Gutters

I've been doing OK so far with my first scratchbuilt building, but I'm about to grind to a halt with the gutters.

This is 4mm/ft, plastic card, ordinary pitched roof old factory building, and I have the fascia boards in the right place. I also have the roof halves cut with what looks to be about the right amount of overhang to align with my Plastruct 2mm half-round "gutters". But how on earth do I actually go about sticking the edge of half-round plastic strip to the fascias so that it's at the correct height for the roof overhang (which I am still able to adjust if I have to)?

Am I perhaps making this more difficult than it needs to be by using 2mm half-round? And if I am, what should I be using instead? Gutter length is 240mm.

• RMweb Gold

A bit late now, but if you made the soffit wider you could have made a half round groove at the edge and rounded off the outside lip.

I have, (from some manufacturer somewhere), cast gutter clips, you could make your own out of 0.2/0.25/0,3mm wire and do it the prototypical way?

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If working in 4mm, it's very difficult to make prototypical representations of such clips without them ending up wildly overscale.

I'd go for the "representational" approach using pieces of wire or narrow metal strip, shaped around, and attached to, the underside of your gutter, with prongs left on the inner ends to be glued into holes in the building.

Right size but wrong shape is far less noticeable than right shape and way too big. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I did try looking at the Wills ss46, but of course the picture on Peco's site is no use whatsoever. They still seem to think that you can just pop round to your friendly local model shop to check products out like we used to when there used to be friendly local model shops.

I can't really picture how they fit, and there seems to be no clue online as to what length of gutter you get per kit, so alas that's a non-starter for now ...

I did try looking at the Wills ss46, but of course the picture on Peco's site is no use whatsoever. They still seem to think that you can just pop round to your friendly local model shop to check products out like we used to when there used to be friendly local model shops.I can't really picture how they fit, and there seems to be no clue online as to what length of gutter you get per kit, so alas that's a non-starter for now ...

I may have some in my scrapbox, I'll check when I get home on Sunday and if so send you a photo.

You might want to look at the Ratio 538 Gutters and Downspouts.  Each gutter is about 137 mm long, but I had no problem cementing two together to get the length I needed.  The gutters have little prongs on them, so you can drill small holes in the walls and mount them with a bit of glue.  I used them on a Gaugemaster Fordhampton TMD, and they worked very nicely.  Attached is a photo of what comes in the pack.Ratio 538 pdf.pdf

Hi, keep your eye on umbrellas, many of them use a square channel section for the arms, I found one that gave me around 6 metres of usable guttering, having rescued it from the bin after a typical inversion.

They are worth looking at.

Kevan 

Plastruct have 1/16th inch wide channel setions which are about the right size for 4mm gutters. They are rectangular in section so the back has a flat surface to glue against the facia and the front can be chamfered with a file/sandpaper to give the rounded effect.

post-22541-0-46365000-1528419369.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks gents. This is all a great help :)

Just one more solution.....

I make gutter brackets from Peco track pins. A 90 degree bend about 1mm below the top, and cut the head off. Push pin through a hole in wall and glue gutter on top.

Plastruct have 1/16th inch wide channel setions which are about the right size for 4mm gutters.

I couldn't find those anywhere online, but Evergreen do various sizes of U-channel, one of which looks to be the same, so one pack's now on its way to me from Eileen's (the only UK supplier I could fiond which actually has it in stock!).

Edited by spikey