New member and a Soo Line switching shelf

nkark

• RMweb Gold

Very, very nice. Well lit and some lovely subtle weathering, to take away the common plastic look of the North American loco models. 

Inspirational and a joy to see. Thanks for sharing!

Best

Scott

Great work Noah.

There's a story behind the 2381. It was Soo's only SD before they purchased the SD-40/-2s and was purchased to replace the 2-10-0 which shoved ore jimmies up the Ashland , Wi. ore dock. When I worked for the Soo in the 70-80s during a period in the power board (handled system distribution of locomotives, cabooses, unit trains, special moves, derailments, etc.) the 2381 usually was left up in Superior, WI. to push road freights out of the yard on their way to St. Point and Chicago. One young officer who also started in the power board took a liking to the 2381 and when he went out in the field as a trainmaster it followed him where ever he was assigned:Superior WI., Glendwood, MN., Enderlin,ND. Minneaplois, MN., etc.. After a while he left the Soo to work for other railroads, like myself easing in retirement a couple of years ago. The Soo Line railroad was a great place to learn operations as an officer because many officers were much older and while amused by us young guy's interest (railfan) in the company, generously, tolerated  and encouraged us.

Barry  

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Thank you Barry for the 2381 insight. I was drawn to it as a modelling subject due to its uniqueness on the Soo as well as some of its features(single small fuel tank, single rear headlight, walkway over rear fan)

It is a modified Proto 2000 model with an Atlas cab and a Kato motor.

The majority of my relatives that were in Soo employ worked out of CF Yard.

Noah

• Like 2

I did an N scale model of the 2381 many years ago; just a repaint really, but I never photographed it, & forget what make it was, now.

Interestingly in his book "The Little Jewel", the designer of the white & red livery Wallace Abbey commented that he thought that it worked best of all on 2381, as it had deeper sideframes than other locos, so the red band was more prominent than on Geeps etc, & more balanced as a result. The bit he was least satisfied with was the small white 'Soo Line' on the noses of the F-Units. It was ok on Geeps but 'lost in a sea of red' on the Covered Wagons.

• Like 1

Nice Soo Line layout, Noah! Keep up the good work! What scale is this layout and what are the dimensions(length and width)?

Wendell

Idaho, USA

The trackplan posted states size 80" x 16", & Code 83 track. I'd say it's HO Scale ;) ...which I'm very glad of, as if it was O Scale I'd be even more jealous!! :jester:

Hi Noah

That's a really nice layout. I like the way the road crossing is at an oblique angle as it creates a nice impression of space. Too many of us (me included) put the crossings at ninety degrees to the track to maximize track space to the detriment of appearance.

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to RMweb and what an excellent layout with some wonderful scenery as others have said very realistic and nicely presented ...keep the story coming will be following with interest.

I'm actually coming over to the US next month and intend to do some 'Rail Faning' around the Finger Lakes Short line in NY state. Stumbled upon it on our way back to Boston a couple of years ago whilst we were staying at Watkins Glen and was very impressed so will get some more picture / video this time around ...

Thanks for sharing your layout /cheers  

Always liked the 2381 as well. It did look impressive in maroon and gold as well as red and white.There was an article about it in the SOO magazine a few years ago. One of the interesting details in the article was the loco was completely wrecked in an accident and rebuilt. It also seems to have had the rear most fan plated over as well although I've only seen that in a drawing.

Colin

• Like 1