Birmingham Snow Hill in 7mm scale

kirtleypete

Like all of us Ian, I began with a train set on the carpet and spent my childhood building Airfix kits. As for the tea, I find that regular infusions of Real Ale are very helpful!

This is one of my earlier efforts! 

39965103315_a1e152587d.jpg

​Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 7

• 5 months later...

This superb diorama was on display at the 'Steam' museum's Swindon Railway Festival last weekend - very impressive!

Even better "in the flesh" and I spoke to the owner about the project which was extremely informative. 

In respecting his signage and request not to use any images in the public domain I have a few of my own close ups and I can vouch for the superb modelling.

• 1 month later...

I'm embarrassed to admit that until yesterday I was shamefully unaware of this extraordinary model. Luckily, enlightenment came in the latest edition of GW Echo (the GWSoc Journal). The photos in the 4 page feature took my breath away; it is stunning, especially as the photos featured Edwardian-period rolling stock (altho' the 1950s passengers were a little incongruous!). Needless to say I had find out more from RMWeb!

At the risk of seeming churlish the girders of the bridge over Great Charles Street seem to be missing; they were quite prominent as my photo from March 1969 shews:

post-1156-0-35507700-1541102454.jpg

Congratulations on outstanding work

Martin

Edited by martinT
  • Like 2

Theyb

I'm embarrassed to admit that until yesterday I was shamefully unaware of this extraordinary model. Luckily, enlightenment came in the latest edition of GW Echo (the GWSoc Journal). The photos in the 4 page feature took my breath away; it is stunning, especially as the photos featured Edwardian-period rolling stock (altho' the 1950s passengers were a little incongruous!). Needless to say I had find out more from RMWeb!

At the risk of seeming churlish the girders of the bridge over Great Charles Street seem to be missing; they were quite prominent as my photo from just before closure in March 1969 shews:

attachicon.gifPN6901-033-800px.jpg

Martin

Hi

They're still there today!

post-20610-0-07906400-1541105640_thumb.jpg

Bob

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of seeming churlish the girders of the bridge over Great Charles Street seem to be missing; they were quite prominent as my photo from just before closure in March 1969 shews:

attachicon.gifPN6901-033-800px.jpg

Martin

The girders were just to the north of the crossover between the middle roads. I think that crossover is the end of the model from the pictures above, and post #108

Thanks for all the nice comments folks. I was just glad to get it finished!!

The bridge girders would have been just off-scene ......originally there was talk of another board with the bridge on it, but we agreed that it wouldn't really add anything to the model so decided against it. 

There will be an article on the diorama in the next Gauge 0 Gazette, due in February, with some of my pictures. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Oh...my...word!  I was directed here after asking on Facebook if anyone had ever attempted Snow Hill, thinking maybe in 2mm or 4mm scale between tunnel mouth and Northwood St. Never did I expect someone to do the station buildings in 7mm!! I had considered just a waiting room but couldn't find drawings.

Outstanding piece of work!