Kings Cross Suburban

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

I did make a list of all Trip Cock fitted 31's I could identify/find in records, and came up with the following list.

TRIP-COCK  fitted  Class 31

"D" No.          Tops No.             DB fitted.

D5589                31401                        1971,  ETH fitted 1972.

D5590                31171                        1968.

D5592                31402                        1971,  ETH fitted 1972.

D5593                31173                        1969.

D5594                31174                        1974.

D5596                31403                        1972,  ETH fitted 1973.

D5602                31181                        1968.

D5604                31183                        After 1974 if ever.

D5605                31404                        1968,  ETH fitted 1972.

D5606                31405                        1972 + ETH fitted.

D5607                31184                        1974.

D5608                31185                        1968.

D5609                31186                        1968.

D5610                31187                        1969.

D5611                 31188                        1968.

D5612                31189                        1976.

D5613                31190                        1968.

D5614                31191                        1969.

D5615                31192                        1970.

D5622                31198                        1968.

D5623                31199                        1970.

D5625                31201                        1969.

D5626                31202                        1968.

D5627                31203                        1969.

D5639                31215                        After 1974 if ever.

D5640                31407                        1969,  ETH fitted 1972.

D5642                31217                        1968.

D5643                31218                        1969.

D5644                31219                        1968.

D5645                31220                        1973.

D5646                31408                        1968,  ETH fitted 1972.

D5648                31222                        1970.

D5649                31223                        1969.

D5650                31224                        1968.

D5651                31225                        1968.

D5652                31226                        1968.

D5653                31227                        1968.

D5676                31248                        After 1974 if ever.

D5677                31249                        1969.

Not all of the above resided at FP, but moved depots a bit. As far as I know non other than the above where ever fitted, but a trip cock fitted 31 could be identified, even after removal, by the inset in the buffer beam skirt under the D/A's side window at the front, as in the photo below.

attachicon.gifA281A-007.jpg

With regards to Clive Mortimore's list of locos, class 23 were fitted with trip cocks, and so could travel on the widened lines without restriction, except for the fact nobody lliked them down there on account of the exhaust fumes. In the photo below the connecting vacuum pipe to the trip cock mechanism, along with its isolating handle in the horizontal position, can be seen to the left of the vacuum pipe on D5901.

attachicon.gifD5901, buffer beam detail..jpg

Paul J.

Thanks Paul

I was talking to a Hitchin driver (or ex-driver) about Baby Deltics when he was viewing Pig Lane, I mentioned seeing one coming out of Hotel Curve with loads of exhaust and what appeared to be flames in the smoke as well. It was at that point he told me that it shouldn't have been on the Widened Lines as they had no LT trip cock. He then went on to explain the LT trip-cock and where the change over handle was on the secondman's side of the cab on a 31 as seen of this photo of D5675 at York.

• Like 1

:offtopic: slightly.

But mention of skinhead 31/4's always brings to mind 31 444, which was a south transpennine regular, this was coincidentally D5555 - useless fact number 31 444 in a series of two! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul

I was talking to a Hitchin driver (or ex-driver) about Baby Deltics when he was viewing Pig Lane, I mentioned seeing one coming out of Hotel Curve with loads of exhaust and what appeared to be flames in the smoke as well. It was at that point he told me that it shouldn't have been on the Widened Lines as they had no LT trip cock. He then went on to explain the LT trip-cock and where the change over handle was on the secondman's side of the cab on a 31 as seen of this photo of D5675 at York.

Is that a Glasgow - Colchester as discussed hereabouts?

Mike.

Clive’s post #154 regarding headcode disc 31’s being rare at KX got me thinking. Whilst there were far fewer around than the headcode variety I do recall seeing them, I lived at WGC 20 miles north and saw trains across Welwyn viaduct pretty much every day, and WGC station 3-4 times a week. So, I had a look in my 1975 combine volume and one of the disc 31’s is underlined, 31125 D5543. This would have been seen either at WGC or between Knebworth and the cross. There’s a very slim chance it could have been seen on the Hertford loop line, but unlikely. The reason I’m sure of this is I didn’t ‘spot’ and rarely went ‘abroad’ to watch trains so I wouldn’t have seen it anywhere else, and my combine stayed at home. I feel they were more common than Clive thinks they may have been, but were definitely outnumbered significantly by their headcode fitted siblings. Wish I’d taken more notes!

Things were a lot tighter in green days - even with full yellow ends they slackened off a bit. So these lists really refer more to "proper" green days.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Things were a lot tighter in green days - even with full yellow ends they slackened off a bit. So these lists really refer more to "proper" green days.

Stewart

I’d concur with that, I think Clive’s emphasising the ‘widened lines’ element too much in his reply to my comments. I was really taking notice around the late 70’s and early 80’s, by the time I’d started daily commuting into KX the widened lines were gone so I assume the trip cock requirements were null and void for KX, it was all electrified out to Hitchin. The skinheads I noted were primarily ecs movements and parcels traffic, possibly the same locomotive/s that CpBacon recalls if he’s referring to the 82-90 period. I think there was one at FP in some sort of departmental use which was stabled near to the breakdown train. Somewhere I have a disc of FP southern ECML diesel locomotives from the green-blue Dxxxx/TOPS era, that may throw up some gems.

• RMweb Premium

I’d concur with that, I think Clive’s emphasising the ‘widened lines’ element too much in his reply to my comments. I was really taking notice around the late 70’s and early 80’s, by the time I’d started daily commuting into KX the widened lines were gone so I assume the trip cock requirements were null and void for KX, it was all electrified out to Hitchin. The skinheads I noted were primarily ecs movements and parcels traffic, possibly the same locomotive/s that CpBacon recalls if he’s referring to the 82-90 period. I think there was one at FP in some sort of departmental use which was stabled near to the breakdown train. Somewhere I have a disc of FP southern ECML diesel locomotives from the green-blue Dxxxx/TOPS era, that may throw up some gems.

Hi Paul

I am being as the main feature of the layout is Platform 16 (number 14 on renumbering) and would have been out of use by the time you started to commute. I was trying to help Pete with his layout. Adding information relating to a period when his chosen layout would have looked like in the attached photo is interesting but can be misleading.

post-16423-0-56371900-1527021155_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The skinheads I noted were primarily ecs movements and parcels traffic, possibly the same locomotive/s that CpBacon recalls if he’s referring to the 82-90 period. I think there was one at FP in some sort of departmental use which was stabled near to the breakdown train. 

I was thinking primarily of spotting at Sandy from about 73, most spotting notes I have now are from about 75-79 so they were in this period.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

I am being as the main feature of the layout is Platform 16 (number 14 on renumbering) and would have been out of use by the time you started to commute. I was trying to help Pete with his layout. Adding information relating to a period when his chosen layout would have looked like in the attached photo is interesting but can be misleading.

I doubt Pete or anyone is finding my posts misleading. Regarding timescales Pete wrote this early in this thread

I'm thinking mainly 1970s, but I'm happy to stretch back to 1960 to allow the occasional appearance of a BRCW Type 2 in green without yellow ends. Kernow are also releasing Brush Type 2 D5579 in golden ochre livery as a limited edition which looks to be a stunning model and deserves a place. I may push forward to the 1980s and assume the suburban side remained open.

And this:

Skinheads. You gotta love 'em. I accept that they may have been far more common working out of Liverpool Street, but I'm afraid I like them too much not to have one for the layout.

Sadly (depending on your point of view), a purist I am not. I'd like to try and keep things kind of believable, but I'm not averse to running stuff just 'cos I like it!

I can relate to that last sentence as that's pretty similar to my outlook, and one I've been very much bearing in mind with my replies to this topic.

• Like 2

I was thinking primarily of spotting at Sandy from about 73, most spotting notes I have now are from about 75-79 so they were in this period.

G'Day Folks.

If that was your spotting era, you probably waved at me ?

manna

• RMweb Premium

Clive’s post #154 regarding headcode disc 31’s being rare at KX got me thinking. Whilst there were far fewer around than the headcode variety I do recall seeing them, I lived at WGC 20 miles north and saw trains across Welwyn viaduct pretty much every day, and WGC station 3-4 times a week. So, I had a look in my 1975 combine volume and one of the disc 31’s is underlined, 31125 D5543. This would have been seen either at WGC or between Knebworth and the cross. There’s a very slim chance it could have been seen on the Hertford loop line, but unlikely. The reason I’m sure of this is I didn’t ‘spot’ and rarely went ‘abroad’ to watch trains so I wouldn’t have seen it anywhere else, and my combine stayed at home. I feel they were more common than Clive thinks they may have been, but were definitely outnumbered significantly by their headcode fitted siblings. Wish I’d taken more notes!

You seem to want to have a go at me in this thread. All I said was disc headcode Brush Type 2s were rare, not never seen but you latched on to me saying rare like a terrier does to a rat.

Morning guys. Day 3 of my holiday. I promised myself I wouldn't take my tablet and I certainly wouldn't be browsing RMWeb, but hey, I'm waiting for the coffee to brew and yes, I'm weak...!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone and that I welcome all factual input, banter and even off-topic nonsense. This model railway lark is supposed to be fun, or why would we bother? I don't want anyone to fall out on my account and Clive, you certainly don't owe me an apology!

Coffee's ready, sun's up, see you next week.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Now if you want the dimensions of those shunt banners, let me know, my mate at the other end of the village has one in his garden....

Andy G

• Like 2

Those photos bring back so many memories. But that is the first one I have ever seen of a fuel tanker being placed (or removed) from the re-fuelling point. Never saw that happen in my few dozen visits as a young teen!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Those photos bring back so many memories. But that is the first one I have ever seen of a fuel tanker being placed (or removed) from the re-fuelling point. Never saw that happen in my few dozen visits as a young teen!

It's got the shunt signal to back out of the SP, and if you think about, the singular fuel tank is on the wrong end of the locomotive to be any use for the SP.

My conjecture is that this is the fuel for the boiler on platform 1, the Brush 2 will run out to somewher north of the station throat to a suitable crossover and propel the wagon back into platform1.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Or it could be an empty loco fuel tank which the loco has run round in the yard, or had shunted onto the London end of it, and it is reversing out of the yard prior to setting off North with it.

• RMweb Gold

Or it could be an empty loco fuel tank which the loco has run round in the yard, or had shunted onto the London end of it, and it is reversing out of the yard prior to setting off North with it.

I don't believe the wagons went in and out singly, the full rake was swapped sometime around one o clock in the morning by a jocko tripping them in.

Mike.

• Like 1