Kings Cross Suburban

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,  I don't know whether you're aware of this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-British-Railway-Station-Kings/dp/1911262017/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528535433&sr=1-1&keywords=the+great+british+railway+station+king%27s+cross

which contains a few pictures of the area you're talking about.  The pictures of the 'suburban' are only a very small part of the book, but it's very interesting in general!

• Like 1

Hi Pete,  I don't know whether you're aware of this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-British-Railway-Station-Kings/dp/1911262017/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528535433&sr=1-1&keywords=the+great+british+railway+station+king%27s+cross

which contains a few pictures of the area you're talking about.  The pictures of the 'suburban' are only a very small part of the book, but it's very interesting in general!

Thanks Steve. By strange coincidence, I ordered a copy of this book from Amazon a few days ago and I'm looking forward to receiving it soon. I had heard it was a good read!

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

If you happened to walk over the top of the Tunnel mouth as a Class 31 was passing under , you felt a lot of vibration.

Like that picture, awful lot going on in a small space.

manna

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Russ. When the ramp's done, I'll sort out the tunnel lining and then pose a Class 31 entering the platform to see what it all looks like. Happy so far though.

• Like 3

Skylight? From a Wills lineside kit for a greenhouse maybe?

Thanks Stewart. I gave this some thought last night. The original was an apex type, rather than flat and it also needs to be quite small.

post-17811-0-40921700-1529642696.jpg

The closest thing I could find, after half an hour browsing Google, was a pack of skylights by Auhagen. Dimensions are good so it won't look out of place. Some thin Tamiya masking tape and a quck spray of grime should make the glazing bars stand out. I've used quite a few Auhagen bits and pieces. They're relatively cheap and well-moulded. A bit under-scale (3.5mm/ft rather than 4mm/ft) but the range is worth a look.

post-17811-0-75187100-1529642707.jpg

• Like 5

Any links for those? I have similar thoughts for my (not-)Hunstanton concourse roof.

I usually get my Auhagen stuff from Golden Valley (link to the skylights below):

https://www.goldenvalleyhobbies.com/80203-auhagen-ho-skylights-10pc

The Auhagen website shows the full range, and there's an English language option:

https://auhagen.de/en/english_110.html?sid=hKl0LFDhgt8pX9MPP0sDnT53BHCA95ht

The vertical planks look good, the lintel looks a little out of place, looking like stone set into wood. I wonder if a simpler straight batten lintel would look a bit better?

Problem is, I used the stone lintels when making the "Mk1" brick version and they looked fine set into the brick. Then, without thinking, I added them to the planked Mk2 version. You're absolutely right, they don't sit too well with the planking. I think I can live with it, as this side won't be seen from the front. The front-facing side won't have windows, just a walk-through opening, so will look totally different.

Thanks for the Ratio link, btw - that's probably the closest to the original style, so I may rethink the Auhagen option.

Thinking more of it's content. . . . 

It is an excellent photo but yeah, it's definitely the content rather than the price that appeals to me too. Enlarged and saved to the hard drive for reference.

Thanks for the link.

Edited by Pete 75C

I haven't done anything to the layout lately as the arrival of a new toy is imminent, but the DPM sections have arrived courtesy of Rails of Sheffield. Well, some have arrived, another couple of packs are on back-order. When these eventually arrive, it will give me some flexibility as to how the low relief backdrop to the concourse will look. In the meantime, playing around with the sections gives me some idea of how it will look. Painted and weathered, it should do just fine. The large blank brick area at the top is where the overall roof will be anchored, so there is a reason for it.

post-17811-0-45749900-1530345289.jpg

• Like 11