APT-P Photographs

Hi Jamie.

Have a look at this layout plan, this was how they were originally set for smoking and non smoking. 99% of the "no smoking" stickers were put in it when the no smoking inside regs came out a few years back

Hi Brian

Its a bit distorted when I try and blow it up bigger, is the Yellow Smoking and the White None-Smoking...? and what would be the RED Coaches...?

Have you been busy this week at Crewe Heritage Centre...? Any further progress on the Power Car...?

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

Hi Brian

Its a bit distorted when I try and blow it up bigger, is the Yellow Smoking and the White None-Smoking...? and what would be the RED Coaches...?

Have you been busy this week at Crewe Heritage Centre...? Any further progress on the Power Car...?

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

Basically the yellow is 1st class, white 2nd & red the dining car. It reads from the top, smoker, non smoker, buffet car (smoker ) ,1st class non smoker, 1st class smoker then power car and the same the other side. I have a better version of it but it won't let me upload because of the type of file it is.

Yes the power car is now in primer ready for it's 1st lot of undercoat next week....Hooray lol

Brian

• Like 1

Hi all.

Bit of a long shot is this, but i'm after any people who worked on the APT-P, or maybe APT - E project. I'm in the final stages of organising an event in August to celebrate the APT's 30th anniversary of preservation and i'm after as many of the original team, whether it be builders, designers, commissioning, testing, etc to please contact as me to see if they're interested in coming along on any of the 4 days. The event runs from the 2nd to the 5th August, the best days to appear, so to speak, would be Saturday or Sunday, (4th -5th ). So over to you lot and pm me on here. 

Cheers all. 

Brian.

Hi all.

Bit of a long shot is this, but i'm after any people who worked on the APT-P, or maybe APT - E project. I'm in the final stages of organising an event in August to celebrate the APT's 30th anniversary of preservation and i'm after as many of the original team, whether it be builders, designers, commissioning, testing, etc to please contact as me to see if they're interested in coming along on any of the 4 days. The event runs from the 2nd to the 5th August, the best days to appear, so to speak, would be Saturday or Sunday, (4th -5th ). So over to you lot and pm me on here. 

Cheers all. 

Brian.

Great Brian

Lets hope ones come forward who are willing to help you out Brian, there must be few out there and it should be a great week and weekend.

Will MR_APT have any one he may know in his contacts from back in the day... that he can call on to possibly help you out...?

I need plenty of Camera storage cards to store extra photos to or may have to bring my laptop to download the photos off the cards, but 4x 32GB should be enough.

Regards

Jamie

I'll try and be there on the Saturday and the Sunday, but most of my contacts are APT-E period guys, not APT-P guys I'm afraid. 

Brian's persuaded me to bring my 'Little Blue Box' as well.................  :D

• Like 3

Hi all.Getting there, but christ it was that hot i couldn't touch the bodywork as it burn't my hand, had to put a glove on ! The undercoat was a 16 - 24 hr drying time, but was dried in 15 mins ! lol. I also did my version of a Banksy :)

post-6042-0-05316500-1530272094_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-05548500-1530272110_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-43604200-1530272123_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-03640600-1530272149_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-70411500-1530272161_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Brian

Great progress, nice to see it slowly changing its appearance back in to the APT-P we all know and love.

Keep up the great work Brian, we may not be there to help but I'm sure we are all behind your hard work along with blood, sweat and tears, oh and burn marks lol

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi Brian

Great progress, nice to see it slowly changing its appearance back in to the APT-P we all know and love.

Keep up the great work Brian, we may not be there to help but I'm sure we are all behind your hard work along with blood, sweat and tears, oh and burn marks lol

Regards

Jamie

Cheers Jamie.

Looks a professional job dude! It now looks loved and if I might say the design was years before it’s time, very modern and purposeful looking.

Tilting trains - yes - but power cars in the middle dividing the train into two and meaning doubling crewing the train - that would never happen now would it....................

• Like 2

Hi all.

If anyone wants any of these now's your last chance for quite a while, i won't be having anymore printed in the foreseeable future. Pm me if your interested, all are full size and correct in every detail.. Cheers

post-6042-0-04604500-1530638930_thumb.png

Edited by craigy
  • Like 1

Hi all.

If anyone wants any of these now's your last chance for quite a while, i won't be having anymore printed in the foreseeable future. Pm me if your interested, all are full size and correct in every detail.. Cheers

Hi Brian

Those look smart mate, making the APT-P look like new again...

Regards

Jamie

Hi all.

Quick update on the power car. This is what it looks like now, by end of the week the light grey will be on and the white stripe aswell, followed by the other end and door painted. This then leaves for next week the dark grey and red stripe to do follwed by the bogies and small details.

Brian

post-6042-0-32115500-1531207383_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-95713800-1531207396_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-09057600-1531207410_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi all.

Quick update on the power car. This is what it looks like now, by end of the week the light grey will be on and the white stripe aswell, followed by the other end and door painted. This then leaves for next week the dark grey and red stripe to do follwed by the bogies and small details.

Brian

Wow!!! Thats fantastic!! good progress from the scanning day!

Hi all.

Cheers all. 

Brian.

Sometimes a long shot finds its mark. I worked on the APT project for 11 years and was heavily involved with the design of trailer bogies, friction brakes and pantograph anti-tilt mechanism. I'd be happy to come along some time and talk APT. Is there a way I can contact you outwith this forum to discuss arrangements?

Sometimes a long shot finds its mark. I worked on the APT project for 11 years and was heavily involved with the design of trailer bogies, friction brakes and pantograph anti-tilt mechanism. I'd be happy to come along some time and talk APT. Is there a way I can contact you outwith this forum to discuss arrangements?

Excellent news to see you at the show 4474, you can PM Brian or Private Message Brian 4474, if you see just below his avatar photo, there is a small envelope, if you hover your mouse over it, it says 'Send Message' click on that and then whatever you write inside the message box that comes up will only be seen between Brian and yourself, no one else will see what you write apart from possible Moderators of the Website.... which is normal. 

Look forward to seeing you at the open day, what day will you be attending if you do go...4474...? it may make me change my day to the same.

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

Hi all.

Brian

Excellent job Brian, huge well done to you and the team.

See you soon mate.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi All (Transferred from ‘OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement’)

Diagrams normally help....

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre 02June2018 (52) Mod1.jpg

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre 02June2018 (50) Mod1.jpg

These may help explain how the pantograph works both Normally and in Tilt Mode

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre 02June2018 (51) Mod1.jpg

Regards

Jamie

Two points about the pantograph anti-tilt mechanism.

Firstly, when the power car was not tilting the pantograph tracked the wire more accurately than a conventional loco because when the body moved laterally the pantograph rocked in the opposite direction cancelling out some of the sideways movement between pan. head and wire. Contrast this with the roof-mounted pantograph on a conventional loco. The pantograph moved laterally the same distance as the body and if the body rolled the pantograph moved further still relative to the wire.

Secondly the vertical holes through the body that accommodated the stabilising rods were used as ducts through which cooling air for the traction motors could be drawn. This was a fortunate by-product of the design because it simplified the problem of how to get cooling air into the traction motors at four locations. As with several areas, air management in the power car was a new problem for loco designers as all previous locos had the traction motors on the bogies.

• Like 1