Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It looks like the next working will be the break down crane as the K2 seems to have the points set against it.

We've had this problem before. It's a three way point. I can assure you that though it looks wrong, it isn't

• Like 1

This REALLY is the most enjoyable thread: lovely images provoking memories galore.

I reckon the weathering on Sir Walter is spot on, it's how I remember A1's looking, at least until the darker days I prefer to forget.

• Like 1

I reckon the weathering on Sir Walter is spot on, it's how I remember A1's looking, at least until the darker days I prefer to forget.

Thanks Jeff. I was glad to be able to find a pair of photographs of 60143, one of which from 1958, that showed what a Gateshead loco looked like; careworn. One of the more camera-shy of the A1s from what I can gather.

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium

More than anything else, what I enjoy about this thread is not the modelling, not the pleasure we all get from the photos, but the obvious pleasure that you get from this wonderful layout. I have this image of you in the room with a huge smile on your face all the time and to me, that is what makes it all the more enjoyable to see your updates.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have emailed a plan titled GNR Peterborough Station Combined Cattle Pens and Loading Wharf.

Thanks Richard, but I can't fathom out where it might have fitted in. It looks very early, so perhaps it disappeared during one of the 19th century reorganisations?No grand gates like that round the immediate station area by the 1950's, that's for sure. Unless you know otherwise?

• RMweb Premium

More than anything else, what I enjoy about this thread is not the modelling, not the pleasure we all get from the photos, but the obvious pleasure that you get from this wonderful layout. I have this image of you in the room with a huge smile on your face all the time and to me, that is what makes it all the more enjoyable to see your updates.

You are spot on there. The decision to start again was not an easy one, but it has worked on so many different levels, and I do get a huge amount of enjoyment from it. It's a lovely room to be in, the work of some very gifted people is great to look at, and even the operational side of it has worked out the way I hoped it would. So, yes, the big grin is there most of the time, but it does slip occasionally when things fall off or otherwise misbehave.Or like today when I was railing up a parcels train and found that I had lost a number of vans. I turned the room upside down, looked in every drawer, but could I find them? They were in Platform 6, hidden by the island platform building and the awnings. :blind: So much for my new glasses.

• Like 3

Thanks Richard, but I can't fathom out where it might have fitted in. It looks very early, so perhaps it disappeared during one of the 19th century reorganisations?No grand gates like that round the immediate station area by the 1950's, that's for sure. Unless you know otherwise?

I think this is the site referred to as Spital Dock goods station by Clinker's Register and listed as Spital Cattle Docks in the 1912 RCH handbook. It appeared after 1886, by 1901, was formally closed 17.04.1967 and the pens had disappeared by late 1970. The entrance looks as though it was at the junction of Lord Mayors Walk (which crossed the railway at Spital Bridge) and Westwood Street. Mileage of the pens probably about 76m 60ch on the Up side. Any more information (or correction) welcome!

Andy

• Like 1

Now you have explained about the 3 way I can see it. Great views though.

Not sure about the 3-way point setting in the earlier view of the approaching "Deltic" though.....

I think the popularity of Gilbert's layout, apart from the very high standard of modelling, excellent range of locos and stock, quality trackwork and structures, is that it's a model of a REAL PLACE. That brings back memories to so many, who can thus add their own thoughts and comments into making this model appear so realistic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure about the 3-way point setting in the earlier view of the approaching "Deltic" though.....

I think the popularity of Gilbert's layout, apart from the very high standard of modelling, excellent range of locos and stock, quality trackwork and structures, is that it's a model of a REAL PLACE. That brings back memories to so many, who can thus add their own thoughts and comments into making this model appear so realistic.

Ah, but you see Peter Deltic is in fact held at signals waiting for the conflicting movement by the pilot to take place. :sungum: As to your second comment, it's a bit of a double edged sword modelling a prototype. Yes, people can refer back to their own memories, but that means that they know if I've got it wrong!. I hate sweeping generalisations, but I think that a model of a prototype is always more likely to look "right" than a model of an imaginary setting, purely because it mimics the real thing. I repeat though, that's a general comment, as there have been many fabulous models of imaginary places that have been and are totally convincing.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the up home signal's off to me on the layout pic Gilbert............

Well, only a little bit Peter, and only because we haven't got round to fitting servos yet, so I can't always reset the arms precisely by hand. My intentions were good though. :angel:

• RMweb Premium

What an utterly foul and filthy day! It's only redeeming feature is that I have no need or reason to go outside, so I have finished off another day's sequence.

post-98-0-75222100-1335709679_thumb.jpg

First arrival is a Cambridge B12 with the Colchester- Edinburgh service. I've checked my WTT, and that is how it is described. It's now past 2100 on an August evening, so dark or very nearly. Do you agree that the effect of this shot is almost as if taken by moonlight? No? Oh please yourselves then as Frankie Howerd used to say - it was worth a try.

Next comes yet more coal for London. There will be a steady stream of these trains throughout the night.

post-98-0-86873100-1335710064_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-29133100-1335710110_thumb.jpg

I've just been looking again at an old Railway Observer, in which a correspondent refers to a loco as "the dregs of Gateshead". The description is sadly all too appropriate in this case.

post-98-0-27950600-1335710151_thumb.jpg

What were 52A thinking of when they rostered this to such a prestigious working as the Talisman?

post-98-0-27631400-1335710364_thumb.jpg

And today's intruding extraneous object is...... the top of a bottle of superglue. The stanley knife must be on holiday. :D

Typical! All the spotters have had to go home by now, so two rare Gateshead locos are in view at the same time.

post-98-0-45677400-1335710549_thumb.jpg

We then see 60514 on a KX goods- York parcels duty.

post-98-0-66177900-1335710715_thumb.jpg

And then one of these new fangled diesel things on the Delaval sidings - Holloway ECS. You'd think it would be given a more prestigious duty than this wouldn't you? Mind you, they did keep breaking down. ;)

post-98-0-35128100-1335710817_thumb.jpg

Our last image of this working day is of Woolwinder with the 8.10pm KX- Newcastle.

post-98-0-08990500-1335710992_thumb.jpg

So now I need to go and set everything up for the start of the next sequence, and to try to remember to record how long it takes to work right through from start to finish.

• Like 16

Ah, Chamossaire, loco of my boyhood dreams.

Along with Woodcock, whose corridor tender we ventured through whilst it was on shed at Doncaster, and Hal O' the Wynd, sitting waiting entry to the works, but could be viewed nicely by running along "Dog **** alley" and viewing through the tiny gaps in the fence.

Unfortunately, running along there whilst NOT looking where one was putting one's feet aptly revealed why spotters chose to call it that.

Edited by JeffP
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

have a look at this, around 2mins 15 in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZIm31P3cqc&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for that - very interesting, and not just the Peterborough bit. I did get quite excited at one stage as the train came into Platform 2. There was a piece of S&T equipment at the end of that platform, which has so far failed to show up well enough on any photo for us to be able to tell exactly what it was. Here at last was the answer.......until steam from the carriage heating in the train at platform 3 obscured the view just at the vital moment. :angry:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

is this what you are looking at Gilbert?

Yes, that's it, but we can't quite identify what it is, and I haven't yet seen anything better than this shot. It looks like a route indicator, but it doesn't appear on the signal box diagram, and it's hard to see what routes other than Up main it could signal anyway.