Coopercraft and Slaters et al

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been after a Mailcoach Monster with a view to 3D printing the alternative inside framed sides but to no avail. I also needed some of their American Bogies for a number of projects. However I have now given up with the bogies and developed my own 3D printed ones which I sell on Shapeways (see below) and https://www.shapeways.com/shops/stafford_road_model_works?=sem&=gp&=International_Search_Branded_Shapeways&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInLXRysO_2QIV5p3tCh0mpgHLEAAYASAAEgJeTPD_BwE

GWR 9' American Bogie Hornby Airfix Fit Mk2

GWR American Bogie  - Hornby/Airfix Fit

The only downside to this is that a 3D printed item is more expensive that the injection moulded version once the tooling costs have been recouped. Given the success of my 3D printed Siphons (to replace the unobtainable Ks kits - see below) I might have a go at a monster once I have finished my Siphon J.

GWR Diag O4 Low Roof 6 Door 6 wheel Siphon

GWR Low Roof 6 wheel Siphon

The only thing is I must give some priority to finishing my layout!

Edited by 81E
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently been advised by David White that they are

just sorting out the instructions and the wheels at the moment

And that in the near future the 4mm kits should be available again directly from Slaters.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 4

I have recently been advised by David White that they are

And that in the near future the 4mm kits should be available again directly from Slaters.

Fingers crossed.

This is good news.

The NER wagon kits, the GW clerestories and toplights, and the 6-wheel Midland Claytons are all kits I would dearly love the chance to purchase and have an immediate use for.

As far as I know they are from his stash.

Ok, thanks. 

If there are any other benevolent owners of unbuilt Slaters toplight kits reading this, and want to move them on to a good home, I can heartily endorse 53c as a good home for them!

And if anyone from Slaters is reading - I would buy about ten of the toplight kits alone....

CoY

• RMweb Premium

If it is, that might depress eBay values for a little while.

Well we've yet to see what prices will look like but thanks to the availability of some wagons through POWSides I'm already beginning to regret my Ebay spree of D299 etc. buying last spring, as I've not worked through everything I bought then yet!

Ok, thanks. 

If there are any other benevolent owners of unbuilt Slaters toplight kits reading this, and want to move them on to a good home, I can heartily endorse 53c as a good home for them!

And if anyone from Slaters is reading - I would buy about ten of the toplight kits alone....

CoY

The back-story is that I retired at the end of 2017. We live in a large 4 double bedroom house that SWMBO is adamant that we swap for a two/three bedroom bungalow in South West Wales. One of the precursors is that I have to down size my huge holdings of model railway items that do not suit either the Cardiff Valleys in EM or British Columbia Railway in HO. It’s a slow process on ebay!

Per Ardua ad astra, to use my late dad’s service arm motto. Tim T

• 5 weeks later...

Just sorting out the instructions. 

Quite happy to go without instructions. I treat my Slaters kits as a pile of bits to get mashed together with the excellent bits from MJT and Bill Bedford, so I never read them anyway! 

However, do those in-the-know know if the resurrected kits will be supplied with the transfer sheets? 

Edited by sharris

• RMweb Premium

Quite happy to go without instructions. I treat my Slaters kits as a pile of bits to get mashed together with the excellent bits from MJT and Bill Bedford, so I never read them anyway! 

Indeed, and many others with experience too, myself included. But the Midland wagon kits were quite good as entry-level kits too; I'd like to believe they could once again become the starting point for budding Midland enthusiasts, along with the Ratio carriage kits.

along with the Ratio carriage kits.

I find the Ratio bogies fiddly, and the instructions come in quite handy for those! (come to think of it, better eyes and thinner fingers would come in quite handy for those too!) 

The back-story is that I retired at the end of 2017. We live in a large 4 double bedroom house that SWMBO is adamant that we swap for a two/three bedroom bungalow in South West Wales.

Adamant should work two ways, can you not insist that the bungalow should have a large shed!

Regards