Chain Link Coupling for 00

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

So does anyone know where I can get some links from, I have a pack of Smiths 3-links but notice that the Bachmann hooks work well and the smiths chain will fit. I could buy a load of smiths 3 links, but it seems a bit wasteful if all I need to do is fit chains to the existing hooks ......

TIA

Ian

So does anyone know where I can get some links from, I have a pack of Smiths 3-links but notice that the Bachmann hooks work well and the smiths chain will fit. I could buy a load of smiths 3 links, but it seems a bit wasteful if all I need to do is fit chains to the existing hooks ......

TIA

Ian

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=541_542_543&product_id=3946

• RMweb Gold

hmmm,

thanks for that, but that works out more expensive that buying Smiths and throwing away the hooks/springs/pins. I need 32 wagon's worth, that means 4 packs of either. Including postage  that's £27 from C&L or £23.70 for the Smiths from eBay. As I already have two packs of Smiths it's a bit of a no brainer ;)

I take it that this is in 4mm? I simply make my own from tinned copper wire wound round a former made from scrap brass - I think it's about 3mm x 1.5mm so the resulting links are dlightly larger - with the corners rounded. If you wind up a coil you can then cut the links with a Stanley knife or similar. The wire is scrap from telephony, the brass is leftover etch so the links are more or less cost free.

Adam

... the Bachmann hooks work well ...

My experience on a 40 wagon van train: they do - at first - but then pull out of the bufferbeam. So you cement them back in. After a couple of years those at the ends of the train begin to break (it is hauled in both directions) which terminated the experiment. Conclusion: metal drawhooks required for this duty on my operation.

Just measured some "bell wire" - I have a drum of it, guess what, 0.5mm :)

Almost certainly the same stuff I have lengths of. I really have no idea why more people don't make their own links; it must be one of the quickest, easiest, modelling tasks there is! I make up couplings in batches as a timesaver; they have their own clearly labelled tin so I can just fish out the appropriate coupling for whatever I'm building rather than having to fire the soldering iron up specially, mucking around with metal black and so on. Just the thing for a damp evening.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Here's my first "proof of concept" coupling - I had a scrap of wire handy, enough for 4 links. A bit rough and ready, the former is a bit wide, so the links are a bit too long compared to the Smith's ones.

post-6717-0-26963500-1377687334_thumb.jpg

and the Smith's links on the Bachmann hook for comparison

post-6717-0-20573600-1377688670_thumb.jpg

Not bad for a first go though and as you say, free :)

IMHO, his wire, at 0.37mm, is too thin, (see post 3)

it should be 0.5mm (= 1.5" in 4mm scale).

Also, although they are pre-made, you would still

need to solder them. They are not designed for

actually pulling wagons, just for activating the

uncoupling system.

I just picked some 0.5mm florists wire (silver)

from HobbyCraft for £1.99, a sort of roll on a

stick. I had to check it was magnetic, as I am

using it replace the Wizard supplied stuff for

S & W couplings.

Jeff

hmmm,

thanks for that, but that works out more expensive that buying Smiths and throwing away the hooks/springs/pins. I need 32 wagon's worth, that means 4 packs of either. Including postage  that's £27 from C&L or £23.70 for the Smiths from eBay. As I already have two packs of Smiths it's a bit of a no brainer ;)

In the past, I have obtained both normal and Instanter Smith's links from Mainly Trains, even though they weren't listed; might it be worth contacting Smith's direct to see if they can help you?

• RMweb Gold

I've got all the wagons sorted now with home made links made from 0.5mm copper wire wrapped round a plasticard former 3.75mm wide, 1mm thick

post-6717-0-81524200-1377861159_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-61272800-1377861174_thumb.jpg

I had to replace one hook with a Smiths as it had got bashed and would not allow the home made link to "click" into place. It is possible that I will have to replace more in future, but I am happy to wait and see.

Paul Chetter has added a "wagons picking up" clanking sound effect to my 8F and Standard Eight sound chips - so I can play at Peterborough :)

TIA

Ian

Only just noticed this post Ian. Some years ago Slaters supplied me with their steel links in bulk, which at the time I was using for door handle lops in 7mm narrow gauge. I bet they would still supply if asked, they're pretty good like that.

Phil T.

Archived