Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Nice shot of 60500 departing at that moment Michael pointed out! Pity about the music...

Thinking about the location, was there a bend beyond that platform obscuring a signal? If not, then it is most likely a starter indicator.

• RMweb Gold

similar looking things at Doncaster????

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=23393

They're stencil route indicators - which is not the case with the 'thing' at Peterboro' as it is not alongside a signal. And as it's facing oncoming traffic it clearly isn't a Limit of Shunt board.

I think it might be a repeater of some sort - being used instead of a normal banner for clearance reasons possibly?

Edited by The Stationmaster

another shot of the later tube post version..

5559284627_65340451fd_b.jpg

cambs - north box peterborough ex gnr c70 JL by johnmightycat1, on Flickr

Apologises for going OT, but is that a Southern snowplough on the right? I'm aware that the Southern used ex Schools Class tenders as the basis for their snowploughs and the tender in the pic looks a lot like a Schools Class one to me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that mystery apparatus may have some purpose for the banking locomotives after they helped start the long heavy expresses on the sharply curved platform tracks?

• RMweb Premium

Don't know how long the platforms were at the old P'boro North, but could it be an "off" indicator for lengthy trains that extended beyond the end of the platform?

The Up platform was the longest, and would hold 13 bogies. which was the longest scheduled formation, so there would not have been many longer than that I think.

• RMweb Premium

I think that mystery apparatus may have some purpose for the banking locomotives after they helped start the long heavy expresses on the sharply curved platform tracks?

Trains on the Up main were not banked for some reason, so that seems to rule that theory out, but thanks for the suggestion.

• RMweb Premium

there is what appears to be a box under the home on the bracket signal in the background

.6382879881_11b8607819_b.jpg

0292 by andersley2010, on Flickr

I think that would be a route indicator. Ken Gibbons and I thought there must be another signal towards Crescent Bridge, but it is clear from the photos that Andy Y attached to my article in MI 3 that there wasn't, so I assume that box, which isn't there on earlier photos by the way, would be to show whether the train was routed to the Up main or to the spur down to East station. Same function as the feather on the colour light at the South end of Platform 2.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can see what Gilbert means, its.always just obscured.

6812680878_b9ea54a03d_b.jpg

1961 - ''Great Eastern'' on the Great Northern.. by rgadsdon, on Flickr

6382872735_2fe95a0544_b.jpg

0257 by andersley2010, on Flickr

wonder what that is on the side of the A4?

There was some discussion about this object in one of the magazines recently, but I don't recall what the answer was, except that it wasn't a wing mirror. :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, I go out for the evening and then for a round of golf this morning, and find all this information and many suggestions when I sign in again. :thankyou: Thanks to all who have contributed and particularly to Michael for the photos and clips he has found. I still don't know what the answer is as to the function of the thing, but I do now have a much better idea of what it looked like. I don't think it was a starter, as its at the wrong end of the platform. Might be a repeater, but again I think the colour light signal at the South end would be visible under the overall roof, in which case a repeater would not really be necessary. I know that trains were often called on into platform 2 behind a train which was already there, so it could be to do with that, but there is what appears to be a calling on arm on the signal further up by the entrance to the carriage sidings which I had assumed performed that function. So, any further suggestions, or preferably solutions will be gratefully received.