Early Crests in the 60s

Seanem44

I’m building a late crested era layout as that’s what all my current stock is. Thinking of picking up a Farish Midland 4F. All that I can find are the early crested variants for sale. Would it have been possible to find them with their early crests into the sixties?

There must be photos of a few out there with early crests in the 1960s, it is just a rather laborious job trawling through internet sites, books and magazines trying to find a photo of one. There were quite a lot of them, so chances are high. 

I have seen (although of no use to you, of course) a photo of a loco with GWR on its side tanks in the early 1960s, so a few did manage to survive in earlier condition.

Mind you, given that they would have been given the late crest on works visits, the ones with early crests would have been in pretty poor external condition, with the crests hardly visible at all. Therefore, a good spray of weathering ought to give the right effect. 

Early crests were quite common in the 1960s, a couple of re built Scots were withdrawn in 1962/3 still with early emblems. If the tender did not require a repaint then even a works visit in say 1960 a loco could be outshopped with the early emblem still in place. Remember locos went through works based on mileage so if locos were not doing big mileage’s then the works visits could be extended and then if it was a light repair then it would not get a full repaint, usually just the smoke box being touched up.

There were enough examples so go ahead, anyway even if it was not prototypical Rule 1 applies!

David

Virtually everything built before changing the emblem in 1956/7. Mostly black shunters though.

The last BR diesels to carry that livery is easy. It was the two Class 01s that survived at Holyhead until 1979 - 1981. Withdrawn still in BR black with early crest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_01

Jason

• RMweb Gold

There must be photos of a few out there with early crests in the 1960s, it is just a rather laborious job trawling through internet sites, books and magazines trying to find a photo of one. There were quite a lot of them, so chances are high.

I have seen (although of no use to you, of course) a photo of a loco with GWR on its side tanks in the early 1960s, so a few did manage to survive in earlier condition.

There's a picture of 9710 on the web taken in 1960 still in shirtbutton livery which IIRC was last used c1942

• RMweb Gold

Not quite what the OP meant, but the 25kv AL series electrics carried aluminium unicycling lions until the general introduction of the arrows of indecision in 1966 and for some time afterwards for those not overhauled and repainted, as did D1000 Western Enterprise.  Some of the steam liveried Woodhead 1,500v DC electrics must have carried unicycling lions well into the 60s as well.

IIRC, and there is no guarantee that I do, boiler certificates were for 7 years, so a loco would need it's boiler taken out and replaced by a spare at the end of that period (it took longer to overhaul a boiler that the rest of the loco, so locos changed boilers to keep them in service), and this would be in theory the longest a loco would run without having the sort of overhaul that needed a full repaint, so a loco repainted just before a crest change in 1958 could still be carrying the old crest in 1965, by which time it would be probably up for withdrawal.  But towards the end of steam locos with low mileages in good mechanical condition might be given a spare boiler without a full repaint, and the old livery lasts a bit longer.  Overhauls were done on a mileage basis and boiler replacements on a time basis, so there is a possibility of overlap here.

Another possibility, especially during the late 50s and towards the very end of steam when cleaning was neglected, is that the new crest wore off revealing the previous one beneath it.  If you could see a crest underneath the clag at all, that is!

Slight correction: normal boiler life was five years. It could then be inspected and if acceptable the certificate could be extended by up to twelve months. After a further in-depth inspection, it could be extended by up to another twelve months, which is where the seven years comes from. But after that, it had to be changed or overhauled.

• RMweb Gold

So, the obvious question is......do we have photographic evidence of a loco or coach carrying the early BR lion next to, or in the same train as, one with BR arrows?

(Aside from during the preservation era, obviously).

• RMweb Premium

I thought the AC electrics and D1000 had the 'ferret & dartboard' style lion?

The EM1s had the unicycling lion while in black livery, but the other lion when in green/early blue - 76022 took the later totem to the scrapyard, late 70s/early 80s?

Edited by keefer