Colas Class 70

RateTheFreight

It's not strange to take it to ab FGW depot at all. Perhaps that's where GE arranged for their engineers to work on it? 803 was repaired at Laira, another FGW depot. Don't forget, at that period of time, Colas didn't have any other 70s so their fitters probably weren't too savvy on them at the time. Also the first modification to a production 70, GE may well have wanted to do it themselves, of at least be closely linked. The Freightliner ones were modified at Brush, not Leeds or Southampton

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

I presume the inverted OHL flashes on the Colas roof are prototypical.

If so, why are they like this? Surely once you are standing on the roof looking down, you will already have contacted the wires!!!

The FL locos have the roof flashes the right way up!

Edited by G-BOAF

Are they OHL flashes or warnings about the kit behind the panels? 70s have lots of those stickers, warnings about moving equipment, pinch points, temperatures, batteries etc

Jo

that's a good point. Hadn't thought of that. In which case upside down warning whoever is on the roof about to open the hatch is useful.

BUT that still doesn't explain why FL have them one way up and Colas the other way up...!

• 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Hattons currently have 6 of these at £156 please buy them before my self discipline breaks!

You just indirectly emptied my wallet for £160 incl. delivery...thanks :good:

I was after one of these to go with Revolutions IWA Timber carriers when they get released and was hoping Bachmann would do another run of the Colas 70 and was surprised by your post saying that Hattons have 6 of them...well 5 now.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, classy52 said:

You just indirectly emptied my wallet for £160 incl. delivery...thanks :good:

I was after one of these to go with Revolutions IWA Timber carriers when they get released and was hoping Bachmann would do another run of the Colas 70 and was surprised by your post saying that Hattons have 6 of them...well 5 now.

I believe it was 8 to start with!

• RMweb Gold

Wonder how to go about claiming my commission- all gone now yes I gave in! To be fair though I reasoned that the next run would be more expensive than these so it was (probably) a bargain!

Edited by Markwj
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Markwj said:

Wonder how to go about claiming my commission- all gone now yes I gave in! To be fair though I reasoned that the next run would be more expensive than these so it was (probably) a bargain!

One sold for £240 on ebay last month, I’d already pushed it off my radar at that price, but your link gave me a chance.

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is interested, I have an extremely badly weathered Colas 70 body shell available. It would require TLC and probably renumbering as some of the factory logos have started to erase from an earlier bothched attempt to sort it out.  I'm guessing it would fit any class 70 chassis.

IMG_2657.jpg.4a4984158f0c7928153f5a9e1928b20e.jpgIMG_2658.jpg.67d9b8e6403513ad45c191a5f1453b7a.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You clearly never read the Ebay Madness thread - that's excellent weathering compared to some of the "proffesional" standards seen on there!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

42 minutes ago, Mooresby said:

If anyone is interested, I have an extremely badly weathered Colas 70 body shell available. It would require TLC and probably renumbering as some of the factory logos have started to erase from an earlier bothched attempt to sort it out.  I'm guessing it would fit any class 70 chassis.

IMG_2657.jpg.4a4984158f0c7928153f5a9e1928b20e.jpgIMG_2658.jpg.67d9b8e6403513ad45c191a5f1453b7a.jpg

I don’t think it’s a bad attempt at weathering either. In the early days of Colas, they seemed to keep their locos very clean but that weathering is spot on for today’s colas fleet. 

5 hours ago, Mooresby said:

@TomScrut

32 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Thanks but unfortunately I want a pristine one (nothing I have is weathered at the moment). Also would need to find a chassis!

How desperate are you for one? Olivias trains look like they have one in stock. Bit pricey but no worse than inflated ebay prices.

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Bachmann-diesel/Bachmann-class-70/Bachmann-31-591-class-70-70805-with-air-intake-modifications-in-colas-livery/

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

How desperate are you for one? Olivias trains look like they have one in stock. Bit pricey but no worse than inflated ebay prices.

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Bachmann-diesel/Bachmann-class-70/Bachmann-31-591-class-70-70805-with-air-intake-modifications-in-colas-livery/

Thanks, but I aren't entirely sure they do, rumour has it Hattons have bought a load of stock from them or something. It is RRP so not really inflated in some respects. Somebody else (can't remember where else I found one, edit here it is https://www.malcsmodels.co.uk/model-railway/product-11719) had one at RRP too.

£156 is about as dear as I'd have gone TBH.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if it is purely a coincidence that there have been 2 Colas Class 70s appear on eBay the first £1 selling fee promotion after a load appeared on Hattons? One starting at £170 and the other £245 or best offer.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I wonder if it is purely a coincidence that there have been 2 Colas Class 70s appear on eBay the first £1 selling fee promotion after a load appeared on Hattons? One starting at £170 and the other £245 or best offer.

Thats nothing, ebay history shows 58x Hornby Rocket (R3809) sold so far.. cheapest was £50 above rrp, up to £200 (double) rrp, it only came out in January.

£170 is less than rrp ?

Edited by adb968008

39 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thats nothing, ebay history shows 58x Hornby Rocket (R3809) sold so far.. cheapest was £50 above rrp, up to £200 (double) rrp, it only came out in January.

£170 is less than rrp ?

£170 is the RRP on a 70 IIRC. That's starting bid. I just thought given there was a few released to market whether some are off straight on eBay first time the fees are low.

To be honest, fair play to them if they have the buyers and it is a case of having bought a loco and never used it and it happened to be popular. It's just annoying to those who want one! TPE 68 last year prime example but at least Dapol listened and are doing more. The 70s (and 68s as above) were readily available in shops for a while I just was out of the hobby then.

On the other hand I do think it's a bit tight with limited editions like Rocket where they sold out more or less instantly and then went straight on eBay. Basically like ticket touts.