppa, and wondering why our “by noon” delivery hadn’t shown up yet. BIG pwabwem!!

Well, the good news as of now (9:45 PM Thursday) is that those samples are now due TOMORROW morning. All the rest are here and in good shape, and we’re all looking forward to having what we and our partners wanted to display at Warley. What is the saying? “It’ll be alright on the night!”

So, off now to chat with the family at home who should be about full of turkey by now. Happy Thanksgiving to all my countrymen (and women)!

Hope to see many of the rest of you on the weekend! I’ll be the bald one quivering and drooling in the corner...

Edited by rapidobill
  • Like 6

Oh !  Happy belated (US) Thanksgiving (I'm sorry I thought you were Canadian).

Yeah we thought he was Canadian too.

He insists on doing Warley, which means he hasn't seen Thanksgiving dinner in four years.

Our Thanksgiving is in October. A much more sensible time.

-Jason

Yeah we thought he was Canadian too.

He insists on doing Warley, which means he hasn't seen Thanksgiving dinner in four years.

Our Thanksgiving is in October. A much more sensible time.

-Jason

We could make Bill a Canadian, though he may not appreciate that.  October may be a better time for Thanksgiving, but the Americans have nailed this one for scheduling.  Holiday on a Thursday, for anyone not so unfortunate to be in Retail and be crushed by the evil Black Friday, easy peasy 4 day weekend (which frankly is needed to recover from the Turkey Feast).

Looking forward to see what surprises Bill has up his sleeve at the show on the weekend while partaking in the particularly Canadian ritual of Grey Cup weekend in Ottawa.

Stephen